PDA

View Full Version : The "General" Superlatives Topic.

ShadowTiger
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
According to a few people, I'll be organizing the AGN 2007 Superlatives. As of right now, I believe that most of the discussion is happening >>>Here (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99178),<<< just for the sake of keeping this forum nice and clean. I don't like starting new topics when they can all go in one.

So yes, please continue in that one if it's on track with what the third post is already discussing. If it's something that doesn't fit in there, please, by all means, post it here.

As the old saying goes, "Let's rock."

deathbyhokie
09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
So are we accompanying pictures for the sexiest superlative? some of us may have become far sexier since the last time we posted pictures.

Some of us also have a fixation with the use of the royal we. We think it sounds grand

ShadowTiger
09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I like to include everyone. By volunteering to host the Superlatives, I actually meant that I volunteer to do all the work. (Except for what I can't do, like create the forums. I actually feel guilty for asking people to do that.) You guys get to have all the fun and such.

Sure, post whatever pictures you want. There's no reason why there is a need to limit it to just one picture. The more people know what <SEXY> they're voting for, the better.

The_Amaster
09-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Have we copnsidered any of the huge list that got posted in "Sentiments..."?

There were some good new ideas and a bunch of old ones in there.

Archibaldo
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
So, can we get to deciding the awards and start nominating people?

Perhaps there should be an individual thread for each award specifically for nominations and then after the nominations close, close the threads and start the vote threads. Sound good?

Pineconn
09-05-2007, 05:10 PM
How exactly is this going to work? After we decide on the superlatives, how will this happen precisely? I think Common Man should be informed on the precise details before anything happens (which includes me :p).

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Well, here's the thing. There are several ways that we could go about doing this. While it's true that I really don't want to wait, (Or make everyone else wait...) I also don't want to just blindly rush in and run into a wall that nobody had thought of. :shrug: So I want at least two opinions on how you would like to see it done, and we can deliberate from there. Personally, I'm still inclined to do it the following way:

We can suggest categories for the superlatives. (Best avatar, Most likely to ____, etc.)
We can decide amongst ourselves which are good and which are bad.
When we have a solid set, I'll tell everyone to PM me with X amount of names to nominate. Obviously, these nominations will be kept in the utmost of secret.
When I have enough, (Not so much enough, as "The deadlines has passed." :p ) I'll just start making polls in the Superlatives forum just like Foxy did in 2004.
They should all be no-reply. It'd also be nice if it were invisible until the time of voting, and if voting in each poll doesn't bump it. Those aren't up to me though.

Thoughts?

biggiy05
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Works for me. I have mod abilities in this sub forum so if you need something changed or added that you can't do your self send me a pm and I'll get it sorted for you.

Masamune
09-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Why doesn't ST just get the mod abilities?

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Because now I get to bother staff. :blah: No matter what happens, Administrators and staff are being bothered. I hate doing it, but it's for AGN, and the staff ARE AGN, (And the members, etc... ... buh.) and I just poked myself in the eye.

Okay, anyway, so we may as well just import 2004's categories and debate on them? :shrug:

Studmuffin Award: Sexiest Male
What Did You Say?? Award: Least Understood
Jockstrap Award: Most Athletic
LUBU Award: Most Caring/Loving
Genius Award: Smartest Member
Bancake Award: Most Notorious Banned Member
Convict Award: Most Likely to End Up In Prison
Billionaire Award: Most Likely to Become Rich or Famous
ROTFLMFAO Award: Funniest Member
Secksay Lady Award: Sexiest Female
All Star Award: Most Popular
Welcome to our Forums Award: Best Newbie
Who Gave You The Authority Award: Biggest Rent-A-Mod
Yes Sir/Yes Ma'am Award: Most Respected
Thought-Provoking Award: Most Interesting Posts
Most Humble
Most Normal
Best Signature
Best Avatar
Best Programmer
Best Photoshopper

... ...

Begin. o.O'

Glenn the Great
09-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't like the idea of nominations, as everyone should be able to cast their actual vote for whom they desire.

Also, if you resort to polls, they should not show any results until after polling is finished. People shouldn't know who is winning before it is over, as that influences the voting in a bad way.

But I sort of feel like I'm wasting my time writing this, given ShadowTiger's history of blithefully ignoring my suggestions and continuing with his original modus operandi.

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Also, if you resort to polls, they should not show any results until after polling is finished. People shouldn't know who is winning before it is over, as that influences the voting in a bad way.I was hoping this would be the way it would work, that you can't click any sort of "view results" before you've voted. Technically, it's already a popularity context, but it shouldn't be a SKEWED popularity contest. :p

I don't like the idea of nominations, as everyone should be able to cast their actual vote for whom they desire.It seems that if you had ideas for one or more people that you'd like to vote for, they would be the people that you nominate in the first place. Thus, their place on the ballots are ensured. If you didn't nominate them, then you probably had someone better in mind, and it is they who need to be voted upon.

But I sort of feel like I'm wasting my time writing this, given ShadowTiger's history of blithefully ignoring my suggestions and continuing with his original modus operandi.No bloody idea what you mean, but as I've said before, they're not my Superlatives. I just volunteered to do all the work nobody else would have wanted to do, thanks.

biggiy05
09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
To make Glenn happy and keep him from crying can you just type out the names and put an X or III next to their name in a word document? Nobody will see who is in the lead and it will be a surprise to the end.

Problem solved.

I haven't seen any photochopping in a few years. Same for the programmer one.

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Ah, okay, so we now have a different method. This other choice we have is that once we finish the ideas for the categories, you can all just send me your PM's with one (Or two? - We'll talk about that too.) people listed as your votes for each category. Then I'll Put them all together in my PM Box and Wordpad, and just make a single topic in GD with the final results. No muss, no fuss. Just PM me once and wait for the end game. That's it. No choices. Just naming your best bets. You won't see a single poll.

It's either that, or the method I listed above with the five points. Thoughts?

The_Amaster
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I like the second method, where we all just PM you our votes for each catagory. It's ultra private, and efficient in board space.(Although that means that the whole new sub-forum was kinda unessecary.)It'll be some work for you though.

A quick aside, can we nominate ourselves for anything?

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 08:56 PM
What do you think, people? Considering that we're skipping the voting/poll stage entirely, it could be Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 all over again.

phattonez
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
There's no way to have a poll and hide the results from members?

Beldaran
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
This thread reminds me of one of those annoying committee meetings at my old job, where work-flow processes are discussed ad-nauseum and nothing gets done because no one's really in charge, or the guy who is in charge is not being decisive enough.

ShadowTiger: Just make up the format yourself, ram it down our throats, post the results, and have a coke. Make a special thread for complaining and just permanently ban anyone who posts in it. Booya.

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Heh, thanks for that. x X, You have no idea how badly I want to do just that. :p

Just pick the bloody method you want, and let's get started then. I don't want to waste this forum unless more people want me to than not.

phattonez
09-05-2007, 10:01 PM
^^Just pick the method that you like and go with it so we can get started on picking categories.

ShadowTiger
09-05-2007, 10:17 PM
There's nothing stopping anyone here from introducing and debating categories. :p THAT part is the same regardless of the voting method.

I'm leaning towards the second (More recent) method though, just so nobody has to be a baby about it, as we've heard. I'm amazed nobody cares which method they'd prefer. The first method is much, much more interactive. The second method is more like "Let's just vote and be done with it."

Of course, it's only been one day since this forum had even been created. (Two, really.) That's not a lot of time at all, considering that we're all doing this in the wide open spaces of GD's vicinity. I don't like it how people can feel that they're being rushed when we're not on a very set deadline. I'd like to do it quickly, yes, but not so quickly that people don't get their say.

phattonez
09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Here's a few more categories that I can think of:

Worst Temper
Most intellectually confusing posts
Most likely to post on AGN when he's 75
Most lifeless (the person who spends the most time at AGN)

biggiy05
09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Here's a few more categories that I can think of:

Worst Temper

I like those. Add them in.

Pineconn
09-05-2007, 11:13 PM
How were the superlatives done in the past? If I remember reading correctly, different methods were done different years. Which one worked the best, seasoned veterans?

moocow
09-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Make up an official document or whatever of every category. Anyone who wants to participate can fill it out and PM or E-Mail it to you. Then you can go through them. Set a time limit.

I stopped reading posts after Beld's, so if someone already suggested this, I apologize.

Gerudo
09-06-2007, 12:50 AM
here's a running tally, i guess...

Jockstrap Award: Most Athletic - i think this should be taken out. do we even have any active athletes here at AGN? we can't really go by pics cause that would be just like the sexy awards.
Most Humble
Most Normal
Best Signature
Best Avatar
Best Programmer - this one should be removed. the only programmers here all work on ZC. So really, the choices would be DN for ZC and Sean for ZCL.
Best Photoshopper - as was previously mentioned, we should take this out. we haven't had any member photoshop wars in ages

should be added in--

Worst Temper
Most intellectually confusing posts - doesn't this kinda go hand in hand with the 'least understood' award?

phattonez
09-06-2007, 02:06 AM
^^Least understood could also be just stupid posts, intellectually confusing is like what happens to me when DD is talking about some really advanced math.

Glenn the Great
09-06-2007, 05:51 AM
I've got some award ideas:

Morbo Award: Most morbid member
Sheep Award: Biggest brown-noser
River Award: Whiniest member

By the way, I'm glad to see that you guys are thus far successfully avoiding superlatives that can be objectively determined.

moocow
09-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Most Humble
Most Normal
Best Signature
Best Avatar
Worst Temper

So far, so good.

Maybe you should just make a sticky thread with the superlative categories?

ShadowTiger
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
This thread is already as stickied as I can make it.

The Superlatives work, though I'm loathe to introduce as many of the negative categories for the very reason that some people didn't want to do a Superlatives at all. I find it hard to believe that someone can be voted "whiniest member" and not whine about it. :blah:

May as well start soon; I think we have enough categories, unless people want to procrastinate more.

And for the love of god, would people please choose a voting method without pussyfooting around it or dodging it or phrasing your answer in the form of a suggestion?

Method 1:

We can suggest categories for the superlatives. (Best avatar, Most likely to ____, etc.)
We can decide amongst ourselves which are good and which are bad.
When we have a solid set, I'll tell everyone to PM me with X amount of names to nominate. Obviously, these nominations will be kept in the utmost of secret.
When I have enough, (Not so much enough, as "The deadlines has passed." ) I'll just start making polls in the Superlatives forum just like Foxy did in 2004.
They should all be no-reply. It'd also be nice if it were invisible until the time of voting, and if voting in each poll doesn't bump it. Those aren't up to me though.
Method 2:
This other choice we have is that once we finish the ideas for the categories, you can all just send me your PM's with one (Or two? - We'll talk about that too.) people listed as your votes for each category. Then I'll Put them all together in my PM Box and Wordpad, and just make a single topic in GD with the final results. No muss, no fuss. Just PM me once and wait for the end game. That's it. No choices. Just naming your best bets. You won't see a single poll.

Reply without picking a method, and I'll totally hate you forever. :rolleyes: *Chagrin*

Method 1 or Method 2.
Nothing else please.

phattonez
09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Method 1.

Archibaldo
09-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I like the first method, it adds a little fun to the voting. Well, maybe not so much fun but more to do to feel like you actually did something. The only crucial part of this though is that that the results are hidden until it's time to reveal the winners. Plus if we do method 2, then there will be a whole lot more work to do for ST. I figure it should just be like a normal election. Every one gets to nominate 1 person for each award, then the top 10 most nominated go into a poll and people vote from there.

ZTC
09-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I say 'Method 1'
What about categories for 'most unusual/interesting' avatar/sig?
/my 2 cents worth

Pineconn
09-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Method 1, but I think people should have to sign up in order to be included in the superlatives in place of nominations. (If not, I still say method 1 I guess...)

'I'm Not Reading That' Award: Longest posts
Simplicity Award: Shortest posts
Gerund Award: Best grammar
haha im teh 1337 Award: Worst grammar
Charity Award: Gives out the most reputation
'A Picture's Worth a Thousand Posts' Award: Posts the most pictures
Identity Crisis Award: Has had the most user names in the past
Weakest Link Award: Seems their posts/threads go unanswered the most (this may be difficult, or simply a bad superlative)
Faceless Award: Changes his/her avatar the most
Sniper Award: Verbally attacks other members the most (may be too similar to "Worst Temper")
Quarrelsome Award: Gets into the most flamed arguments (also may be similar to the above or to "Worst Temper")
Lincoln v. Douglas Award: Debates the most
Shigeru Miyamoto Award: Best Zelda Classic quest maker
Help Me Please! Award: Asks the most ZQuest/ZC questions

Some are okay, some aren't. If you keep any, feel free to pick a better title.

Beldaran
09-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I vote for method 3, which basically entails dedicating this entire forum to discussing me and how great I am.

DarkDragon
09-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I like method 1, and second moocow's selection of awards.

Brasel
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
I vote for method 3, which basically entails dedicating this entire forum to discussing me and how great I am.

Me too. Method 3 all the way.

Method 1 sounds the best to me.

Prrkitty
09-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree with DD... second mooie's topics and method #1.

Breaker
09-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I should be a major contender for the "LUBU Award".

Prrkitty
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll vote for ya Breaker...

Aegix Drakan
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I vote method #1. Sorry Beldaran. XD

Wish I could suggest some good awards, but all the ones I came up with kind of stink...

I should be a major contender for the "LUBU Award".

When subrosia freezes over, and I can lift a two ton truck with my bare hands while doing the macarena.

Gleeok
09-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Method #1

A also like Pineconn's suggestion for adding some ZC related superlatives, although I can't think of any good ones atm.<_<

Brasel
09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v122/220/91/503633667/n503633667_155948_4648.jpg

Tony for Studmuffin!

ShadowTiger
09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Heh, sure. Let's see what we have so far.

Most Humble
Most Normal
Best Signature
Best Avatar
Worst Temper

'I'm Not Reading That' Award: Longest posts
Simplicity Award: Shortest posts
Gerund Award: Best grammar
haha im teh 1337 Award: Worst grammar
Charity Award: Gives out the most reputation
'A Picture's Worth a Thousand Posts' Award: Posts the most pictures
Identity Crisis Award: Has had the most user names in the past
Weakest Link Award: Seems their posts/threads go unanswered the most (this may be difficult, or simply a bad superlative)
Faceless Award: Changes his/her avatar the most
Sniper Award: Verbally attacks other members the most (may be too similar to "Worst Temper")
Quarrelsome Award: Gets into the most flamed arguments (also may be similar to the above or to "Worst Temper")
Lincoln v. Douglas Award: Debates the most
Shigeru Miyamoto Award: Best Zelda Classic quest maker
Help Me Please! Award: Asks the most ZQuest/ZC questions

"LUBU Award" (Sure, why not. :p )

I would personally like to either exclude the following, as they would be the likeliest to cause havoc with some people, or would like to simply take them on myself automatically so nobody else has the honor (Dishonor?) of winning them.
Whiniest member
Brown-noser

It looks like Method #1 is going to win then. I'm very happy about this, moreso because we have actual progress now.

*Adds the ZC categories*

Continue debating on the categories for a little while. We can probably begin creating the threads on Saturday Night.

Masamune
09-07-2007, 10:08 AM
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v122/220/91/503633667/n503633667_155948_4648.jpg

Tony for Studmuffin!

Thanks, dude. I'm at school. -_-

Beldaran
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks, dude. I'm at school. -_-

Don't worry Masa... you can masturbate to it when you get home.

Brasel
09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
LOL. People here still go to school. HAHA. Sorry.

Masamune
09-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Masturbation sequence completed. Nap sequence initiating...

Matteo
09-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Most likely to wear a neck scarf in the summertime
Most likely to wear sweat pants outside regularly
Most likely to actually be George W. Bush
Biggest Drunk
Biggest Virgin/Most likely to stay that way
Slut award (male/female)
Best/Worst Username
Biggest Furby (spelling?)
Best Minority
Biggest WASP
Sexiest Male under 16
Sexiest Female over 45
Hairiest Member: Member with the most body hair
Most likely to be a Scientologist/Kabbalist
Most likely to be Married to John Travolta and wishing for an out.
Most likely to be Breaker's next victim
Most likely to be rich/poor
Best/Worst Spelling/Grammar

elise
09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Sexiest Female over 45[/I]
you don't know half how many zelda playsters are a member here that can join this one :D

AlexMax
09-08-2007, 10:44 PM
First Annual "AlexMax" Lifetime Achievement Award

Pineconn
09-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Okay, we have some good categories, and we agreed on Method 1. ST, I say go ahead and kick off this thing!

phattonez
09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
How are we doing nominations?

biggiy05
09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
How are we doing nominations?

I believe we are going to PM ST with nominations. X number nominations per member.

Beldaran
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
This is really disorganized. Please post an official thread listing the categories and the methodology so we can just get on with this. I guess the official category list is buried in this thread somewhere, but that's a bullshit way to do things. Make an obvious "this is how to participate" thread so we can figure out what to do.

DarkDragon
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't think ShadowTiger has posted any official list yet.

Pineconn
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Mostly everything is ready, and I wouldn't be surprised if we could be nominating by tomorrow or Tuesday. It'll happen soon (which is also the motto of the restoration of the QDB ;)).

Matteo
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
we need a solid list of members to nominate from. Being able to read the names would make it easier to vote/nominate...

ShadowTiger
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
The Status Update Thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1141011#post1141011). Read it, and post back here with your comments in general, or in there to eliminate or alter categories.