View Full Version : Hm... here we go. Need some OoT scripts

gray0x
08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
- Bomb Flowers
- Breakable Swords
- Blue Fire + other bottle items
- Deku Sticks that can light on fire

Edit:

- Some way to check if you have shield + sword (for the guy that dies that outside the Deku Tree)
- Epona

I think I can do the rest once I learn FFC's =D

C-Dawg
08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Mimicry might be the sincerest form of flattery, but originality is alot more fun, isnt it?

Anyway... here's how to do what you want to do.

(1) Bomb Flowers

These are do-able, certainly, but they won't interface with bomb secrets built into Zquest. What you'd want to do is have an FFC you can pick up (someone already did a script for this) and then, when you put it down, it becomes a lit bomb. Problem is, we currently have no scripting control over weapon sprites (like swords, arrows, etc). Now, you can SIMULATE this by making a series of FFCs that animate and damage enemies just like a bomb. But it won't trigger bomb secrets. For that, you'd need to make ANOTHER script that detects the presence of the simulated bomb, and changes screen combos / plays secret noises accordingly.

So, impossible? No. Conceptually hard? Not really. Burdensome? Absolutely.

(2) Breakable Swords

This one's really easy. Have an item script that increments a global variable every time the item is used (or every time it strikes something; that is, when the player is close to a wall or enemy). When the global variable is high enough, the item is removed from the player's inventory.

(3) Blue Fire, etc.

A custom item that makes a little graphic is really easy. Just like with bomb flowers, though, you can't interact directly with secrets. So you'd need a second script (ice wall?) that checks to see if a blue flame ffc is close to it, and if so, reacts just like secrets were triggered. Much easier than the bomb flower.

(4) Deku Sticks & Fire

Item script activates a variable or sets an FFC in place; then a carryover FFC script draws a stick out in front of Link as long as the button is held down. That part isn't bad. Maybe start with a slashing animation and simulate a sword attack? Not to bad. As for lighting on fire, you could check to see what combo number the stick is on top of, and change the graphics when it's above a flame. Thats not bad either. BUT just like above, your burning stick will not be able to directly interact with burn combos. You need a custom script that activates when the burning stick is placed over it.

(5) Checking for Items

This one is, like, two lines of code. Please refer to the Documentation thread over in the scripting forum.

(6) Epona

This has a few elements:
(1) A dummy item that uses Link Tile Offset to make him look like he's riding a horse:
(2) Several FFCs that make up the body of Epona and follow under Link. Perhaps they damage and push away enemies that get to close. Also should speed up Link's movement significantly. Wouldn't be too hard to make them hop over one-tile-long unwalkables, either. The hardest part here is drawing all the animation frames for the horse.
(3) An item script that gets you on the horse, and other sundry scripts that make you get off of it. Maybe use a special flag to make no-horse-here tiles.

Difficult, but interesting and totally doable.

gray0x
08-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Hm... so its possible, that's good to know.
Now if I can get somebody to do them, besides that item check.

ShadowMancer
08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I am going to be writeing a few scripts for my quest that will simulate the activation of secrets (as part of a global script) I will be makeing a bomb that is a FFC that can be picked up and thrown again (damages enemies and activates secrets), and also a 'Flame thrower' type weapon that activates burn flags. Once I have these scripts up and running I will gladly share them and help to modify them to your needs. I am not sure exactly how Bomb Flowers, Blue Fire or Deku Sticks should work (never played Oot) but these should be a good start. I am not sure how long until I get to working on these scripts but they are on my list of things to finish before I release my demo.

Russ
08-28-2007, 07:08 PM
I am not sure exactly how Bomb Flowers, Blue Fire or Deku Sticks should work (never played Oot) but these should be a good start

Bomb flowers are bombs that grow on plants. You pick them up and throw them and they blow up. Blue fire is a fire that you put on a bottle. Empty it on to ice and the ice melts. Deku sticks are, well sticks. You touch them to a torch and the catch on fire. You then use them to light other torches to activate secrets.

ShadowMancer
08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Ah, well that all sounds easy enough to script. but I have a few other things to write first (requests and vital scripts to continueing my quest)

gray0x
08-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Cool, can't wait to see how they turn out. As for now, I should at least start the Kokiri Forest =/

Oh, and you should play OoT, one of the best games ever. Zelda or not.

ShadowMancer
08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Yea I really want to get around to playing all the newer zelda games but I just can't see buying a $200+ game system just to play a couple of zelda games :D (well I would play the mario and kirby games as well) Anyway yea I'm just 2 scripts away from starting these weapons scripts (I'm gonna release a whole arsanal of FFC weapons for all to use) Man so many ideas now we got ZScript, I might need to clone myself to write them all :p

Russ
08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Man so many ideas now we got ZScript, I might need to clone myself to write them all :p

Then just use this

ffc script "cloner"
{
{if ShadowMancer clones <=0
clone ShadowMancer;

else
clone him anyways;
}
}

Sorry, coulnd't resit.:D

But a nintendo 64 is only $20 or so. You should seriously play OoT. If I am correct, it is the only game to recieve a perfect rating. And is the only game that Zelda Classic can't provide a decent remake for.:D

gray0x
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Then just use this

And is the only game that Zelda Classic can't provide a decent remake for.:D

Until we make it =o
(we being me and my friends)

Plissken
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Does anyone even want to try to do the epona one? I would if I knew how to script, but I would love this if it is possible.