PDA

View Full Version : Germs sent to space come back meaner, scientist reports

Prrkitty
09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/09/25/germs.in.space.ap/index.html

Quote: Germs sent to space come back meaner, scientist reports

But it really happened.

The germ: Salmonella, best known as a culprit in food poisoning.

The trip: Space shuttle mission STS-115, September 2006.

The reason: Scientists wanted to see how space travel affects germs, so they took some along -- carefully wrapped -- for the ride.

The result: Mice that were fed the space germs were three times more likely to get sick, and died more quickly, than mice fed identical germs that had remained behind on Earth.

---------

How interesting. "... microgravity changed the bacteria's genes"

Cloral
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
It could have also been galactic radiation. Even though spacegoing vessels are shielded, they still don't block as much radiation as our atmosphere does.

I seem to recall some b-grade movie that was based on a similar concept. Everyone who went into space eventually went insane and started killing people.

rock_nog
09-25-2007, 05:01 PM
It could have also been galactic radiation. Even though spacegoing vessels are shielded, they still don't block as much radiation as our atmosphere does.

I seem to recall some b-grade movie that was based on a similar concept. Everyone who went into space eventually went insane and started killing people.
Throw in a teleporter, and that sounds like the plot for Doom.

Rainman
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm guessing the harsh space environment caused them to evolve in such a way that coincidentally killed mice better.

Interesting experiment.

Pineconn
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I suppose that this can't be proved until they do it again. The fact that the bacteria strengthened may have been a coincidence of ...something. I don't know, but I'm still not entirely convinced that simply by bringing them into space, they got stronger.

The_Amaster
09-25-2007, 10:38 PM
The new space race is on. It's time to see who can breed the best biological weapons in space, so we can use them to combat...terrorists and stuff, ya know.

But...but once we've killed all of the terrorists, we'll retire them, really we will. We won't use them to try to impose our will on others and stuff.

(Looks around suspiciously) Although...we should keep some around, just in case. After all, you never know when the Russians might get some too. We should be prepared to use the bacteria on them.

(I can see this happening)

Glitch
09-26-2007, 03:18 AM

Or they wear a diaper and drive across country to kill a lady who's sleeping with the same man as them. Oh wait...that actually happened.

DarkDragoonX
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I think I'd be pretty pissed too if I was minding my own business and suddenly some jackass launched me into orbit.