PDA

View Full Version : If Real Life had cheat codes...

cbailey78
09-08-2007, 12:29 AM
What would they have? Just like doom has cheat codes like iddqd, idspispopd, etc.

Darth Marsden
09-08-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't know and I don't care, really. I'd just be happy if we could quicksave, 'cause then we'd be able to do anything and then take it back.

ShadowTiger
09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know and I don't care, really. I'd just be happy if we could quicksave, 'cause then we'd be able to do anything and then take it back.

Yeah. :) Better yet, save states. Just go from one to another for whatever you,d like to know or do, assuming your current knowledge carried over with you.

I'd like to Hex edit reality. Someone tell me the address for Bush's IQ level...

biggiy05
09-08-2007, 09:56 AM
The world would be destroyed.

The_Amaster
09-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Seriously, though, a Save function would rule. There are a lot of thing's I haven't done that I would if I knew that when it turned sour I could go to my backup.

Brasel
09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd want a new game + feature. After I died, I'd go back and do it all over again with all the knowledge that I had when I died.

AtmaWeapon
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Mortality and error are what make humans human. If we were able to redo things in any way, shape, or form, we'd become so possessed with leading the "perfect" life that I believe we'd just inflict a new misery upon ourselves.

With the ability to augment reality, happiness would be impossible because no matter what you obtain you can always desire more.

With a "save state" ability, you would spend months going over the same moments over and over again. "Gee, maybe if I just try a different pickup line the girl will go out with me" while she is simultaneously "Ugh, maybe if I'm more rude this time he'll go away". When you do manage to succeed at accomplishing some task, there will be no feeling of pride because everyone will assume you simply repeated the task until successful, just like everyone else does.

With a "New Game +" ability, you would find yourself constantly committing suicide so that you could redo a rough part that you think you didn't handle well.

Pretty much any kind of immortality would ruin your ability to enjoy life. It's probably better to wish for things like flight or be able to climb walls like Spider-Man.

The only codes of any use would be the ones like that Game Genie code that made Mega Man moonwalk on MM2. How'd you like to moonwalk everywhere you go? That would be the pinnacle of living. :toast:

Beldaran
09-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I completely disagree with Atmaweapon. I want all kinds of reality altering superpowers because I know I would enjoy improving my life constantly.

MottZilla
09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Well it wouldn't be any fun or work at all if "everyone could save state". If only you could simple go to any point in your life and do whatever you want and bail out whenver to some other instance it's be interesting though I think you'd risk going insane. :p

I think wall clipping and invisibility would be totally awesome. You could haunt people. =)

mrz84
09-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Let's see, I'd go with the ability to fly, teleportation, super speed, super strength, the ability to speak and understand all languages, have an army of super-powered catgirls at my command, and to round off my skills list, power poots. :kitty:

Dechipher
09-08-2007, 04:58 PM
X-ray vision in the sorority house.
That's all.

Glenn the Great
09-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Well it wouldn't be any fun or work at all if "everyone could save state".

Mottzilla had identified the problem.

Everyone shouldn't be able to save state. I should be the only one able to save state.

The reason that we want super powers is to give us an edge over the other people. When the other people get the powers too, we are equalized and discontented.

ShadowTiger
09-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Everyone shouldn't be able to save state. I should be the only one able to save state.lol why you and nobody else? :p

Actually, we wouldn't even notice if a state was saved. They can't really do all that much to manipulate things anyway besides knowing the future, so things would seem exactly as they were meant to be for those not state-skipping. For all we know, people can save-state save/load right now and we wouldn't know it nor notice it. That's sort of the entire point.

Glenn the Great
09-08-2007, 05:44 PM
State saving, especially with multiple slots, would very quickly create a complex net of alternate realities/timelines. One person's load state might quickly destroy the work of many others.

But yeah, it would be me and not everyone else because I have no regard for anyone else since I can't feel anything they feel, and I know for a fact that other humans just love to disagree with me and/or try to hinder what I want to do. They are only really good for what little I manage to cheat out of them without them realizing.

Dechipher
09-08-2007, 06:04 PM
If we're looking at it like that, then save stating would in effect take you out of the realm of the real world. It's like this.
I have a copy of Pokemon Emerald on my computer, as a ROM. Now while, I can use save states and jump around and edit it with cheat codes, I cannot battle or trade with those that have it for GBA, the actual copy, or even other ROM holders. Therefore, upon using a ROM instead of an actual cartridge, I gain the ability to do what I will with it, but lose the ability to interact with real people and the like. If everyone were to use these powers to maneuver around time, it would in effect put them in their own isolated universe and would have absolutely no effect on anyone else's because they are no longer playing with a legit copy of life. Does that make sense?

And Glenn your second paragraph is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've read.

DarkDragoonX
09-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Just give me the D&D Grease spell and tickets to the Olympics. Hilarity will ensue.

AtmaWeapon
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I completely disagree with Atmaweapon. I want all kinds of reality altering superpowers because I know I would enjoy improving my life constantly.Would you? No matter what you improved, there would always be some aspect that could be further improved. The more refined all of your abilities become, the harder it is to refine them further. Even if you had a power that allowed you to continuously refine yourself with no effort, would you be pleased that you succeeded?

For analogy, would you consider yourself more awesome for learning how to play Chopsticks on the piano or a perfect rendition of Free Bird? One represents a basic task that few people could fail to accomplish, the other represents an accomplishment that requires talent and effort. What if, via the use of your powers, playing Free Bird was as simple as Chopsticks, not only for you but for other people? Would your enjoyment of playing the song be the same if the difficulty were trivial and the accomplishment less unique?

It seems to me that the goal of most people's life is to compete in some way with other people and come out ahead. If we all had the power to excel, there would be no competition and I believe we would be miserable.

Glenn's post highlights the key problem here: if you are the only person with such powers, it is easy to impress people and reap the benefits of the "cheating". The loss of the feeling of pride that comes with effort is quite easily replaced with the loss of worry about money or lifestyle (though I think eventually it'd bite you). But if even one other person has such powers, it diminishes your talent in the eyes of those you seek to please because well THAT GUY can do it too and he did it better yesterday! In this case, you are a being with limitless potential locked in competition with another being of limitless potential. One cannot defeat the other. Now grant all peoples this power, and there is no such thing as accomplishment anymore. Since no effort can be rewarded, no one will expend effort. Humanity is lost.

Still, legitimate powers such as "always moonwalk" or "makes your face look all glitched" hold their cool because they improve everyone's life. :toast:

The_Amaster
09-08-2007, 06:46 PM
The ability to lower FPS would be cool. Make everything all Matrix-ey.

ShadowTiger
09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
State saving, especially with multiple slots, would very quickly create a complex net of alternate realities/timelines. One person's load state might quickly destroy the work of many others.I got a different perspective from that. I think that we'd all be operating on the same timeline. Everyone would have their own set states, but it wouldn't matter if someone went back to a previous savestate because they're changing the entire world back to that state, so all saved states everyone else had made would be lost. It might even be possible to be in an infinite loop, but we wouldn't know it, assuming that only the person who had issued the recall to an earlier state would realize he'd loaded that state, and nobody else would even know it despite being able to sense their OWN loadings, but not someone else's. So we wouldn't even know that we're in an infinite loop depending on the actions of others.

But yeah, it would be me and not everyone else because I have no regard for anyone else since I can't feel anything they feel, and I know for a fact that other humans just love to disagree with me and/or try to hinder what I want to do. They are only really good for what little I manage to cheat out of them without them realizing.I could make the same argument, minus some of the callous.

Just give me the D&D Grease spell and tickets to the Olympics. Hilarity will ensue.LOL, that was a wonderful reply. If it had come down to something from D&D, I would have liked to see what Horrid Wilting would have done to someone, but I like your reply better. :p

Darth Marsden
09-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Jesus Christ, this turned nerdish quick.

Give me god-mode, infinite mana or mp or whatever and the ability to swap gender at will. Good times.

bigjoe
09-08-2007, 07:48 PM
A way to gain experience faster? =( I usually don't learn things until it's almost too late.

Beldaran
09-08-2007, 07:56 PM
this turned nerdish quick.

How does a thread about cheat codes in real life "become" nerdish? That's like saying the pope has started acting catholic.

the ability to swap gender at will.

First of all, :odd:

Second, this power exists. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery)

Brasel
09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Newgame + wouldn't work if you committed suicide, that would result in a game over. You'd have to die of old age for it to work.

AtmaWeapon
09-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Also what was it with the "big head mode" that they started adding to every game? It was never really very funny. The first game I remember it in was Goldeneye and it was practical because headshots were worth more damage, but I guess some game designer thought it was a hilarious joke because practically every game after that had a big head mode. I mean I guess it was amusing to see your head clip through the ceiling but I can't understand why it was such a big deal.

Brasel
09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
First one I remember it being in was Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey, and I think that came out before GoldenEye. It was really kind of dumb, but it made it easier to see the faces of the players, which was a little neat I guess.

Aegix Drakan
09-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, the save state idea was already suggested. Man, I've wanted to do that for such a long time...

True story: I was at my dad's old office, handwriting some homework. At some point, I thought "Oh shit! I haven't saved my work in like, an hour!" (I'm an obsessive compulsive saver BTW) So I quickly looked down, and zipped my hands over to (Ctrl S) and suddenly realized the was no keyboard. A second later I slapped my head as I had just realised how stupid I just was. Good times.

Hmmm...Infinite money would be handy... screw the lottery! I have endless funds!

But in all seriousness, I'd take hyper speed, and super high stamina. Screw cars and trucks! I can run at sonic speed!

That and maybe time slowdown, or low gravity.

Immortality just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. When the world ends, and you're the only one left alive, it'd get pretty damn boring. Not to mention you'd have to watch everyont you care about slowly grow old and die, while you keep onliving forever. :( Seems downright depressing if you ask me.

MottZilla
09-08-2007, 10:13 PM
First of all, :odd:

Second, this power exists. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery)

I think he meant litterally at will, like in an instant. Shapeshifter like abilities would be cool.

Aegix Drakan
09-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Shapeshifter like abilities would be cool.

oh yeah. Definetely.

Hmm... I'd love to be a human kirby.

*swallows hot sausage, gets flame power*

Nice!

AtmaWeapon
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I would like to be able to break bricks with my fist like Mario. I could die a happy man. :toast:

Darth Marsden
09-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Aegix Drakan - God-mode ca be turned off, y'know. If you ever get tired of life or whatever.

MottZilla - exactly. Ever wanted to have multiple orgasms? Women can! I'm not saying it'd be permanent, but come on, surely every guy's wondered what it'd be like. Shapeshifter abilities would be even cooler, 'cause then I'd be like that blue X-Men character who could become anybody and that'd be awesome.

Beldaran - it became nerdish when people started talking about save states and hex editing. This was a nice, simple topic about 'yeah god mode in real life would be cool hur hur hur' and you guys have to start talking about the implications of using multiple save games. Yeesh.

Beldaran
09-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Darth, look at your avatar. Now, consider that you are surprised that a topic in this forum became nerdy. And consider that it is you, with that avatar, accusing us of being nerdy. :)

DarkDragon
09-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Save state would work fine under the many-worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. Each person could then be in his own instance of the universe where only he could restore state.

Beldaran
09-09-2007, 04:42 AM
If only I had cheat codes, it would rule. However, if everyone had cheat codes the universe would be destroyed almost instantly because some idiot-fuck-blowjob-face* would do something dumb. People hardly have any power as it is, and look how bad they are able to screw up the world. Imagine if everyone had god mode. [shudder]

*idiot-fuck-blowjob-face is my new insult which I just made up this instant and which is patented and copyrighted.

The_Amaster
09-09-2007, 09:45 AM
"Ha, ha, hey, duuude, check out this code:
says for-mat, hmmm, wonder what that does. I'm gonna find out."

*click*

Darth Marsden
09-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Jesus Christ, this turned nerdish quick.

Darth, look at your avatar. Now, consider that you are surprised that a topic in this forum became nerdy. And consider that it is you, with that avatar, accusing us of being nerdy.

Save state would work fine under the many-worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. Each person could then be in his own instance of the universe where only he could restore state.
Also: check my new avatar. Need I say more?

New combo of cheats. God mode, shape-shifting, infinite mp and invisibility. With those four, you could do anything. End of.

MottZilla
09-09-2007, 01:41 PM
All this god mod reminds me of playing Jedi Knight online with people cheating with god mode on, so I'd just use the delete player hack on them. So much for god mode bitch! :O

Darth Marsden
09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
What's the point of playing against multiple people who all use god mode? No-one would die, right?

:odd:

AtmaWeapon
09-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I find it interesting that people grasp the difficulties of enjoying a game while playing against god-moders but cannot grasp why real life would be just as frustrating in the same situation. :toast:

Beldaran
09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Because, Atma... the objective of life is not to "beat people", it's to have fun. I could have so much more fun if I was immortal and could fly, even if everyone else could to.

The_Amaster
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, but then even if you and 99.9 percent of the population believed in just having fun, there would be that .1 percent who would use their god powers to try to control you guys. You would resist, a war would ensue, and with your massive god-like powers you would devastate Dominar...errr, I mean Earth, resulting in temporal rifts in the fabric of reality.

(And then you would be forced to give up some of your god like power in order to repair the rifts, but I digress. A quick aside, if anyone gets what I'm referencing, I'll be impressed/happy)

Stungun
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
If real life had RPG physics in it, I would be happy, but that, like many other things, isn't a cheat code. That said...

Moonjump for the win. Combine that with a toggleable walk-through-anything code - and have fun. Infinite money would be nice, although I'd definitely want to have a code that lets me maximize my endurance... if it were possible. I mean, it's too easy to die in life. I'd rather at LEAST have a chance to survive fatal blows. Like the equivilant of an RPG's '999 Max HP' code or something.

Infinite oxygen or breathe anywhere (and 'survive in high or low pressure environments' to go along with it) is always a plus. Ever wanted to explore the bottom of the ocean?

Anyway, as far as a new game plus, I would imagine that would have a caveat: If you get shot, run over, or otherwise killed in a way that is not 'old age' - that would probably fail you. :(

bigjoe
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
the objective of life is not to "beat people", it's to have fun.

I wish I could get that through my thick skull. I keep thinking I have, but then someone puts their dukes up and I have to defend myself.

AtmaWeapon
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
If real life had RPG physics in it, I would be happy, but that, like many other things, isn't a cheat code. That said...But then if I stole your keys and threw them behind a bush you'd be completely unable to retrieve them unless some path with absolutely no obstructions led to the other side of the bush!

I would keep a hedge in front of my house shaped like a box, with a hole in the middle, and keep precious gems inside of it because no one could get them :)

biggiy05
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
But then if I stole your keys and threw them behind a bush you'd be completely unable to retrieve them unless some path with absolutely no obstructions led to the other side of the bush!

I would keep a hedge in front of my house shaped like a box, with a hole in the middle, and keep precious gems inside of it because no one could get them :)

I'll just bring some hedge trimmers and voila I have your gems.

Aegix Drakan
09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
the big problem with having RPG styled life is that you'd be forced to obey the RPG laws.

...now where did I put that link?

...Oh, here it is. (http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html)

Not to mention, you'd get involved in random monster battles just walking down to the bus stop.

annoying yes, but quite fun, maybe

rock_nog
09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
idkfa
Sweet Jesus, what would happen if you used that cheat in real life? Would it give you a copy of every kind of weapon in existence? I mean, that'd be sweet and all, but that'd be a helluva lot of guns.

By the way, this "save state" business is kinda depressing. I mean, in order for it to work, each one of us would have to exist in our own universe where we were the only ones with that power. Otherwise, if two people tried to use save states in the same universe, it could create a paradox and crash reality. It's be kind of sad to know that you'd never get to find out how everyone else made out with their save state powers.

Brasel
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Now that I think about it, I could use god mode and infinite ammo in a couple of weeks.

Pineconn
09-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd love save state powers. I always get those instances when I do something very horrible before it actually impacts someone, but I can never stop it.

Also, I'd vote for being able to stop time. You could do literally anything, and it renders most other powers useless. (Wait, I'm beginning to drift away from cheat codes and into superpowers. But it would be awesome nonetheless. :p)

AtmaWeapon
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll just bring some hedge trimmers and voila I have your gems.Since the average sword-carrying adventurer can make no headway against impenetrable obstacles such as small bushes and potholes I'm fairly certain my treasures would be safe from your hedge trimmers.

If the bushes were not meant to be cut, they will not be cut.

Daarkseid
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I'd want a new game + feature. After I died, I'd go back and do it all over again with all the knowledge that I had when I died.

That's.. thats actually something I frequently fantasize having.

If I were so inclined to believe in a certain kind of afterlife BS, it would be that.

Aegix Drakan
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Since the average sword-carrying adventurer can make no headway against impenetrable obstacles such as small bushes and potholes I'm fairly certain my treasures would be safe from your hedge trimmers.

If the bushes were not meant to be cut, they will not be cut.

*pops into a story book, plays some random minigame involving Shiva and Ifrit, then comes out to find the bushes gone*

hahaha.

Beldaran
09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Except New Game + would be useless if you had a life in which you kept dying from leukemia at age 7.