PDA

View Full Version : Five disorders that make sleep scary

Prrkitty
09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/09/17/grim.sleeper/index.html

Quote (sexsomnia): It's embarrassing enough to be told that you snore or mumble in your sleep, but imagine being told that you take off all your clothes, moan in ecstasy, and sometimes even pleasure yourself -- all without any memory of doing so. This is what happens with Sexsomnia.

-------

Wow! I never knew about the sexsomnia one or the sleep eating disorder.

Oh... and the article only lists 4 disorders not 5 (BAD them!).

phattonez
09-18-2007, 12:08 AM
I have sleep paralysis and I hate it so much. At least it's not embarrassing.

Rainman
09-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry, sexsomnia just sound awesome.

Aegix Drakan
09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
*reads*

Sleep eating, huh? >_> that might explain my missing fudge cookies. There is somembody going around at night eating my fudge cookies while sleeping.

But seriously, sexsomnia is just funny to hear about. Probably not funny to experience/see, but funny to hear about.

Dark Nation
09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I have sleep paralysis and I hate it so much. At least it's not embarrassing.
I had no idea that this was a common thing. The fact that I *have* to sleep on my back due to acid reflux doesn't help matters. And, yes to anyone who's never experienced it, it's terribly annoying. You can make sounds and control the rate of your breathing, but anything more than that is very hard to do. I've found that with enough effort, I can force myself out of it, but it's very exhausting. It's like trying to keep your eyes open when you are incredibly sleepy. The trick is to move something like the article suggests and while it's moving, try to move something else. Keep moving and eventually, your body will unlock. I always start by trying to shake my head from side to side. Luckily, my wife can recognize when it's happening and nudge or shake me out it usually.

phattonez
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I usually sleep alone, so I don't have that advantage. My trick is to try to start rolling back and forth and it usually does the trick. The problem I have is that I'll sometimes fall asleep in the afternoon, and wake up with it, but then when I wake up I'm so exhausted that I'll fall right back asleep, and then it happens again, and again, and again. That is what I really get scared of.

I try not to sleep on my back, but I do when I sleep on a couch, and that's when I usually get it. It is very common, but not many people know about it.

I've heard that it's a symptom of narcolepsy, so I add it on to the fact that I am sleepy almost all day long and it makes me think that I'm a narcoleptic.

Lilith
09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I used to have sleep paralysis really terribly all the time when I worked a night job. Now that I'm on a day schedule I very rarely if ever have it. Stop staying up til 5 am and exercise more if it's a prob (although you're a student so idk).

vegeta1215
09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I remember learning about sleep paralysis in psychology. Your body is supposed to be paralyzed while you're asleep, but sometimes if your body doesn't turn it off you wake up and can't move. It's never happened to me, but I can imagine hwo scary that could be.

There is also a condition that is almost the opposite - your body isn't paralyzed while you're sleeping, so you move around almost acting out your dreams while sleep. I think it's called REM without atonia, or something like that. Also scary sounding.

cyberkitten
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
i bounce back and forth....i kick and get violent in my sleep if i'm having a particularly bad dream, and when i first fall asleep or come out of deep sleep into lighter sleep during the night. but i've also had a few episodes of sleep paralysis where i'll get my head turned into a pillow or something so that i have trouble breathing. and then can't move to get air once the suffocating feeling wakes me.
sleep clinics don't seem to help me a lot since they have to witness the problem for them to be able to help. as far as the violent kicking, biting, punching, screaming...sedatives helped, but they seemed to make the paralysis more frequent, so i quit taking them. *shrug*

ZTC
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Sexsomnia

I've had that problem before.

MasterSwordUltima
09-23-2007, 12:39 AM
I've had Pseudoinsomnia before, I'm sure of it. A couple of times when I only had four or five hours to sleep before work.

Also, am I the only one here who can easily fall asleep, under pretty much any circumstance, within approximately two minutes? Its not just when I'm beat from work/whatever, I just naturally find it easy to sleep, and apparently [according to Sute] most people don't do that.

phattonez
09-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Sometimes it takes me a while, but I'm usually pretty fast. I sleep too much and I'm really good at getting to sleep.