PDA

View Full Version : Grub, chow, mystery meat -- combat food 2.0

Prrkitty
09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/13/combat.food/index.html

Ok Tony... I can't wait to see your comments to this article :)

Trevelyan_06
09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Tony doesn't eat food. He runs on a mixture of Monster Energy drink, tic tacs, and mint flavored tooth paste.

Brasel
09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
I can't stand the "main dish" in most MRE's. I just open them up for the snacks and desserts just to keep myself from going hungry until we get some field chow, which isn't much better, honestly. I don't have much faith in the new ones, but it will be interesting to see how they taste.

Cheese omlettes really are the worst ones... I haven't met anyone who likes them.

Modus Ponens
09-14-2007, 12:21 AM
My favorite thing about the MRE is the rock or something (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15558317@N00/53461796/in/photostream/).

What's your favorite MRE, Tony?

cyberkitten
09-14-2007, 12:58 AM
yes, "the rock or something" is classic. and they actually had to add the "or something" because some of the soldiers in the field in sandy areas didn't have rocks to prop their MRE heaters on, so they were eating them cold and complaining (you can't make that shit up...omg, i almost died when we got a memo about the change).

the cheese omelettes are indeed awful. the country captain chicken is equally horrible, but thankfully i don't think that's an option anymore.

generally the ones that taste like chef boyardee are ok (cheese tortellini, spaghetti), the pot roast is the bomb (but the mashed potatoes are AWFUL...nothing will save them...not cheese, not hot sauce. my dog won't eat them). fruits are usually edible...maybe a lil mushy, but edible. the "snack bread"....*shudder*...no thanks. the vegetable crackers with the jalepeno cheese spread on them is good tho. however, a couple times i've gotten vegetable crackers and grape jelly. wtf? gross!

but i love the ones that have the life cereal in them. i can't remember what they're called...cinnamon snack biscuits or something. i was so happy when i opened up a pouch and it was life cereal. yummy!

i wanna try the new combat ones tho. they sound...interesting. not necessarily edible, but interesting.

biggiy05
09-14-2007, 02:21 AM
i wanna try the new combat ones tho. they sound...interesting. not necessarily edible, but interesting.

You're a freak you know that right? Not the good kind of freak that scares the shit out of little kids but the bad kind.

I've tried an MRE once and wanted to gag.

Brasel
09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
yes, "the rock or something" is classic. and they actually had to add the "or something" because some of the soldiers in the field in sandy areas didn't have rocks to prop their MRE heaters on, so they were eating them cold and complaining (you can't make that shit up...omg, i almost died when we got a memo about the change).

the cheese omelettes are indeed awful. the country captain chicken is equally horrible, but thankfully i don't think that's an option anymore.

generally the ones that taste like chef boyardee are ok (cheese tortellini, spaghetti), the pot roast is the bomb (but the mashed potatoes are AWFUL...nothing will save them...not cheese, not hot sauce. my dog won't eat them). fruits are usually edible...maybe a lil mushy, but edible. the "snack bread"....*shudder*...no thanks. the vegetable crackers with the jalepeno cheese spread on them is good tho. however, a couple times i've gotten vegetable crackers and grape jelly. wtf? gross!

but i love the ones that have the life cereal in them. i can't remember what they're called...cinnamon snack biscuits or something. i was so happy when i opened up a pouch and it was life cereal. yummy!

I was eating oatmeal when I read country captain chicken and almost gagged...The wheat snack bread isn't so bad, but it IS kind of bland. I like it with peanut butter. I can't stand the cheese spread at all, I've thrown up on it a little before. And I've never come across the life cereal.

My favorite one is probably spaghetti. Its about the only one I'll eat, but it doesn't usually come with good snacks, which sucks. Usually something like the cookie with the chocolate disk under it, which isn't all that great. There is one cobbler with some weird berry flavor that is just amazingly awesome. I'd eat it even if I'm at home if I had it.

Also, the MRE heaters make some really awesome bombs. Take the heater out of the plastic bag and put it in a plastic soda bottle. Add some tobascco sauce for flavor, fill it with water, screw the cap on quickly and throw it for some eye watering fun for the person you threw it at. Non lethal and great fun for kids.

Aegix Drakan
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
after hearing all these horror stories, I'd have to say I'd honestly starve to death If I had to subsist on those. I'm a VERY picky eater.

Also, the MRE heaters make some really awesome bombs. Take the heater out of the plastic bag and put it in a plastic soda bottle. Add some tobascco sauce for flavor, fill it with water, screw the cap on quickly and throw it for some eye watering fun for the person you threw it at. Non lethal and great fun for kids.

Oooh. Food that doubles as a bomb. What'll they think of next?

Brasel
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
after hearing all these horror stories, I'd have to say I'd honestly starve to death If I had to subsist on those. I'm a VERY picky eater.

Oooh. Food that doubles as a bomb. What'll they think of next?

Even though the food sucks, you get hungry enough to eventually force some down. Its gross, but if you eat all of it, it keeps you full for quite awhile.

Glenn the Great
09-14-2007, 03:09 PM
After reading about these MREs, I'm thinking that if I were in the military, I'd prefer to just forage for insects and worms.

cyberkitten
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM
oh yes....MRE bombs :) boredom is a potentially dangerous thing :evil:

oh, and it keeps you full for awhile...cuz you can't take a shit for like 2 days after you eat one. MRE = meals requiring enemas. or, if you eat all the calories and don't exercise, you get to race to the head for a rather frightening MRE dump. wonder why that's an acceptable side effect?

Trevelyan_06
09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
oh yes....MRE bombs :) boredom is a potentially dangerous thing :evil:

oh, and it keeps you full for awhile...cuz you can't take a shit for like 2 days after you eat one. MRE = meals requiring enemas. or, if you eat all the calories and don't exercise, you get to race to the head for a rather frightening MRE dump. wonder why that's an acceptable side effect?

Well, it's always good to have a ready available source of biological warfare agents. What better way to demoralize your enemy than my flinging massive amounts of poo at him?