PDA

View Full Version : Something nifty you can do with the Whistle now

_L_
09-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Observe the attached illustration. Has the Whistle become this generation's Hookshot?

Here are some hints for making the most of this phenomenon:
* Enable the "Allow Whistle Whirlwinds" flag in your dungeon DMaps, of course.
* Uncheck the "One Whirlwind Per Screen" misc. flag for the Whistle.
* Enable the "Whistle Whirlwind Returns Link To Start" flag if you don't want to deal with the Warp Rings business.
* Enable the "Magic Mirrors Reflect Whistle Whirlwinds" quest rule for considerably more fun.

CastChaos
09-21-2007, 08:29 AM
This is a stylish way for inscreen teleporting... I learned another beta trick! Good that I look here once in two months (duh). For maximal effectiveness, let's place "block all" blocks (2nd duh) to the whole opposite side, so that the inscreen warping doesn't turn into a Farore's wind, thus removing the feeling.

Seriously... I thought no code can stop the whirlwind AFTER touching Link... I knew that the "swallow Link" is in effect at the whirlwind, but didn't know that he can come out in the same screen...

For gaps, the hookshot is still usable, I'd rather use this for going through walls... Plus, this could be used to stop Link warping back to the entrance... by making some rooms' walls "block all" combos.

Aegix Drakan
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
ooooohhhh

This is really sweet _L_.

C-Dawg
09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
In this setup, what happens if the Whistle Whirlwind takes Link off the screen and does not encounter a block-all?

Freedom
09-21-2007, 12:54 PM
That's when your Link ends up in my game. ;)
He just keeps going like that energizer bunny, off into oblivion. ;)

Joe123
09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
This is really clever.
I might actually make use of it.
Although you get the whistle after the hookshot in my quest...

What is it with bunnys and batteries? Duracell has them also...

beefster09
09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Can't you control the direction of the whirlwind ingame with the Item Editor? (y'know so that it comes from/to the direction you are facing) That would make very interesting puzzles.

Pheonix
09-22-2007, 09:52 AM
You can make it so that the whistle comes in the direction you're facing.

Anyway... you gave me an idea for my dungeon which you get the whistle in (which, bizzarely, happens to be Level 6...)! Now we only need a way of there being unlimited whistle blows per screen and we can create mind-blowing puzzles involving the whistle that involve more than just blowing it on a handily-marked floor tile!

Russ
09-22-2007, 11:25 AM
There is a way to make unlimted whirlwinds per screen. Uncheck the "One wistle whirwind per screen on the whistle with the item editor.

Pineconn
09-23-2007, 02:20 PM
* Enable the "Magic Mirrors Reflect Whistle Whirlwinds" quest rule for considerably more fun.

I suppose that wouldn't make much sense if you're using a duck instead of a whirlwind? ;)

_L_
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Why not? If you're using a duck sprite for the whirlwind, use a whirlwind tile for the mirrors. Clockwise whirlwind for /, counterclockwise for \.

Stungun
09-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I suppose whistle whirlwinds won't be affected by magic prisms, then...

Joe123
09-28-2007, 06:16 PM
ooooo that could be interesting...

punkonjunk1024
09-28-2007, 07:46 PM
that's really neat, L. let's hope it's not causing trouble elsewhere and gets scrapped after we all stick it into our stupid beta quests. :P