PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Continue Spots

LostInHyru1e
09-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Okay... I don't know what individual questions I should ask, so I'm just going to state what I want to happen and if somebody knows how I could make it happen, I'd be greatly appreciative.

I'm revamping Eternal Winter, so that my Overworld won't look so bland and grey; this, however, will put in a plot twist. Only two dungeons into the game, the player will be warped, through time, to a completely new overworld: it will be basically the same one as the one covered in snow, except more passageways will be open and it will be in completely different CSets.

What I want to happen is simple: If a player turns off their game before beating the first two dungeons, then they will turn on the game and be in the Eternal Winter Overworld: However, if they save and turn off their game AFTER being transported to the Summertime overworld, then they will STAY in the summertime overworld, until near the end of the game they are warped back to the wintertime overworld, where they will then continue from that wintertime overworld.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
LostInHyru1e

Russ
09-02-2007, 01:52 AM
Sure there's a way. Just mark the "continue here" checkbox in the dmap editor on both overworlds. This means Link will restart from the last dmap with the continue here flag checked. And in case you did not know about this, you should use this flag for dungeons, so when you turn the game back on you start in whatever dungeon you were in. And on a side note, that summer-winter overworld is a very good idea. Makes the quest not nearly so bland and grey. And on anither side note, you said you wanted to have custom bosses, but they were to complicated for you to make. I could make them for you. If you want.

LostInHyru1e
09-02-2007, 07:35 PM
...You would make custom bosses for my game!? I would LOVE it if you would do that! But wouldn't it be a lot of effort for you to expend for my game? You'd be given full credit, of course, if you're willing to do it. And I would be REALLY appreciative!

Also, would you like to be a Beta Tester for Eternal Winter?

Russ
09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I would love to beta test it and I would love to make custom bosses for it. One of the things I can't stand about ZC is the lack of custom bosses, so the more quests that jhave them, the better.

LostInHyru1e
09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I would absolutely LOVE to have some custom bosses in the game! I started a 2-D type screen(side view) Custom Boss, but got so frustrated I quit at it. :confused: How would you be able to put your Custom Bosses in my game? I could send you the file, and you could put them in and E-Mail it back.

Do you have any ideas in mind?

Oh, and if you're going to Beta Test, do you think I should start a thread about Eternal Winter where we could discuss bugs?

Russ
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
E-mail would probably be the best way. And you said you started a sideview boss. Does that mean your not using 2.10 anymore? Or does it mean you just made it 2D by making only the bottom of the screen walkable? And for ideas, I've started thinking about the first boss, the one in the graveyard. Just a simple, giant ghost. It attacks with fireballs, and by sending ghosts at you. It is normally impervious to attacks, so you have to destroy 4 tombostones in the room, to make it vulnerable, then attack it. After a few hits bubbles come in to that temporarilly dissable your sword just to make it more frustrating. At the end of the battle, the boss turns into a normal ghost, which releases a heart container when you kill it. And what is the object hidden in the dungeon? It's always a good idea to make it where you have to use the dungeon item to kill the boss. So, what do you think? And it would be a good idea to start a new thread for bug discussion.

LostInHyru1e
09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
That sounds like an AWESOME idea for a boss! Really! I'd be curious to see how it works. It would need some custom tiles, and I don't know how destroying the tomb stones could warp you, so I'd need to be filled in on that. :)

So, I could EMail you the file and you could build the boss and send it back? Is that how we could do it?

The item for the first dungeon is the Blue Candle.

Russ
09-02-2007, 11:10 PM
If the item is the blue candle, then we could make the tombstones burnable. And I know there are plenty of custom tiles drawn for the classic set at pure zc. Plus the new defult classic set was released, and that has so many new tiles. And yes, you could send me the file, then I'll add the boss and send it back. And you never did answer bout the sideview, 2.10 or 2.11 thing. If you did upgrade the quest, the boss will be so much easier to make. Plus I could attack a script to make the boss move. Wait, that gives me an idea. There are two types of digdoggers in 2.10. If we change the graphics of one of them to look like a ghost, we the boss could actually move, and be invincible, since you need the whistle to kill a digdigger, which the player won't have at this point. But if we do this, you wont be able to use one of the two digdoggers in the quest. Is that okay, or should we stick with the limited movement idea? Oh, and the tombstone thing, we would just put a burn flag on the tombstone, but secret tile 1 flag on the floor, and make the secret combo for the floor direct warp combos, so Link will just warp to the next screen.

LostInHyru1e
09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Sorry, but it's still on 2.10. My comp.'s crap as it is, so adding more crap on top of it isn't going to help. :)

We could put combo cycling and animation on the Ghost Tiles, make them all solid, make the front two "Damage 2 hearts" combos, and the back two "Statue" combos.

I think this could work very well. :)

Russ
09-03-2007, 12:42 AM
That would work pretty well. So just e-mail me the quest and I'll start working on it.

LostInHyru1e
09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Okay, I will, in a little while. But the .qst file is an absolute mess, filled to the brim with screens I will never use. I'll clean it up later. :)

LostInHyru1e
09-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I started - and almost finished - the boss, by your design. The newest E-Mail to you has it with the Ghost inside, but it's far from perfect.

Russ
09-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, it's pretty good. Although I think it would be better if:

The boss should be on layer three, so that Link walks under the ghost, as if it were floating.

It would look better if the burned gravestones, rather than just dissapering, became cracked or something like that.

Most custom bosses that have switches or something like that in all 4 corners have the order to hit them be top left, top right, bottem right, bottem left. You did it in reverse. It doesn't really matter, but most people will probably go straight for the top right one, which could be a good thing.

The problem with burning the tombstones with the blue candle is the blue candle can only be used once per screen. So if the player burns the wrong tombstone, then he is stuck. This cpould be fixed buy either giving Link the red candle or making the tombstones vulnerable to some other weopon.

Plus there is no boss music. Custom bosses always need music or they don't seem nearly as impresive. May I suggest this. (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gba/TMCBoss2.mid) It's the boss music from The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I think it suits the boss very well. Note the page will say it is forbidden, but all you have to do is click on the link they provide.

Overall, it's very good.

And by the way, you did the boss, so you don't have to put me in the credits. I just gave the idea:).

LostInHyru1e
09-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you so much! I was planning on putting music in later, and that music is perfect! But when you die, and go back to the beginning of the Dungeon, wouldn't you get the same music?

The idea with the cracked gravestones is really cool, but I don't really know how I could draw that. And of course you'll be given credit for the boss! It was YOUR idea! I couldn't have done it without your idea.

Now I've got to start brainstorming a new custom boss, 'cause a game with one custom boss is weird. :) Maybe Wart from MM... is it possible to make a Hookshot pull a combo toward you?

Russ
09-04-2007, 05:27 PM
But when you die, and go back to the beginning of the Dungeon, wouldn't you get the same music?

Nope.

And the cracked gravestones would be easy, just draw some black lines through them. Or you could make them turn into a pile of dirt.

Maybe Wart from MM... is it possible to make a Hookshot pull a combo toward you?

Not in 2.10, unfortunatly. But there is a script that does something like this. I know, it's upsetting to get a good idea, and then find out it can't be done. But don't worry, 2.5 is supposed to come out soon. After all, the developers only job now is bugfixing.

Now I've got to start brainstorming a new custom boss.

Just look at Hero of Dreams and you'll get ideas. Or, at least I did. Or you could try using bosses from other Zelda games. It is possible. In Hero of Dreams, Shoelace perfectly recreated the dodongo battle from OoT and even part of the Ganondorf battle.

And by the way, if you need more music, look at VGmusic. They have got pretty much everything.

LostInHyru1e
09-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay, I made some cracked gravestones, the boss is about done. Making easy custom bosses is fun. :) I think I might use the 2.10 Classic Set's giant Armos Statue tiles as a Custom Boss. That should be fun.

I also think I might use some ideas from other Zelda games - the eagle on the tower from Link's awakening seems appealing, if I could get it to work. It might take a while, though. I could use conveyer-belt type tiles for the gusts of wind he would blow, and make him combo-cycle toward Link, and if Link didn't shoot him with the bow fast enough, he would ram Link and hurt him.

If I could get my hands on some classic-type eagle tiles like that, I'm sure I could do it.

Russ
09-05-2007, 06:04 PM
You could just find a picture of the eagle and use the grab, file option in the tile editor, and then recolor him to look classic. Kind of funny, just beat him yesterday. But I used the hookshot. But if you use combo cycling, you cant attach an arrow or hookshot flag to the head. So this could really only be done in 2.11. Plus it would be a lot easier in 2.11, since it has combos that move. But I guess you could just make his head a slash combo. And 2.11 has a new classic set, with some tiles that would work for custom bosses. You should rip some tiles from there. And pure zc has some good classic tiles. You should look there.

And using the armos for I custom boss? Kinda funny. The main enemy in Hero of Dreams used the graphics for the giant armos in Link to the Past. But making armos statues custom bosses always seems to have interesting results.

LostInHyru1e
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm almost finished with the Armos Custom Boss. At the beginning of the battle, he says "These magic sponges and walls that surround me weed out my only weakness!", and you have to hit him with magic - via mirrors in the corner - to kill him. However, since magic sponges surround him, you need to go to the break in the wall and shoot the magic sponges with arrows so that you can bounce the magic at him around the walls, as there is no break in front of him.

Then, after you do that twice, he says that he's not going to give up that easy, and he starts to jump up and down and rocks fall on the screen, and you need to do the same thing as the first time again.

I still haven't created that second part yet, but that's what I plan to have him do. :)

Russ
09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Wow! That's a good idea. What you can do for the second part is make the player solve a puzzle where you have to move the mirrors into certain places so you can reflect the magic from your wand at the armos. Or even better, don't give the player the wand and make them use magic from wizzrobes to bounce off the mirrors and hit the armos.

LostInHyru1e
09-06-2007, 12:47 PM
The limitation on that is that the room is very small as it is. :) No push-mirror puzzles for this boss, but the dungeon hosting it will be filled with those puzzles. And I will give the player the wand for the boss fight, but I'll use wizzrobe-reflected magic type puzzles in the dungeon itself.

Would you like me to send you the boss?