PDA

View Full Version : Knytt Stories

Modus Ponens
09-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Nifflas (http://nifflas.ni2.se/) has done it again, this time with Knytt Stories (http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories), a sequel, I suppose, to Knytt, one of the previous 2-D masterpieces about which I gushed and raved to the members of this court. It was released just this past Thursday the 30th. Go play it! It's preternaturally enthralling.

DarkDragoonX
09-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I've been spending time with it all week. And it was actually released a few days ahead of schedule, on the 28th. Regardless, it's standard Nifflas quality, which is to say, pretty damn good. Including a level editor was an amazing idea as well (although the editor is quite clunky to use, unfortunately). The level included in the game and in the Nifflas level pack are all excellent, though so far user created levels (with a couple exceptions) have been thoroughly mediocre.

AtmaWeapon
09-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Whoa and I only just stumbled on Knytt! I am going to go check it out.

Glenn the Great
09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
I'd never heard of these games. I downloaded Knytt about an hour ago, and just beat it. It's a very casual game, but was a very relaxing diversion. I'll try the others sometime.

DarkDragoonX
09-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Knytt Stories is actually more of a game than Knytt is. Kytt is a purely casual exploration experience... you run around a world and look at neat stuff. Knytt Stories actually has various powerups to collect... wall climb, high jump, double jump, slow fall... it's structured more like a traditional platformer. Still not a hardcore game by any means, but fun nonetheless.

AtmaWeapon
09-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Knytt Stories is actually more of a game than Knytt is. Kytt is a purely casual exploration experience... you run around a world and look at neat stuff. Knytt Stories actually has various powerups to collect... wall climb, high jump, double jump, slow fall... it's structured more like a traditional platformer. Still not a hardcore game by any means, but fun nonetheless.From what I understand, Knytt had powerups too but I never really finished it so I cannot confirm or deny this rumor.

:toast:

DarkDragoonX
09-06-2007, 12:19 AM
No, the original Knytt lacked anything like that. You just wandered the world, collected all the ship parts, and you were done.

Glenn the Great
09-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm in the mood to tackle Knytt Stories, so that's what I'm going to go do right now.

I could tell that Knytt had to have been heavily inspired by Commander Keen. Not only was your situation nearly identical to that in the original Keen, but I recognized other Keen innovations like networks of cloud platforms in the air.

Glenn the Great
09-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Well, I just finished it. I only found 2 of these 4 keys though, so I guess I'm really not done yet though.

Beldaran
09-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Keen innovations like networks of cloud platforms in the air.

I think super mario bros. was first. Keen didn't come out until like, 1989 or 1990.

Glenn the Great
09-06-2007, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I'm sick of giving credit to fucking Mario every damn time.

I looked up the locations of the two keys I missed. I probably never would have found them if I hadn't. I saw the secret ending. Very cute.