PDA

View Full Version : A few minor annoyances with Room State Carryovers

Nimono
08-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't know if this is a bug or not, so I'm just putting it in Beta Discussion, in case it isn't.

Lately, I've been using Room State Carryovers to simulate the colored blocks and Crystal Switches from LttP. If you've seen them before, you'd know that hitting a switch lowers/raises the blocks in the room you're in, and in all rooms in the dungeon that have the blocks. Therefore, I use RSCs to where if you trigger the Crystal Switch in one room, the blocks raise/lower in another. In that other room, doing the same works the same. One problem. It DOESN'T work the same. Since it's just a loop back to the original screen you find the Crystal Switch on, if you trigger the secret, it's fine. Leave the screen, come back, it's still triggered. NOW. Trigger it again, leave the screen, come back, and I find that the switch reverted back to the state it was in when first hit. Started blue, went to red when hit, left screen, came back, hit it, went to blue, left screen, came back, and it's red again. WTH is wrong with that picture? Simple.

It's obvious the RSCs will not just loop the secret, but somehow, it triggers it AGAIN after being carried over in the loop. It doesn't seem to trigger again after the first loop, or else it'd freeze when triggering the secret. If this is how it's supposed to be, then I can see it being used for many puzzles, but at the cost of the Crystal Switches and the blocks... I'd like to see a screen flag that prevents the secrets from being triggered again in a loop when carried over... I still consider this a bug, though. It really shouldn't be doing this when carried over. The only reason I feel it's a bug is because if it wasn't, the game would freeze when I triggered the secret...

Thanks for listening.

Freedom
08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, can you go back through the bug threads and bump all your bug reports up with a "fixed" or "still a bug"?
You got a bunch in there and I'm not sure what to do with them all.

ON the thing above.
If you are "tiering" secrets, then the second one triggered will revert down to the first trigger when you re-enter.
Like... if you have two candles to light and come back only the first is burning.
SO... I don't think you are going to be able to toggle those rooms like that.

What you might want to do is make 2 maps, one with blocks up, the other with blocks down, and then when you hit a switch have it set a warp tile to send him back and forth.

DarkDragon
08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Or slap a simple script on each screen to toggle the blocks.

C-Dawg
08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Scripting can do anything at all, it's true, but the behavior that pikaguy is looking for should be possible without it.

Now's a good time to see if some dev can explain exactly how Room State Carryovers work, technically. As far as I can tell, they only work if you have triggered permanent secrets, and they DO NOT "un-trigger" when you hit a Room Reset combo in the first Carrying over room. How do Room State Carryovers work exactly, Dark?