PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim&Lite Model is Released

MottZilla
09-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Recently the new model of the PSP has been made available, replacing the old model just as NDS Lite did to NDS Fat. Has anyone here paid any attension to it or gotten one?

Today I went to get one because it's security would be weaker than anything later down the line, so I'd be able to use homebrew, and just to get ready for Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles which is due out in October.

The new PSP model certainly is lighter, definitely a plus because the original was actually a bit too heavy for being comfortable. The slimmer build is noticable too and I think it also has a flatter shape where the old one was kinda rounded. I've also noticed its all smoothed plastic, not the black grainy kind. I like the smooth feel though others don't apparently. The screen seems brighter and more importantly doesn't has a dead pixel like my old unit!

And one of the most important things is the controls are MUCH better. The original unit's D-Pad sucked ass. The new D-pad is far better, actually usable for things that require diagonals, such as every fighting game ever, every shooter, etc. Also it's nice that it does infact load UMDs faster. And it does have comparable battery life (perhaps the same) even with the smaller battery rating. I think it's 1200ma opposed to the original's 1800ma.

Overall I think it's great and I can't wait to play with the TV-out cables when they go on sale. That's probably the only thing that annoys me about it all. The TV cables for it aren't at stores yet!

But still, Sony fixed pretty much everything that bothered me, the D-Pad and the lack of TV output mainly. So go on everyone, it's safe to buy a PSP now. You know you want it. ;) Who here wants one or plans to get one?

Modus Ponens
09-11-2007, 02:19 AM
I might get one, and I already even have an original model. Then I'd probably use my Phatty PSP (as I hear the kids are calling the old ones) for homebrew emulation (not that I support emulation! Emulation = the Devil!), and the new one for UMD software, even though homebrew is already available for the new ones. It's just a bit of a hassle.

Brasel
09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't really think I'll be replacing my older model, though the TV Out does interest me. I still have the old DS as well. I just don't think I play either of them enough to warrant purchasing the upgrade.

AlexMax
09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
TV out is pretty neat. Too bad the only games worth playing on it are rehashes and Lumines.

MottZilla
09-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Having 2 PSPs is something I would have done (and still would) if I had the money to spend on another. I agree it's a hassle to have to update hacks frequently for playing newer games, but then it's a hassle having 2 machines dividing homebrew and newer commercial games. Though at the moment the Phatty is still better for homebrew.

I have the Phat DS still too. I don't like the DS Lite as it looks less durable than the original. I do like their alteration to the controls by the looks of it, but that's not enough as the DS didn't have that bad of controls. If you don't play homebrew/warez, you would be better off upgrading selling the old model off as the new model offers plenty to legit users. Honestly the D-Pad is worth it by itself.

I have to agree with you AlexMax, the best PSP titles aren't anything new, but then again it's awfully hard to create something entirely new for a system early on and it's not bad to have remakes as long as they are that and not "rehashes" which seems to imply shitty quality. Both MegaMan remakes were top notch and must-plays for MegaMan fans. And the Castlevania DXC remake of DX RoB will probably kick ass too. While it certainly has alot of the same things you have seen on consoles it is neat that they are portable and in such high quality. I mean come on, you aren't going to get some of the titles PSP has on a Nintendo Handheld anytime soon.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that liked the PSP but was put off by certain weaknesses which have now been fixed. I can remember quite clearly being annoyed by the really poor controls and the lack of TV-output and couldn't be more happy that they've been addressed. Ofcourse it'd be nice if there were more games but I'm sure they will come. And while you wait there's plenty of re-release/safe bet games to play.

vegeta1215
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Wasn't there a problem with the Square button? Was that addressed with this upgrade? I only played a PSP briefly. My friend had one with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, but I just couldn't get used to the controls. I'm spoiled by the Gamecube controls I guess.

I still have an original DS - I'm not crazy about the Lite except for the brighter screen and bigger stylus. Like Mott said, the Lite feels less durable and to me it feels too small to use comfortably. I like the d-pad and buttons better on the original DS, the start/select button placement, and the microphone placement.

I only wish they would add WPA wireless functionality to the DS. I think they should at least be able to do WPA with TKIP, whose purpose was to run on older hardware. But noooo, they have to use WEP. I'm not using WEP on my network.

Mak-X
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm planning on getting one for Dracula X Chronicles. I got really excited about its announcement earlier this year, and getting the PSP version would be easier and cheaper than going for the PC Engine original. I'm still waiting for the core piano black model I guess.

I'll also be getting Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered up. I've been wanting to play these for a long time, but couldn't justify until Dracula X Chronicles came. Shame the Mega Man games sold poorly and they didn't go through with their plans to remake the other first 5 games in both series, or at least MM2 and MM3.

Still, that's only 3 games for the system I really care about except maybe for Konami's shooter collections. It was Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow that made it worth owning a DS after having it almost a year, so sometimes its the matter of one game.

MottZilla
09-11-2007, 08:10 PM
The square button is better. Still I don't feel it's perfect, but definitely better. The controls are better now really. And I definitely agree with you, WEP sucks.

I never heard that the PSP MegaMan games didn't sell well. That's very sad if it's true and they won't make the other games. ='( If it is I suppose we need to find some place to collectively bitch and whine till Capcom changes its mind.

For me, MegaMan MHX and PU were all I needed to grab a PSP. The emulators certainly added to it.

KJAZZ
09-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Excellent. As I'm not interested in owning two PSPs, I'm glad that I didn't buy the original. I'll be sure to pick up the redesign sometime after the TV-out cables are being sold in stores.

AtmaWeapon
09-12-2007, 09:38 PM
What is it with game companies and cables? I mean the primary selling point of this device (in my eyes) is the TV-out, and the cables aren't being sold yet.

Capital!

MottZilla
09-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Only for the first week at some retailers it seems. Target oddly enough was selling the TV output cables since day 1. I got mine from there today. TV out is very nice, though you definitely want a very large TV or a Zoom function on your TV. There is a black border when playing the game all the way around it that is rather nasty. But my LCD's Zoom function fits it almost perfectly to the screen. Just about 2 to 4 pixels on the left and right get cut off.

Playing with TV out and just in general I have to again say the redesign REALLY helps the playability of the PSP. The controls are much better. Now is a great time to get into the PSP. And Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles is just coming up. =)

Brasel
09-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I reserved my copy of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions yesterday. I'm really looking forward to this because of the really awesome looking anime cut scenes and the addition of Balthier as a story-line character. It'll really do me good seeing as I'll have a portable version of one of my favorite all time games for when I go to Iraq.

I'm also really looking forward to Castlevania, though it won't be out until after I leave, so I'll have to wait for someone to send it to me.

ZTC
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
This is something I might save for then.