PDA

View Full Version : 'FEG' (Flying Electric Generator) help beat global warming?

Prrkitty
09-05-2007, 04:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/08/31/sky.turbines/index.html

Quote: The guiding principle of the FEG is that wind speed and constancy are far greater at high altitude than they are on the ground, especially in the two major jet streams - the Sub-Tropical Jet and the Polar Front Jet - that exist in each hemisphere (at around 30 degrees and 60 degrees latitude respectively).

A turbine at great height, so the theory goes, can generate far more power than a similar turbine at or near ground level. It has been estimated that capturing just one percent of the available energy of these high altitude winds would meet the electricity needs of the entire planet.

"The winds a few miles above the mid latitudes of the Northern and Southern Hemispheres are far stronger and more persistent than the winds just above us," Shepard told CNN.

"This results in potentially being able to generate electricity for over eighty percent of the time, as opposed to thirty percent of the time at ground-based wind turbine sites.

"The largest ground-based wind turbines currently produce about five megawatts each. We expect typical FEGs to produce about 20 megawatts each."

----

SWEET! Maybe this could be the answer to help us on many levels...

Beldaran
09-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Oil companies buy patents and shut down research in 3...2...1...

Cloral
09-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I read about this in Scientific American a year or so ago. They had an article with 10 new technologies we should be able to use before too much longer to move off of oil, and this was in it along with things like tidal generators and more efficient cars.

Which reminds me. That was the issue that had the story of Zubbles, the colored bubbles. They're still not available anywhere as far as I know. What happened to them?

cyberkitten
09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
zubbles was sold to a company called spinmaster (spinmaster.com) who apparently never went anywhere with the product. bummer, cuz it looked cool. they also had the smokey bubbles...bubbles that were filled with a puff of smoke which would waft out when you popped the bubble. and i think they were ultimately the downfall of magic sand (anybody else remember magic sand?)

phattonez
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I've heard that tidal energy is extremely inefficient, but this one sounds like a good idea.

I hate to have the stance that Bel has, but it's happened before, so I can't help but be realistic.