PDA

View Full Version : The Seven High-Tech Wonders of the World

Prrkitty
08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
By Lance Ulanoff, pcmag.com editor/writer

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294777,00.html

Very interesting read. I'm sure there are other technologies that would/could fit better into the 7 wonders... these are his choice items.

phattonez
08-28-2007, 06:53 PM
I really don't think that the Wii and iPhone are at the same level as the laser.

Masamune
08-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Nor do I. =\

Archibaldo
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
The laser seems kinda general. He should have been more specific about it. But the Wii and th iPhone I agree with. Just technology wise though, then again thats pretty much the whole premises isn't it? The Wii is the first thing to properly and fully use motion sensors and iPhone is well, truly remarkable with the hardware it has.

Beldaran
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
The only thing that makes the iPhone a wonder is that it's a wonder anyone gets suckered into buying them.

Freedom
08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
That guy's easily amused for sure.
I wonder what his reaction would be if he was standing down at the end of the runway when a B17, or a B1B lifted off just inches above his head.

phattonez
08-29-2007, 12:05 AM
That wouldn't be high-tech to him, from what I saw. Apparently he only likes small gadgets that are pretty useless (I'm not saying that lasers are useless, but he's probably only used to laser pointers).

Freedom, you must have crashed the site, because you were the last one to post before it went down. ;)

Freedom
08-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Freedom, you must have crashed the site, because you were the last one to post before it went down. ;)

Probably the first time in my life I ever got the last word about anything. ;)

AtmaWeapon
08-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Really only two items on that list are worthy of any kind of wonder; the rest are kind of corporate plugs.

Microsoft surface computing isn't even the most exciting thing out there for surface computing; there are plenty of other implementations of the technology out there and one particularly thrilling implementation I saw could manipulate objects via magnetic fields; it played a game of pong against itself with a real ball. Of course I can't find the stupid link because thanks to our blogosphere web 2.0 extravaganza any search for surface computing turns up "OH GOD THANK YOU MICROSOFT I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE TO PAY FOR A PROJECTOR AND THE TABLE AND I CAN ONLY USE THE COMPUTER IN THE DARK OOOOOOOHHHHH YEAH there are other guys making table pcs but maybe if I review this well enough I keep my job THIS IS THE FUTURE YOU NEED IT DON'T ASK WHY!"

Probably the first time in my life I ever got the last word about anything. ;)You make me glad I took you off my ignore list on a whim.

DarkDragoonX
08-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Wow... those are some pretty simpleminded wonders. Show that guy the international space station and he'll probably set up a small shrine and start sacrificing goats or something.

Saffith
08-29-2007, 09:57 AM
If that list were presented as something like "the seven high-tech wonders of everyday life," it wouldn't be too bad. But the world's already got dancing robots and space stations, and now they're working on invisibility cloaks and levitation devices (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/06/nlevitate106.xml). Flat-panel monitors are pretty unimpressive by comparison.

phattonez
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
We already have levitation devices, haven't you heard of a Maglev train?