PDA

View Full Version : Debate of the Week.

Archibaldo
09-15-2007, 09:57 PM
After reading Bel's thread about the Woman With No Authority and reading the debate between Atma and Bel. I decided to start a Debate of the Week. It's currently going to be held in the Think Tank forum. I made a post in there with more details.

So go, pick sides and begin to prove why you're right.

phattonez
09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I like it, but it's going to be tough to keep getting new topics, eventually we'll run out.

Archibaldo
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, but I'm hoping it will jump start activity. Plus there will always be current events.

biggiy05
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I like it, but it's going to be tough to keep getting new topics, eventually we'll run out.

There are endless things to debate about. I've got a handful to use if Archibaldo runs out of ideas.

Archibaldo
09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Another idea that struck me is if the DotW takes off, I'd like to try Devil's Advocate. That might be fun to do. But I'll see how this takes off first.

phattonez
09-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm talking about the long run. It'll be good for a few months, maybe even a year, but I don't see it going much farther after that, unless we have to start debating news topics and I could see all of those devolving to debates about media bias.

Archibaldo
09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But for now theres nothing to lose by having there and ready.

biggiy05
09-16-2007, 01:58 AM
I'm talking about the long run. It'll be good for a few months, maybe even a year, but I don't see it going much farther after that, unless we have to start debating news topics and I could see all of those devolving to debates about media bias.

You're thinking waaaaay to far ahead. It's an internet forum, not a space shuttle launch.

Pineconn
09-16-2007, 11:49 AM
This is a very good idea, Archibaldo. This will definitely bring activity to the forums, for a much longer period than the Superlatives. I advocate it, hopefully everyone does too.

Darth Marsden
09-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I hate this. My stickied threads aren't at the top of the page now. :(

It's a nice idea and I'll be interested to see how people respond to it. Can't say that I will, I have trouble expressing opinions in a manner that adequately reflects how I feel, but I'll certainly be interested in others views.

phattonez
09-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Well then it would be a good place for you to learn to debate. Even if your ideas get shot down, who cares. At least you tried and you'll learn to get better at defending your ideas.

Pineconn
09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
In Government class a few days ago we came up with some world issues and some general controversial issues:

Immigration
Health care
War in Iraq
Oil/gas prices
Welfare
Energy conservation
Stem cell research
Legalization of marijuana
Social security
I.D. theft
The state of the economy
Taxes
Trade
Unemployment
Gay rights
Abortion
Capital punishment
Alcoholism
Gun control/right to bear arms

If any sound like fun issues to debate, feel free to use them in a DotW.

Glenn the Great
09-17-2007, 10:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that the human race will never come to a point where it no longer has anything to debate.

phattonez
09-18-2007, 12:02 AM
We will never stop debating, but there are only so many topics.

Glenn the Great
09-18-2007, 12:15 AM

I can understand how you might feel that way when you live in a world consisting of just black and white wherein everything ultimately boils down to one of the two.

biggiy05
09-18-2007, 12:46 AM

How do you figure we will run out of topics to debate/discuss? I still stand by what I said earlier. You are thinking too far ahead. It's an internet forum not a U.N. meeting.

Pineconn
09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Heck, another debate topic could be whether or not there are "enough" topics to debate. :rolleyes:

I don't think we will run out. Pick something on the news -- bam, there's a potential debate.

The_Amaster
09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah, you can debate about just about anything.

I'll probably naturally end up in a Devil's Advocatey role. My stance of seing everything as having shades of gray puts me at adversity with a lot of people.

And for a topic, I'd like to suggest the influence, merits and drawbacks of Television on out society.

phattonez
09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I can understand how you might feel that way when you live in a world consisting of just black and white wherein everything ultimately boils down to one of the two.

When have I ever said that? Glenn, you make way too many assumptions about me.

biggiy05
11-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Now that the DOTW has started does anyone have any objections to de-sticking this thread? It's a dead thread.

Prrkitty
11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Nope.. go ahead :)