Nicholas Steel
09-15-2007, 03:49 AM
there just good conman.

MrCow
09-15-2007, 03:51 AM
woops i meant to make it public:(

Gleeok
09-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Hmm, hold on a second. I never vote in polls without first speaking with my psychic freind.
..it's busy, i'll have to vote later.

phattonez
09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Wow, I think this is pretty much unanimous. Something on AGN that EVERYONE agrees about?

Pineconn
09-15-2007, 04:32 PM
10 to 0 to 0 to 1. Who is that 1? :D

EDIT: Okay, now it is 10:2:0:1. :sweat:

AtmaWeapon
09-15-2007, 04:46 PM
There's interesting coincidences and some interesting properties of the brain that make the concept of telepathy, mind-reading, and a few other things something that seems implausible but not impossible.

Whether or not prophecy exists is something of which I don't have a clear opinion. Is the future rigidly defined and beyond our control, or can we shape it? This is a question that I believe can't be answered.

Beldaran
09-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Unless there is a psychic who demonstrate his/her powers using scientific methods (ie repeatable, observable, provable) then there is no credence to these stories of magic.

All stories of magic and secret powers, from crystal balls to Jesus, have a non-zero probability of being real that is so close to zero, that it can basically be considered zero.

In other words, if I just made some arbitrary claim like, "There is a planet somewhere in the universe made completely out of chocolate.", it can't be disproved by science, but there is no reason whatsoever to believe in it. This applies to any non-disprovable claim for which there is no evidence, whether it's psychics or gods, or anything else that was created by humans to try and explain the natural world while avoiding the rigors of science.

Trevelyan_06
09-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I can't remember which comic I was watching that said this line, " If Ms. Cleo was so really a psychic wouldn't she call your ass instead of the other way around? You hear the phone ring, pick it up and she'd say, 'Your chicken is burning.' Damn, thanks Ms. Cleo."

Prrkitty
09-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I believe there are possibilities that some might be true psychics...

mrz84
09-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Wheither you believe in psychic abilities or not it your choice, but I do believe in it. I just don't believe all of them. :kitty:

AtmaWeapon
09-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Unless there is a psychic who demonstrate his/her powers using scientific methods (ie repeatable, observable, provable) then there is no credence to these stories of magic.

All stories of magic and secret powers, from crystal balls to Jesus, have a non-zero probability of being real that is so close to zero, that it can basically be considered zero.

In other words, if I just made some arbitrary claim like, "There is a planet somewhere in the universe made completely out of chocolate.", it can't be disproved by science, but there is no reason whatsoever to believe in it. This applies to any non-disprovable claim for which there is no evidence, whether it's psychics or gods, or anything else that was created by humans to try and explain the natural world while avoiding the rigors of science.Why can't you frame your points like this when debating with me? This is rock-solid and invulnerable to attack, addresses the fact that there's no definitive way to disprove the existence of god(s), and still contains enough strong language to cast contempt upon the religious.

*edit* Also I think psychics have had several thousand years to verify their powers but it seems no one has managed it yet. They blame it on the mysteries of their art but it's really weird how whatever fuels psychic activity gets a lot less cloudy when a credit card number has been exchanged.

rock_nog
09-15-2007, 09:49 PM
There can't possibly be any real psychics. If there were, we'd be able to spot them a mile away through the noise. I mean, there hasn't been any evidence of a psychic ever predicting anything that couldn't be explained by random chance, or something to that effect. We can only conclude that even if psychic powers are real, they can't possibly be useful at all, so what does it even matter?

Rainman
09-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I think the fact that we haven't found any organ or signal of psychic communication makes for a huge amount of burden of proof on the psychic's part. Plus they could always, oh I don't know, win a million dollars (http://randi.org/research/index.html) or a Nobel prize by totally revolutionizing the way we view the natural world.

If we really had this ability it would be fucking apparent and widespread in our species. You don't have things like this just spontaneously mutate.

AtmaWeapon
09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
If we really had this ability it would be fucking apparent and widespread in our species. You don't have things like this just spontaneously mutate.The X-Men would like to talk to you mister <:mad:>

The_Amaster
09-16-2007, 03:41 PM
I think that there might be some psychic phenomena out there, but theres a lot of bullcrap as well. And even some mundane stuff that seems psychic. For example, I'm really good at reading people. Really good. In fact, people who I know pretty well, I can finish sentances for all the time, because I can predict how they'd think and respond. Not really psychic, but seems like it some times.