PDA

View Full Version : Smash Bros. Brawl - Wi-Fi confirmed

rock_nog
09-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Wow, that was a bit unexpected. I was sure they had just completely abandoned it. But yeah, just today, they announced that there will be Wi-Fi. So far, it looks like you can either have battles against friends (ugh, friend codes), or random people. Also, apparently it seems there will be other modes, too, which will be announced as time goes on.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi01.html

Matteo
09-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Just went from a maybe to a must buy

Din
09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Wow, now you get to pwn anybody who knows or doesn't know you. Awesome!

Yoshiman
09-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Woo, this may just be enough to get me to start saving for a Wii. Though, I hope they don't do anything stupid with the Wi-Fi like they did with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (only able to trade Pokemon that you've already seen/no battle with random people).

I also hope that any forms of glitching doesn't become large in Wi-Fi battles. It just ruins the gaming experience.

DarkFlameWolf
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
I immediately offer myself up as a combatant to whoever wants to fight against me and my Link character. ^_^

ShadowTiger
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
I immediately offer myself up as a combatant to whoever wants to fight against me and my Link character. ^_^

We could've done this on the '64 already, online, and yes DFW, I'll gladly see your stuff.

BTW, first official match is between me and Hunter P of PureZC. Be there. ;)

*Already has it pre-ordered a month ago*

Pineconn
09-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Very nice decision. And if I had a Wii, I'd so take you on with my Link. ;)

Russ
09-18-2007, 07:45 PM
This is definitly the deciding factor for me. I have to get it now. And I will creame you all with my Link. I can beat almost anyone I kow on both of the other smash bros. games with Link.

MasterSwordUltima
09-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I love how different this thread is compared to every other one on GameFAQs. :D

Everyone there is saying how there isn't a ranking system [as of yet] because of what happened with Metroid Prime Hunters, some players had win percentages of 99.999999 or whatever.

Also, I'd totally set one of my taunts to <(''<) <( '' )> (>'')> for when I play as Kirby. Because its EPIC.

vegeta1215
09-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Am I the only one who is not shocked? I mean, a while back when Nintendo mentioned they were looking into doing Wifi with Smash Bros Brawl, I just assumed it was a done deal :shrug:

It'll be a shame if it does really use the friend code system that the DS uses. Having separate codes for each game is just a pain. I understand they're doing it to protect kids, but it would be nice if it was an option - although MP3 isn't quite the same (it's Wii Connect 24 as opposed to a direct connection), it has shown that Wii codes are enough to get two console's talking.

DarkDragoonX
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Am I the only one who is not shocked? I mean, a while back when Nintendo mentioned they were looking into doing Wifi with Smash Bros Brawl, I just assumed it was a done deal :shrug:

It'll be a shame if it does really use the friend code system that the DS uses. Having separate codes for each game is just a pain. I understand they're doing it to protect kids, but it would be nice if it was an option - although MP3 isn't quite the same (it's Wii Connect 24 as opposed to a direct connection), it has shown that Wii codes are enough to get two console's talking.

I agree on both counts... I thought Wifi was pretty much a no duh, and friend codes are a bit annoying.

Nevertheless, I look forward to beating people down once the game hits, although the changes to the roster are enough that it'll probably take me a while to settle on my favorite character.

erm2003
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Yep this is really a must buy now! I am glad to see they seem to be thinking this thing through when it comes to Wifi options. I like what they have so far. It may use the friend codes, but you don't need to know other's codes to play against them, but you do need them to keep the stats of your fights.

rock_nog
09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
For a while, it had seemed that they were gonna scrap wifi. Since the original announcement at E3 last year, there hasn't been a peep about wifi until just now. I am annoyed, though that random battles will have no usernames (oh no, the kiddies might see bad words), and no taunts (again, oh no, the kiddies). I understand Nintendo finds itself in a difficult spot, trying to maintain it's kid-friendly image, but this is just annoying.

The thing is, until now, Nintendo had been good at just focusing on making good games, to the point where you wouldn't notice all the effort that had gone into making them as non-offensive and kid-friendly as possible. However, the Internet is new territory here, and it's painfully obvious that they have no freakin' clue how to handle it.

Aegix Drakan
09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow, Link is very popular. If I had a wii + this game + A freaking decent internet connection, I'd take you all on with MY link...and get horribly pwned, no doubt.

Unless Sonic is in. Then I'll use him. And still get seriously Pwned.

mrz84
09-19-2007, 12:34 AM
And I'll pwn all the links as Samus. In the suit and out. *if you can't tell, Samus is my fav character and I've hardly lost to anybody aside from DO as her* :kitty:

To get back on topic, woot to the power of ten. I will get a wii and brawl. Oh yes. I will. :kitty:

ShadowTiger
09-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, who here has ever defeated a pro smasher?

Now who has defeated anyone who has defeated a pro?

I look forward to playing with you all. I hope their Samus is as fearsome as she managed to become in melee.

I also hope Falco makes his return. He should, if the 'Climbers did. I just hope Marth returns as well. He made for some smashing force.

If anyone is interested in how I play at Melee, I did some comparisons, and my Samus and Link are strikingly similar to those employed by one "Aniki." Go youtube for videos. The Wii browser can't link to stuff for shytt.

mrz84
09-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I've yet to play a pro smasher, but would love to take up the challenge someday. :kitty:

vegeta1215
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I can see it now... AGNers connect to SSBB for a 4 player match, and what's the lineup? Link vs Link vs Link vs Link :lol:

ps... I like Link

Majora
09-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I don't care HOW, so long as I get the MONEY for a Wii + Brawl. Dammit... I need a job.

Also, I challenge anyone here at SSB Online, PM me if interested! :D

ShadowTiger
09-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Heh, he's definitely very, very good as Link. Spin Attacks though, but very capable as Link.

Guys, do Smash online. I can happily walk you through the process.

Good God I hope SSBB doesn't set any of us with ISAI or Ken or Mew2King or anything like that on our first random match. Would be so demoralizing. XD

Majora
09-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Heh, he's definitely very, very good as Link. Spin Attacks though, but very capable as Link.

Guys, do Smash online. I can happily walk you through the process.

Good God I hope SSBB doesn't set any of us with ISAI or Ken or Mew2King or anything like that on our first random match. Would be so demoralizing. XD

pfffft

Every player has a weakness, you just have to find it and exploit it. I dunno about the other two, but all Ken has goin for him (that I've seen) is a fancy way to spike people... SPIKE, as in, KO'ing people the cheap way.

(In the case of Me vs. You, ST, I have yet to find said weakness :p)

Russ
09-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Also, I challenge anyone here at SSB Online, PM me if interested! :D

Would it be stupid to ask what exactly is SSB online? I assume it is what it sounds like, smash bros. online. Anyone want to post a link to it or something?

Majora
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I could link you to the Emulator that supports online play, and then I could NOT PM you a link to the ROM.

Sute
09-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Ha, awesome, I can't wait to beat up 13 year olds playing as Pikachu.
'cuz everyone knows I can only play as that neon colored rat.

punkonjunk1024
09-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, who here has ever defeated a pro smasher?

Now who has defeated anyone who has defeated a pro?

I look forward to playing with you all. I hope their Samus is as fearsome as she managed to become in melee.

I also hope Falco makes his return. He should, if the 'Climbers did. I just hope Marth returns as well. He made for some smashing force.

If anyone is interested in how I play at Melee, I did some comparisons, and my Samus and Link are strikingly similar to those employed by one "Aniki." Go youtube for videos. The Wii browser can't link to stuff for shytt.

I've played quite a number of pro players, and participated in quite a few tourneys - for SSBM, not SSB.

I took a bit of a hiatus, and strangely, just started getting back into it today - Theres apparently a huge tournament very near to where I live. I can't AFFORD IT because I just purchased a damn laptop, but I'm going to go and speculate, and enjoy the scene.

Pro SSBM is something else. Really, you have no idea until you've played these people. If you don't know what wavedashing is, you have a lot to learn.

Warlock
09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I can see it now... AGNers connect to SSBB for a 4 player match, and what's the lineup? Link vs Link vs Link vs Link :lol:

ps... I like Link

Link sucks in Smash Bros. He's a beginner character :P Easy to play, but he doesn't have enough power. But he's good until you unlock some of the others.

I dunno, maybe Brawl will make him better.

mrz84
09-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Link sucks in Smash Bros. He's a beginner character :P Easy to play, but he doesn't have enough power. But he's good until you unlock some of the others.

I dunno, maybe Brawl will make him better.

Well, I don't know about Link, but I've been keeping tabs on Brawl at the Smash Dojo and I'm surprised at a few things. Diddy Kong is going to playable in this game. Diddy. Kong. :odd:
Also the Ice Climbers return along with Ike from FIre Emblem appearing. And the Franklin Badge is an item that reflects attacks. I really can't wait to see the finished game. I know some people probably already know most of what I just said (typed really, but meh) and whatever. Anyways, I'm looking foward to this so I can kick ass and chew gum. :kitty:

punkonjunk1024
09-29-2007, 06:08 AM
Well, I don't know about Link, but I've been keeping tabs on Brawl at the Smash Dojo and I'm surprised at a few things. Diddy Kong is going to playable in this game. Diddy. Kong. :odd:
Also the Ice Climbers return along with Ike from FIre Emblem appearing. And the Franklin Badge is an item that reflects attacks. I really can't wait to see the finished game. I know some people probably already know most of what I just said (typed really, but meh) and whatever. Anyways, I'm looking foward to this so I can kick ass and chew gum. :kitty:

I'm pretty sure none of that information at all is really confirmed yet. Don't get your hopes too high.

erm2003
09-29-2007, 09:36 AM
poj, all of that was confirmed over the past several months. Check out the official site.

www.smashbros.com

Warlock
09-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, what the hell are you talking about? It's on the official site -_-

Skulkraken
10-02-2007, 02:49 AM
Another thing just added to the official site - the main character from Mother 3, Lucas, is going to be in the game. Right now, it looks like he's going to be a Ness clone as far as gameplay is concerned.

My favorite characters are Pikachu, Young Link, and Pichu. I prefer speedy fighters (plus, Pichu seems to have slightly stronger knockback on its moves than Pikachu whenever I play). I played as Yoshi a lot in the N64 version, but not so much now.

punkonjunk1024
10-02-2007, 09:43 AM
It looks like the information I had is absolutely and completely antient.
In other news, I hate all of you.

Now I absolutely cannot wait for december 3rd. You know what they should do? I'm sick of push backs. They should lie about the release date, setting it far AHEAD of when it will happen, then release it like two weeks before that. That would pretty much have me shitting bricks.

Also, I need to purchase a wii.

rock_nog
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
That's why they don't do that, poj. The collective stench of every Nintendo fanboy shitting bricks at the same time would just be unbearable.

Warlock
10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
No, they don't do that because retailers would be absolutely pissed off at them (especially those that take pre-orders). Not to mention, I'm sure SOMEONE would let the cat out of the bag so it likely wouldn't even work.

punkonjunk1024
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
That's why they don't do that, poj. The collective stench of every Nintendo fanboy shitting bricks at the same time would just be unbearable.
I'm not a nintendo fanboy at all. i've been playing nintendo systems since I was a kid, so I'm a bit partial to it... but I actually play my PSP and ps2 more than anything else I own. I don't LIKE sony much, lately, and think the PSP is an incredibly flawed system, but I paid almost nothing for my two, and it basically kicks the gpx's ass for being an emulation tank, and has the interbutts.
yeah, DS is fun, but not so much lately. *shrug* if anything I'd probobly be a PSP fanboy, but I still play my DS. I'm really excited for LOZ:PH.

Why are people so quick to get pissed when someone suggests they like a system? I mean, seriously.

No, they don't do that because retailers would be absolutely pissed off at them (especially those that take pre-orders). Not to mention, I'm sure SOMEONE would let the cat out of the bag so it likely wouldn't even work.

I thought of that right after I posted it. I can't imagine the ammount of work gamestop would have to do to let everyone know the pre-order games will all be in today, suprise! And I know that it would inevitably get leaked, but still, it'd be sweet.

rock_nog
10-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Take a deep breath, poj! It's okay... it was a joke. I'd be shitting bricks, too, if Smash Bros. Brawl came out two weeks early.

ShadowTiger
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I actually hard a rumor (Yay, rumors...) that SSBB was actually already done, and that they're just doing the testing for it now. Quite frankly, considering all the interesting things that SSBM had to offer, I think they really need to do some serious testing. :p

Also, some of the Pro Gamers around me think that they'll have Wavedashing in. They "caught" Metaknight doing a wavedash in one of the videos, but I personally don't believe it. I just think that there tends to be a lot of dust on the ground. Xx.

punkonjunk1024
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I personally feel it looks a lot like a wavedash. I'm sure it wasn't an intentional implement in the original ssbm - but I understand that it has become integral, especially in pro matches, and it really is deeply relevant to the metagame itself. (METAnight, wavedashing, intentional irony? Too subtle to be on purpose.) So I'm hoping it will not only be possible, but actually be highlighted and explained in the tutorials.

Additionally, I'd like to hope the tutorials are updated via online updates or something for when new advanced techniques are inevitably discovered.
but of course, I'm dreaming on that.

I really would be dissapointed if the engine was specifically crafted to prevent wavedashing, or anything similar to it. It would be a dumb move on nintendos part not to include it.

ShadowTiger
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I heard, and can actually understand though, that the only reason wavedashing exists in Melee at all is because they were having some trouble getting diagonally dodging onto the floor to work at all. Characters would loop around the floor and become KO'd when they would air-dodge into the floor. I think this was in version 1.0 of the game, from what I heard, though I can probably deny that.

So they may have had a chance to fix it this time around, though you're most likely right about the necessity and getting used to aspect. I really do hope that it's in as well.