PDA

View Full Version : What classes are you taking this quarter?

biggiy05
08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Like the title asks? What's your class load look like?

For me it's only two classes this quarter.

EMS 110 EMT-Basic

and

EMS 142 Vertical Rescue
(copied from the school page)

This course is designed to present the fundamentals of rope rescue, using up-to-date equipment and techniques with a major emphasis on safety. Terminology, selection of proper equipment, essential knots, and current standards will be presented, as well as rope rescue systems and litter packaging. Practical application evolutions will include solving rescue problems and evaluating rope rescue systems and/or techniques. Includes rescue of the injured and/or stranded from ledges, cliffs, elevator shafts, etc.

phattonez
08-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Right now I'm taking Chem 96, which is basically Calculus and Chemistry. My other class is HC 26, which is an English course that deals with works that have medicine in them.

In the fall, I'm taking English 96, about American Novels, Chem 14-A, and Calculus 3C. Not bad for a freshman's first quarter.

Beldaran
08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Computer Science 1430 - Algorithms, classes, sorting, etc.
Great Texts of the Ancient World - Plato, Homer, Virgil, much snoring to be had
Calculus III - easy because I already did all the math in one of my engineering classes
Statistical Analysis - easy

Basically, this semester turned out to be a cakewalk. Next semester will be a lot more heavy duty.

Deviance
08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Ah the course I am taking is just only science for 5 weeks and I will be done with the night school program I am in. Then I will relax for awhile before I decided to head to college. Need to come up with the money first because I know grants will not cover all of it.

Archibaldo
08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
French - French, nothing else really
Geography - I needed to take an intro course and this is the only one that fit my schedule.
Intro to Political Science - again, I needed another intro class.
Computers for Social Sciences - I get to learn how to use MS Word all over again. Required class.
Intro to Marketing - I figured that since I want to go into advertising I should probably take this class.
Introduction to Methodology - The whole course is pretty much just preparation to do the final project and come November, I won't need to go to class any more, just to my teacher's office for a meeting every once in a while.
Tennis - I need to take a gym class and this class finishes in September. So once it's over I free up 2 3 hour blocks on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Lilith
08-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I am writing an admissions essay and I am really nervous because almost every time I hand in an essay for the first time the instructor thinks I'm plagiarizing, and I am afraid that if I put in a note about that it will be suspicious.

Dechipher
08-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Music Theory III MWF 11-12
Aural Skills III TR 11-12
Symphony Orchestra TR 2-4
Big Band T R 4-6
Music Survey MWF 1-2
Percussion Ensemble MWF 4-6
Two actual hours of percussion lessons M F 3-4
One actual hour of Composition lesson W 3-4
30 minutes of Guitar lessons M 2:30-3
Class Piano TR 1-2

I think thats all, in addition to teaching percussion every day at a high school from 7:30-10, which basically means 7-10:30 including travel. Also Tuesday nights I teach lessons for 2 hours, Wednesday nights I have rehearsal from 7:30-10, and Friday I have football games for the high school I teach at.
Also I'm currently preparing like 25 orchestral excerpts for an audition for the OKC Philharmonic in a month.
That's my life right now.

The_Amaster
08-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Ummm...

German 102, AP English/AP History on alternating days, Honors Chemistry(although I may get it moved to 2nd semester) and Honors Algebra II.

Pretty good semester, although my second I have Creative Writig and Engineering/Architecture, so that will be fun.

Modus Ponens
08-28-2007, 12:51 AM
For the first time in twenty years (other than summers), NONE. No classes at all. I am, as they say in bad movies, "too old for this shit".

Skulkraken
08-28-2007, 04:57 AM
I only have one class this semester: Visual Basic. Once I finish this, I'll have my Associate's in Computer Science. I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do once that happens.

Dechipher
08-28-2007, 08:04 AM
For the first time in twenty years (other than summers), NONE. No classes at all. I am, as they say in bad movies, "too old for this shit".

Correction. As they say in bad movies, and Anchorman.

Glenn the Great
08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm still in Summer Quarter, which ends in one week. Once this week is over, I will have my Associate in Computer Programming.

So, the last two classes that I'm in right now are

ECO 192 - Microeconomics. It's a pretty standard economics class where we learn about general market issues like supply and demand, as well as profit-maximization and utility-maximizing techniques for firms and consumers.

ENG 195 - Technical Communications. This is a writing class that teaches us to write professional documents. We learn ways to present information in a clear and concise manner and provide many opportunities for the teacher to pick on our grammar.

So basically this quarter was just wrapping up unfinished core classes. Once it is over, I will have completed a total of 20 courses for my degree.

ZTC
08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Posting from my Microsoft Word class >_>
I've also got MacroEcon, general Psychology, Physical Science, and an Excel class. Boring stuff this time. *sigh*

biggiy05
08-28-2007, 11:33 AM
I might be able to add search and rescue if a seat opens up when fees are due. If not it will have to wait until spring quarter. I'd love to take ice and cold water rescue but that's only during winter quarter and I won't be here for two weeks.

Aegix Drakan
08-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I only have one class this semester: Visual Basic. Once I finish this, I'll have my Associate's in Computer Science. I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do once that happens.

Visual Basic is fun. I did it in grade 11. My final project was an FPS style game. Very very buggy, but still cool.

My classes: (I'm in Graphic design)

Entrepeneurship ({yay, let's all learn how to run owr own business! -_- I don't think so...)
Animated graphics 2: Actionscript (learning Programming using Flash. -_- I forgot everything I knew about actionscript already...)
Business Center 1 (unknown quantity...)
Career planning (I basically have to FIND a freaking company to do a n internship in. -_- major suckage)
Magazine publishing (Just had it. It's gonna be freaking annoying, especially due to not being allowed to color print at school.)
PRepress (oh man...I know what this is gonna be... -_- I hate this kind of thing...)
Stress Management (...not too bad, for a gym class anyway)
Spanish 1: (CURSE YOU SPANISH CLASS!!! Because of you, I miss the last bus out on Monday, and I don't find you interesting at all!)
Graphic communications: (Finally, a class that involves actual design work. yay. -_-)

This is gonna be a long, LONG 5 weeks....

-_-

biggiy05
08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Off topic...

Aegix Drakan, your avatar. Did you register at TMN?

Glenn the Great
08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I had two Visual Basic classes. An introductory and an advanced level. It's good stuff, but when given a choice of Microsoft languages to use, I prefer C# mainly for the syntax, as I specialize in Java (having had 3 different courses in that.)

For those who are interested, here are my previous classes I've completed:

Core
College Algebra
Psychology
Humanities
English I

Required Career-related
Intro to Java
Intermediate Java
Advanced Java
Visual Basic I
Visual Basic II
Intro to Microcomputers
Microcomputer Concepts
Operating System Concepts
Networking Fundamentals
Database Administration
Systems Analysis and Design
Program Design and Development

Selectives
Principles of Accounting
Linux/UNIX

Aegix Drakan
08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Off topic:

Aegix Drakan, your avatar. Did you register at TMN?

...what the heck is TMN?

On topic: the booklist for my courses is insane, as always. I have to pay about 50 - 70 $ on average for each book, and 60 bucks for a spanish book, that's actually just half of the original book, but only costs 10$ less. -_-

erm2003
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
If you ever find out what your books are ahead of time, your best bet is to do shopping online. I used to save almost half the amount I would have paid through my campus bookstore by shopping on half.com, amazon.com, or other sites that are much more reasonable. You can't always sell them back through your bookstore but you are still better off doing this and then selling them online if you don't want to keep them. It saves a bunch in the long run.

Rainman
08-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to fix basically all the mistakes I've had in the past and doing well this semester. Unfortunately my classes seem to require even more time management then I've ever needed in the past. It's my Senior year though, so that's to be expected.

Software Engineering - Studying how to develop software in a team
Introduction to Operating Systems - process and resource management Will be working with Linux and adding features.
Senior Design Project - I will be working in a team to create some kind of product. Not much more details at the moment.
Database Management Systems - just database stuff
Intro to Macroeconomic Theory - studying how the economy works on a nation-wide scale