PDA

View Full Version : Air Force probes mistaken transport of nuclear warheads

Prrkitty
09-05-2007, 03:49 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/05/loose.nukes/index.html

... mistaken transport of NUCLEAR warheads??!? How in THE HELL can someone transport them and NOT know that the warheads are "hot"?

Transporting them means loading them on one side and offloading on the other. And NO ONE at the initial loading NEVER noticed?

OH MY!

ZTC
09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
It might be likely that some kind of operation to supply terrorists was stopped; that, or the people handling that stuff are fucking stupid.

Trevelyan_06
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Like the article said, you couldn't denote the things nuclear because of the various codes needed to activate the nuclear warheads. They also couldn't be denoted if dropped like they were as nuclear weapons don't work like that.

However, I'm with Prr on the whole "WTF MATE" thing. How can you NOT notice that you are loading nuclear tipped missiles instead of the inert missile bodies you were suppose to be loading?
Air force guy 1: Hey are these the right missiles? They look kinda of funny.
Air force guy 2: Yeah, I'm sure this is right. Besides, it's almost lunch time.
Air force guy 1: Okay.

It's also fun because that right there violated many treaties concerning the movement and deployment of nuclear missiles and some countries could take it as an act of war if they really wanted to.

Lilith
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
someone thought they were lunchboxes

MottZilla
09-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Since when are you guys expert on Nuclear Weapons? Why do you assume they would notice they were carrying the nuclear warheads? It's not like there is a big banner attached saying OMFG NUKES!!! Yes they did something they weren't supposed to, someone fucked up. But they DID find out about the fuckup. It's not like 4 months later they go, hey we are short X amount of nuclear warheads.

I don't really think this is alarming or dramatic. Perhaps it's a good wake up call to those in the military not to fuck around. But really, I don't see the big deal. There was no chance they would slip away into bad guy hands and even if they had it wouldn't be easily usable. This is just the news people trying to be all dramatic.

Aegix Drakan
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh my...

That's not very safe... how the heck did they make a mix up like that?

and maybe they SHOULD have big signs on "hot" missiles that read "OHNOESIT'SANUKE!!! Handle with caution".

Brasel
09-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Air force guy 1: Hey are these the right missiles? They look kinda of funny.
Air force guy 2: Yeah, I'm sure this is right. Besides, it's almost lunch time.
Air force guy 1: Okay.

Sad thing is, this is probably what really happened. Some careless NCO's probably put the loading of the plane on to some lower enlisted and they decided not to double check the missiles because it was too close to lunch or something similar. Plus, its the Air Force, they lack the attention to detail that the Army has. Friggen Air Force...not that it wouldn't have happened in the Army either.

Prrkitty
09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Honestly though... don't they have different "heads" for 'em... when "hot" or not? I coulda sworn that I read somewhere that the tips were different for when they're loaded or not.

AtmaWeapon
09-06-2007, 12:39 AM
That would seem kind of silly given that you might want to send several decoy planes out in the event that your target knows you are coming. My understanding is that live missiles are distinguished from inert missiles by the strict procedures that are supposed to be followed in their handling, and that it is not uncommon for pilots to have any idea whether they are carrying a live payload. Someone just lost their retirement funding because the men they were responsible for didn't follow these procedures. Honestly I feel no sympathy because discipline is something I respect above many other things, and had the chain of command communicated the importance of discipline to the rank and file then this could have been avoided.

Just think, every day people cut corners like this with dangerous objects.

Trevelyan_06
09-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Since when are you guys expert on Nuclear Weapons? Why do you assume they would notice they were carrying the nuclear warheads? It's not like there is a big banner attached saying OMFG NUKES!!! Yes they did something they weren't supposed to, someone fucked up. But they DID find out about the fuckup. It's not like 4 months later they go, hey we are short X amount of nuclear warheads.

I'm not saying that the pilots would know what they are carrying, being as their paperwork probably said they were inert. I'm not saying that the Nuclear warheads have any distinguishing characteristics either. Rather I'm just saying that it's surprising that it was not double checked as to whether the nuclear warheads were still on the missiles are not. That's what I meant when I asked how they couldn't know they were loading nukes. You would think that there was something that said these missiles were nuclear at one point and thus warranted extra precautions.

On the other hand, I understand that mistakes happen and I'm not saying that I'm perfect. However, you have to take into consideration that these were powerful nuclear weapons, and even though they were lacking the arming codes still dangerous things to lose track of.

Prrkitty
10-19-2007, 11:08 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/19/loose.nukes/index.html

Quote:
# NEW: Probe found a "lack of effective leadership and supervision," general says
# NEW: Four officers, including three colonels, are relieved of duty
# NEW: Air Force secretary convenes panel to review all security procedures
# August 29 flight carried six nuclear warheads from North Dakota to Louisiana

----

WOW! 3 colonels relieved of duty. That's a lot of command, years on the job and experience... going bye-bye. I bet this mistake won't be repeated again... at least anytime soon anyway.

AtmaWeapon
10-19-2007, 11:33 PM
Eh pretty much what I expected. Lack of discipline is unforgivable.

I hope those guys weren't counting on their pensions :)

Prrkitty
10-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Those colonels lost a LOT of pension bling. I kinda feel sorry for them.