PDA

View Full Version : Roc's Feather

Joe123
09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
As I'm sure everyone knows very well, the Roc's feather can break quests because you can jump over warp tiles that take you to cutscenes etc. Is there any way I can stop this without putting a solid combo on the other side of the warp?

Praethus
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
If you are familiar with scripting you can use a script to initiate your cutscene.

Joe123
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not really, although I could probably write a script that if link walks past a certain X or Y coordinate it warps him, doesn't sound too complicated. Thanks.

ShadowTiger
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
while(true) {
if ( Link->z > 1 && Link->x >= 32 && Link->x <= 64 && Link->y >= 32 && Link->y <= 64 )
warpcodegoeshere;
}
Waitframe();

Eh, something like that. I dunno. X x. Basic layout. VERY basic and highly defunct like its creator.

Majora
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
OR you could disable the feather on the DMap that the cutscene is in.

erm2003
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
OR you could disable the feather on the DMap that the cutscene is in.

I was going to mention this too, but the concern is triggering the cutscene, not within the scene itself. You may still want the item working there.

ShadowMancer
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I think there is a 'No Jump zone' combo try that

Freedom
09-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I think there is a 'No Jump zone' combo try that

Just tried it, don't work.
That is something that does need addressed either with a flag or added to a combo, flag would be better, wouldn't need a zillion different combos that way.

_L_
09-26-2007, 01:28 AM
No Jump Zones are for enemies only. (I suppose it deserves to be renamed, then.)

Now, the Plan (as I saw it) was for DN's Terrific Combo Type Editor to include an "affects jumping Link" flag of some sort. But, that will be arriving later rather than sooner.

So, just off the top of my head, I could perhaps make a Quest Rule that makes either Direct Warp or Stair combos affect jumping Link, with the intent to discontinue it later once the Combo Type Editor is running. (It can't be a Screen Flag because we can't have a Combo Type's functionality changing on a screen-by-screen basis.)

Shoelace
09-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Well, long ago, this was a issue that I first brought up because it kills my events and cutscenes. I suggested another combo type: Direct Warp or Stair combos, that would trigger on the Z-axis. But I know that won't happen as there is a freeze on suggestions. But if there was a direct warp or Stair combo quest rule that would affect all of them, which would make Roc's Feather useless except for side scrolling places.

So yeah, I still would vote for the Direct Warps and Stair Combos that would trigger with the Z-axis.

Joe123
09-26-2007, 03:00 AM
no _L_, don't make that... It may stop the roc's feather being bugging in some aspects, but it makes it COMPLETELY useless to ever use as an item, because you can no longer make pits that you can jump over...
Couldn't you do it as a Dmap flag or something?

erm2003
09-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Is there a way you can put enough warp combos down so that it's impossible to jump over them all? That would certainly avoid having to do anything else about this issue for now.

Freedom
09-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Is there a way you can put enough warp combos down so that it's impossible to jump over them all? That would certainly avoid having to do anything else about this issue for now.

Problem with that is you have it trigger way before you wanted it to

Russ
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
no _L_, don't make that... It may stop the roc's feather being bugging in some aspects, but it makes it COMPLETELY useless to ever use as an item, because you can no longer make pits that you can jump over...

Couldn't the quest rule just effect the stair and direct warp D combos. Who actually uses 4 stairs on one screen, and then puts them all in a position where they could be jumped over? Or I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make a script that brings you to the cutscene when you reach a certain x y position.

Joe123
09-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I did think of that actually. It should work really, although you'd have to make it clear in the quest rule screen what it actually does. Actually, a lot of the quest rules should be made clear as to what they do.

Shoelace
09-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Russdwan, that is a great idea in my opinion for a quest rule to use warp D and or C for a warp. That would help a little for the time being in my opinion. However, I don't know how hard that would be to program that.

koopa
09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Can you disable the feather on the cutscene dmap? That I think would be something to add if it does not work yet.

Joe123
09-27-2007, 11:19 AM
You can do that, but it doesn't help in stopping you from jumping over the warps to the cutscene.

Also, with the 'Jumping Link appears above Layer 3' rule, it looks great if you jump infront of a tree, but then if you jump from behind it, you jump through the tree, which looks worse than if you don't have the rule checked, and jump into the tree from beneath.

Freedom
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
It needs to be a flag, that way it can be applied exactly when and where you need it, if not that then it needs to be a screen flag so it can be turned off on individual screens

Shoelace
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I forgot about flags for some reason. That would be the best way to go. My game has like cutscenes and events and triggers in every screen basically, so this would be very helpful.

Freedom
09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Yea, flags would be better for sidescrollers because you need both at times, to be able to jump but yet trigger or warp.
In overhead it would be nice too so you can just flag around the trigger or warp, but a screen flag could be used if you watch your design.