PDA

View Full Version : [DN] Quest Template issues - they don't work

zcAmazing
08-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Loading:

Click File, then click Quest Templates. After loading a custom template (zqt file) into the the Quest Templates, choose the custom one and click OK. It doesn't change. Click File, then click new. Again, pick the custom template. It doesn't use that, instead it uses "New Default (can't change)."

DarkDragon
08-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure if DN ever finished implementing quest templates.

zcAmazing
08-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Dark Nation, your response? Finish correction or drop it out until 2.5?

Dark Nation
08-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Correction. Oddly enough, I could have sworn that this was working at one point. However, looking through the code (all the way back to 1.93 beta 3), it never did. :odd:

TheNewLink
08-31-2007, 11:43 PM
Correction. Oddly enough, I could have sworn that this was working at one point. However, looking through the code (all the way back to 1.93 beta 3), it never did. :odd:
Go further. I'm pretty sure it worked in 1.93 b183.

zcAmazing
11-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the notice, Dark Nation.

Bug still exists in 660, the most recent alpha.

zcAmazing
11-23-2007, 03:45 PM
That problem is still taking place in 675.

zcAmazing
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Still occuring in 692. Any plans?

zcAmazing
12-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Moving it up. Can you inspect the problem? 693.

DarkDragon
12-15-2007, 03:00 PM
There's nothing to inspect; there is simply no code at all in ZQ to handle quest templates.

I'd take a crack at implementing them, but first I'd need to know what they're suppose to do. Alternatively, given that they don't and have never worked, we could remove all mention of them for now and implement them after 2.50.

ShadowTiger
12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I agree. I think a Quest Template was supposed to be, essentially, just opening up one of those awesome blank tilesets, like the DoR Tileset, just without any introductory example rooms pre-made upon opening. (Like a screen devoted to housing combos you can right-click scroll to.) So in a way, just having those tilesets on your hard drive and knowing that you have them makes the Quest Templates area somewhat moot.

... I think.

nicklegends
12-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I agree with DarkDragon and ShadowTiger to an extent--there's no extreme need to have them because there are other easy ways to accomplish a similar task. But with that said, I don't believe they are totally useless.

Right now, the system of distributing tilesets is imperfect--If one forgets to make a back-up of a downloaded tileset file, it has to be re-downloaded when a new quest is created off it. Now, consider a quest template file which has the same file format as a QST but with a different extension, so it cannot be overwritten by the save command. The tileset file would always be there, available for manipulation, but upon saving the quest, a duplicate of the edited file QST format would be created, leaving the original ZQT file alone for future manipulation.

I think that was the templates' original intent, anyway. Even now, if you change the extension of a ZQT file to QST, it loads as a normal quest would. I know the crew has its hands full trying to fix the bugs right now, but with this feature's apparent ease of implementation, I think it would be worth it.

zcAmazing
12-15-2007, 07:38 PM
There's nothing to inspect; there is simply no code at all in ZQ to handle quest templates.

I'd take a crack at implementing them, but first I'd need to know what they're suppose to do. Alternatively, given that they don't and have never worked, we could remove all mention of them for now and implement them after 2.50.

I am afraid this is going to be deferred. Might want to remove the feature and start over after 2.5. Make the New command open up the Default Template directly. Remove the Quest Templates command.

Just use Import and Export for the quest template stuff.

Move it in Limbo?