PDA

View Full Version : dream jobs and where you are now

MrCow
09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
What was the one job you really wanted to do, and where are you now? Are you able to work that job or are you working your way up to that job? Are you settling for something else? Discuss where your life has taken you along your path of growing up and joining the working force.

biggiy05
09-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Dream job is firefighter/paramedic with the Columbus Division of Fire.

Did I get it? Not yet. I had heart related problems in late 2005 that led to a syncope and lots of tests. That led to a surgery in February of this year to have two bars put in my chest. Another surgery in March to have one of the bars removed because it came loose somehow.

I'm starting my Emt-Basic which is the first part of becoming a paramedic. I'll take the paramedic course in the summer or winter depending on when I can get into it and if I feel ready for it. I decided not too long ago that I don't see my self with the CFD and not even living in Ohio. I can see my self proposing to my girlfriend in the near future and working full time at a fire station in Kansas and part time(few days a month) as an ER nurse at a hospital.

I didn't really settle for less but wanted more I guess you could say. I want a degree in medicine so I'm going for a nursing degree but I wanted a degree in the fire science field so I'm getting both.

Modus Ponens
09-22-2007, 10:33 PM
My dream job is sometime film actor, sometime video game producer.

Right now I live with my parents. I've finished with university, save for one paper that I have to write to finally get my linguistics degree. I'm going to move to Seattle in a couple weeks or so and live in the basement of my sister's house. In Seattle, I hope to worm my way into the video game industry, all the while learning how to make games, and hopefully doing some acting and singing along the way.

I will continue to strive for this goal until I reach it or I die, whichever comes second.

What about you, MrCow?

Breaker
09-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I've lived on my own since I turned 18 and have been working as an insurance adjuster for the last nine months, in which I was an on-the-job trainer for 3 of those months. It was one of the best work experiences I've ever had, and the most well paid.

I recently quit though because I was working 50+hrs a week (40hrs a week plus 10hrs mandatory overtime, then had incentives to do even more hours) and couldn't keep up with school full time.

Now I'm working as a photo lab technician at CVS part time and finishing up my next two semesters before I move to Gainesville and attend the University of Florida, where I'll go for an MBA specializing in International Business/Economics.

Once I move to Gainesville I'll get another job in insurance, hopefully not as many hours as I was working before, and finish school within the next 4-5 years. After that it doesn't matter where I work, as long as I get to travel all over the world.

That kind of degree opens many doors, especially with the experience I'm acquiring in health insurance.

In the mean time I'm just saving as much money as I can and building quite a bit of a nest egg for myself.

rock_nog
09-22-2007, 10:53 PM
My dream job - Ghostbuster. My current situation - well, I've been working as a teaching assistant for the past year, and I'll likely be going back to that just as soon as I'm settled in here... And next semester I'll be going back to school, so I can work on getting my teaching certification. So honestly, I'm not really making much progress at all in that regard. Although I do plan at some point in my life to get out of the field of education entirely and start some completely different career path... We'll see.

gdorf
09-22-2007, 11:45 PM
I intend to become an electrical engineer for a consumer electronics company. At my current rate, I'll be done with school and working in three years. There are a LOT of companies in the area offering internships so I won't have a trouble securing an a position before then.

For now, though, I am working part-time at Starbucks and attending school full time. Starbucks has been good to me, but its time to move onto a job that will supplement my career.

I am pretty lucky because I have a successful brother leading the way ahead of me. He's been working for Logitech as an M.E. for over a year now and I've had a great opportunity to see what life is like for him. Its great to take many of the same classes he did, often from the same professors. Honestly, I am hoping his place in the company will secure me an internship, or even a job. :)

mrz84
09-23-2007, 12:02 AM
I wanted to work in comic books/manga/something art related. Right now I work at the historic Elms Resort and Spa which hosted the likes of Al Capone and Harry S. Truman. I get paid $8 an hour and after 40 hours of work each week, I start getting paid $12 an hour for overtime. I work Set-Up and I set-up banquets, weddings, and other events like that one movie that was filmed here a couple months ago.

I plan on going to college next year at MOWEST in St Joesph and living with my younger brother and his fiancee while I goto school and get a part time job somewhere there.

While I would love to work on my manga, I also have some interest in teaching gradeschool. We'll see what the future brings, eh? :kitty:

erm2003
09-23-2007, 12:03 AM
I sort of knew I wanted to go into education when I was young. I was fortunate enough to keep that interest and I decided that's what I wanted to do with my life. I went to school for six years, getting my Masters in the process, and putting myself over $60,000 in debt. I am in my third year and I really do love what I do, even if it does take up a lot of my time and has me paying off loans until I retire.

MasterSwordUltima
09-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Meh, I never had an aspiration to be anything in particular, so right now I'm at FedEx, which is most likely the worst job ever [unless you're management]. However, since I'm one the only people there who actually get work done [and stay later to help out], I've been told I'd make great management. Only problem is, I've gotta be 21. So for another year and a half, I'm stuck where I am now.

However, Sute has great potential for comics/manga, as her art is unbeleivable. Its also her passion, and she draws a good half of the day, everyday. We've been looking into getting her stuff published for a while, and since I work at FedEx, you get "connections" with all the buisnesses [including publishers ;)]. So once she's got a few chapters done, and a thesis of the plot, she'll [hopefully] get stuff published. That's her dream, and I'd rather see her realize it than some dream job I come up with when I'm in the mood to be something. So if I've gotta work my butt off to do so, so be it.

The_Amaster
09-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I always wanted to be an architect. Failing at that, I know I'd enjoy mechanical engineering. And my dream job would be to get a job with Wizards of the Coast, prefferably working on Magic.

Right now I'm taking all of the engineering classes I can get my hands on, and fortunetly some of them are for collage credit. I want to end up with an undergrad in Mechanical Engineering then take another two years for a Masters in Architecture.

Archibaldo
09-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I want to go into the marketing field. I am currently doing my advanced math so I can get into the business program at UNB.

Lilith
09-23-2007, 01:19 PM
---

Dechipher
09-23-2007, 02:25 PM
My dream job is to teach part time at a high school, developing a strong percussion program, 2 hours every morning and maybe monday/thursday nights for extra practices. Simultaneously I would like to perform with less demanding orchestra, such as the OKC Philharmonic (which I'm actually auditioning for in a month. I won't get the spot, but it'll be good to get on the sublist and possibly play a few gigs with them.) This would take up a few nights a week probably. The rest of the time, I would like to be composing for various endeavors, such as video games, percussion ensembles, and my own various projects.

Another scenario is to play for pit orchestras for musicals. There's a ton of money in that, and it could be fun. I've played a run through of Little Women a total of 9 times since last Sunday (and if this were the real world, I'd be getting paid for it) and I think I could do this for a living, at least for a while.

Another scenario is to audition for the Blue Man Group after I graduate. I'm not sure of the time commitments for that, but it would require me to move to one of 5 specified locations.

Where I am right now, I'm pursuing degrees in Music Composition and Percussion Performance, teaching drumline at a high school every morning, and playing a few random gigs here and there. As I said, I'm auditioning for the OKC Philharmonic mid October, and though I stand a small chance of making it, I would at least like to do well and perhaps be called to do a service at some point.

Petoe
09-23-2007, 03:54 PM
My ultimate dream job would be a video game director/producer. Now I'm just creating games as a hobby.
But a more realistic dream job is to become a train/engine driver. I've always wanted to operate a train, it just seems like such a cool job with lots of responsibilty. You get to drive fast and modern trains and get to see the world. :)

Right now I'm working at Helsinki Public Works Department. At summers I take care of the city's green areas (in the park unit) and during winters I drive a snow plough (in the street unit). It's not the best job on earth and the salary is quite pathetic, but I am satisfied and this is a very versatile job.

Brasel
09-23-2007, 04:00 PM
My dream job is to own a computer shop where I can custom build computers and fix computers for customers, but I don't plan on opening a shop...too risky. Instead I'm getting my Microsoft certifications and possibly my Cisco certifications and probably going to work for a company as an IT guy when I get out of the army. Currently, I'm the network administrator for my battalion. We're leaving for Iraq in just a couple of weeks.

AtmaWeapon
09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Why didn't you post your answer? Is this some kind of interview question and you were hoping to get an essay-sized response from someone?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :mad:

Flash Man
09-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Software Engineer: ten classes until I have my Associates in Computer Science then two years for Bachelors in Software Engineering. I might go back for a Masters in Business Administration.

Breaker
09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Are we doing your homework, MrCow? That question sounds like an assignment.

MrCow
09-23-2007, 10:10 PM
No, not at all. I'm just curious as to the current state of people getting what they want out of their careers. Its just something thats been a curiosity of mine for a while. I'm not even taking a class that would touch a question like this.

Darth Marsden
09-24-2007, 04:36 AM
Dream job: Author. Maybe acting, but that's a pipedream, really.

Reality: I've done nothing but take temp jobs since I quite my initial job at Tesco and went to University. My latest is an early morning 5-11 3-day week at Sainsbury's in Stock Control.

Ideally I really do want to write, but I have trouble putting my thoughts into just the right words. It's incredibly frustrating, and explains why I haven't gotten anywhere with that novel I was posting here a few months back - I simply don't know how to continue with it. I know what happens, it's just the right way to describe that which seems to be eluding me. That's why I distract myself with the South Park stories - I can do those because someone's already done the hard part - I just tweak it for my own ends.

I WILL get back to that novel, but... I dunno, it's just the longer I put it off, the harder it seems to get back into it. Someday though.

moocow
09-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I want to do something in Photography. I realized recently that I hate sports photography, so that's out of the question. I've always thought about photo journalism... I want to go back to school at some point, but not until my life settles down a little.

Right now I'm a receptionist at a Cadillac dealership. Don't be fooled, I don't make that much money... about $320 a week and half of my paycheck goes to bills each week. Except one, over half of one of my checks is my car payment. So yeah, there's the skinny.

Breaker
09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
No, not at all. I'm just curious as to the current state of people getting what they want out of their careers. Its just something thats been a curiosity of mine for a while. I'm not even taking a class that would touch a question like this.

I figured as much, I was only making a joke. :P

Dechipher
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Dream job: Author. Maybe acting, but that's a pipedream, really.

Reality: I've done nothing but take temp jobs since I quite my initial job at Tesco and went to University. My latest is an early morning 5-11 3-day week at Sainsbury's in Stock Control.

Ideally I really do want to write, but I have trouble putting my thoughts into just the right words. It's incredibly frustrating, and explains why I haven't gotten anywhere with that novel I was posting here a few months back - I simply don't know how to continue with it. I know what happens, it's just the right way to describe that which seems to be eluding me. That's why I distract myself with the South Park stories - I can do those because someone's already done the hard part - I just tweak it for my own ends.

I WILL get back to that novel, but... I dunno, it's just the longer I put it off, the harder it seems to get back into it. Someday though.

I'm in no way any kind of literary artist, but one thing I've learned from composition is that the more limits you put on yourself, the easier it is to write. That's why you plot out an entire piece and do all this crazy stuff before you ever write a note. Perhaps the same approach would help with writing a novel; I don't know. Thought it might be worth mentioning though.

Aegix Drakan
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Dream job: Video game designer/producer/idea thinker upper

Secondary job target: flash site/program designer.

Current situation: In a college career program, in graphic design. I'm in my last year.

Seriously, I would LOVE to design gmaes for a living, or have at least some hand in their development. But seeing as I don't have my math 436-536 (stupid Grade 9 homework...), It' not really possible... but I'm willing to settle for web site/flash designer. Of meybe doing the covers/manuals for games. That would be cool too.

Right now, Game design is just a hobby...but dammit, it'd be a great career...:rolleyes:

Lilith
09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
---

MrCow
09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I've been writing on and off for some time as a hobby. I start out really good but then I just never find the time to see it through. I'd like to someday write something good enough to get publishes, but thats just a hobby for me.
I've kinda always wanted to be in law enforcement but with anxiety its a tough situation. I'm not sure what really draws me towards it but its something I've always thought of doing. I'd want to be a detective or higher. I would work my ass off to get away from being a patrolman asap.