PDA

View Full Version : Ps3

Brasel
09-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm nuts. I bought a PS3 last night. Got the 80GB model that came with Motor Storm. It wasn't very good, good thing I got Armored Core 4 with it. Armored Core is really fun so far. I've been a big fan of the series, so I was really looking forward to playing it. I didn't end up getting an XBOX 360 because I have several people in my family that have one, mainly my brother. I can probably play his when I get out of the army and play any of the games for it that I've been wanting to play. Good thing, I'll be able to get Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, and still be able to play Grand Theft Auto 4, Stranglehold and Assassin's Creed. I really like how the SIXAXIS Controller doesn't take batteries. You actually charge it with a USB cable and can unplug it during play. Much better than the batteries I have to buy for my WII remotes. I know this isn't a big PS3 supporting community, but anyone else have one or planning on getting one?

SpykStorm
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I've been wanting one. I've been thinking about getting one in about a month or so. If I do get it I will GTA 4.

MottZilla
09-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I certainly want a PS3. But I don't want to spend so much money on the console itself. Right now the two main PS3 exclusive titles I want are MGS4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma (which is a remake/upgrade of the Xbox game).

About the no batteries, that's not true. The controller has an internal lithium battery. The problem with this is when it eventually dies, you'd have to take apart the controller to replace it, buy a new controller, or leave it connected via USB to use it. Obviously this isn't a problem for now, but years down the line it might. That's why I like how the 360 controller takes batteries or the lithium packs. I wish the PS3's battery were possible to remove. Maybe later it will be changed.

Anyway, the PS3 isn't a bad system to have. Sony just proved something to everyone. The magical number is 400$. People really don't like to pay more than 400$ for a console. Supposively they say that a 40GB model is coming and may be at a lower price point. If this holiday season they have a 40GB model at 400$ and the 80GB model at 500$, they probably won't do too bad. And atleast it's comforting to know that unlike the Xbox 360, the PS3 has the acceptable level of defects which is some minor percentage. Most problems I've heard about the PS3 having are they get the machine and it won't suck in the discs or something.

That's another thing that annoys me. I personally don't like the suck-in type drive. I want a fliptop or better yet a tray. The suck-in type drives have been in cars for ages and are known to fuck discs up. That's why I don't like them, cause they have a very poor reputation.

Anyway, congrats on the PS3.

Brasel
09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I certainly want a PS3. But I don't want to spend so much money on the console itself. Right now the two main PS3 exclusive titles I want are MGS4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma (which is a remake/upgrade of the Xbox game).

About the no batteries, that's not true. The controller has an internal lithium battery. The problem with this is when it eventually dies, you'd have to take apart the controller to replace it, buy a new controller, or leave it connected via USB to use it. Obviously this isn't a problem for now, but years down the line it might. That's why I like how the 360 controller takes batteries or the lithium packs. I wish the PS3's battery were possible to remove. Maybe later it will be changed.

Well, I knew this, obviously. I just get kind of sick of keeping a constant supply of AA's around for my game controllers. Eventually the battery will die but, whatever, I don't have to worry about it right now.

I traded in a couple of old games today at GameStop, and picked up Heavenly Sword and reserved Stranglehold for tomorrow because I got an extra ten bucks in trade to reserve it, and I was going to buy it anyway. Heavenly Sword is really fucking awesome so far. I hear that its kind of short, but I can't really get into long drawn out games these days so it kind of works out for me. I highly recommend playing it.

Vagla
09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Rather than waste battery after battery on your Wii remotes, why not use rechargeables? I've been doing that since I got my Wii at launch and it's been working out great for me. It's nice not to have to go buy batteries all the time.

Additionally, I was always very afraid that the slot drives like on Wii would be likely to fuck up discs, but when I was discussing this with a friend prior to the Wii launch, he brought up a really good point: have you ever actually heard of these things messing up discs? Honestly, I've not, nor have most of the people I know. After using the one in my Wii for about a year, I'm pretty happy with it; it's easy to use and my discs have been consistently scratch-free.

AtmaWeapon
09-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I just bought a set of rechargeable AAs for my Wii controllers it's not really that big of a deal.

In 10 years if you want to relive your 20s by playing PS3 games you won't be able to without keeping the controller plugged in all of the time, but devices that depend on AAs will still be going strong.

The way we'll all get screwed is the fact that the digital buttons have a much longer lifetime than analog joysticks.

MottZilla
09-16-2007, 06:51 PM
You can still replace the battery, it's just a bitch. You must take apart the controller and put it back together properly. Meaning very few people will bother.

I'm not sure what to think about Heavenly Sword. I wasn't super impressed nor did I find whatever chick it is that interesting. I've heard both extremes, that it's superb, and that it sucks. I think I know what to expect but it's a long way off for me getting a PS3.

DarkDragoonX
09-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure what to think about Heavenly Sword. I wasn't super impressed nor did I find whatever chick it is that interesting. I've heard both extremes, that it's superb, and that it sucks. I think I know what to expect but it's a long way off for me getting a PS3.

Heavenly Sword is a stellar example of a game that's fairly good, but judged harshly based on hyped-up expectations. It's main problems are it's length, and some repetitiveness with regards to puzzle solving. The actual combat is pretty good, but then again, I wouldn't put it above Ninja Gaiden or DMC. Fans of the genre will likely enjoy it, but it's not a spectacular, earth-shattering game of awesomeness like it was hyped-up to be, and so a lot of people are severely disappointed.

Brasel
09-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I didn't know jack about it until the day I got it. I heard it was pretty good, and I wanted a new PS3 game. Going into the game with no real expectations made it good I guess. Thats why I normally try to skip previews and reviews of games and just go on word of mouth.

vegeta1215
09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I've only seen clips of the game, but Penny Arcade does it again: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/12 :D

Brasel
09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I saw that one before I got it, and its pretty much true, but I didn't really mind it. The game is much more action oriented than puzzle oriented.

vegeta1215
09-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Watching the little that I have, I was really impressed with the character faces and animation in Heavenly Sword. Maybe it is possible to make life like faces without having them be creepy (see http://www.slate.com/id/2102086 to see what I mean)

The faces are the only thing visually that I had to turn my nose up at in MP3. The studio has the talent to do anything - I guess they figured faces just weren't important enough?

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Sony just proved something to everyone. The magical number is 400$.

Not to start another console fanboy flamewar here, but what exactly is your proof that Sony has proved anything? As far as the most recent sales numbers are concerned, PS3 is still being far outsold by pretty much every video game device out there.

That's why I don't like them, cause they have a very poor reputation.
The reason car CD drives scratch CD's is because in a car, you're moving. Subtle movements of the vehicle affect the disc in the drive. Bumps in the road, engine vibrations, all sort of stuff. It's no wonder that a disc ends up getting scratched to heck. Now, if you attached your Wii to the dashboard of a sedan and played for a few weeks, you'd probably see the same wear and tear. But in a home environment, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Banon
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I got a PS3 about a month ago. I played motorstorm, and thought, "Wow, these graphics are really good." My next thought was, "Wow this game is really bad."

MottZilla
09-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Not to start another console fanboy flamewar here, but what exactly is your proof that Sony has proved anything? As far as the most recent sales numbers are concerned, PS3 is still being far outsold by pretty much every video game device out there.

I'm guessing you didn't realize which side I was supporting or something and had to pick at that. ;p

My point is that Sony re-demostrated the point that Video Game consoles have more or less a magic/top end number for cost. Not a single system that sold for 600$ ever did very well. If you just take into account the past and present situation it seems like about 400$ is the top end most will pay for a new console. Atleast it seems that way to me. The Xbox 360 sold quite well at 400$ for quite along time. However the PS3 is moving so much slower. I never offered "proof" of anything. All I was saying is that Sony would be doing alot better if the price of the console came down.

And there are rumors that are gaining credibility that a new low end model (40GB, similar to the original 20GB lacking wifi and memory card ports) is going to be coming out, possibly for 400$. If they do and they drop the 80GB to 500$ for the holiday season they should do pretty well I'd think. I'd certainly be interested in a PS3 for 400$ where as anything more in my opinion is just too fucking much for anything short of a brand new PC system.

Brasel
09-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I got a PS3 about a month ago. I played motorstorm, and thought, "Wow, these graphics are really good." My next thought was, "Wow this game is really bad."

My thoughts exactly. I had the same thought process, and had to trade it in at GameStop. I only got $11, but I'm okay with that.
Kinda peeved that trading in my PS2 will only net me $35 when the DS Phatty or whatever you guys are calling it brought me $40.