PDA

View Full Version : Aarg, Bug! Octorocks only fire once when their step speed is 0.

Gleeok
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Alright _L_ i'm pretty sure this is the last of the octo-bugs. Due to their misc1 >0 ability, I have amassed a small army of octorocks and the only thing that isn't working is that they only fire weapons once when step speed is set to zero.

Also is it currently possible to make projectile type enemies behave as octo-3's?

Anarchy_Balsac
08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
That's most likely not a bug, but rather a result of how octorocks were originally designed. They're supposed to stop, fire, then move again. But setting their step speed to 0 prevents them from moving again, and in effect, stopping to fire, and therefor, firing at all.

Tweaking it so that they can fire multiple times when step speed is 0 though is a nice idea.

Gleeok
08-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Ahh yes, I have already thought of that. But it is halt rate that determines how often they stop(halt) and fire. See for yourself.

-If you set halt rate to 0, octorocks will never fire weapons.
-If you set it to 16 they will fire every step they take.
(The reason octorocks on crack rarely shoot magic is due to the halt rate being 1. Following the step speed logic would mean that they would fire alot because step is 200, That is not the case.)

But here is the problem; It's checking whether or not the octorock took a step or not before it fires it's weapon.

Of coarse I need these to work for custom bosses, but i'm sure it would be much easier if there was a misc that could be set for projectile shooters instead.

....And I really have to ask this one: How hard would it be to increase the amount of enemies to like 500? I am running thin on precious custom enemy slots.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-24-2007, 11:38 PM
But here is the problem; It's checking whether or not the octorock took a step or not before it fires it's weapon.

Exactly, so that it can't "halt" again and fire before moving. If the direction they need to fire is just up I know you can use a modified death knight and hold it in place. But that's the problem, even the ones that don't require a halt to fire will only ever fire in one direction when held in place.

Instead of enemies, use a FFC script for shooting statues to make the ones in your boss room do more damage than normal and/or fire more often.

Gleeok
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah, that's why projectile shooters are so awesome, they are stationary, home in on link, and don't count towards enemies->secrets.

Honestly though, even if it's not a bug it'll get quickly moved out of the active bugs list by _L_ anyway. I believe no one else is thoroughly testing this stuff so if I come across anything I can't count on it being brought up or posted by someone else. Best to make shure.

DarkDragon
09-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Because the enemy code was written long before changing enemy properties was expected, almost all enemies break in some way when step is changed, especially when it is changed several times per screen, eg through a script. 90% of the enemy code will basically need to be completely rewritten to be more robust.

I'd like to put off doing so until post-2.50, and for bugs like this one and the Rope step bug, say "don't do that" for now.