PDA

View Full Version : Lost Woods Guide.... Follow the Monkey!

Majora
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
That's what I need. a FFC that leads you through the Lost Woods. How complicated would it be? I don't know what a scripter would need to know to make this work, so rather than spout random info, what would you need to know to make this work? A FFC that carries over, and waits at the center of the screen for X tics, and then goes in the correct direction.

ShadowMancer
08-22-2007, 08:48 PM
okay, that seems simple enough, it would not even need to carryover just put the FFC at the center of each screen you would need it on. I am thinking also to put a check to see what direction Link enters from so that say Link follows to one screen and then goes back the monkey will not appear on that screen this way he will only be led foward. But I think I will get to work on writeing it, since everything in my quest is going haywire right now and I need a break :D. I am assumeing that the monkey would only have to travel in one direction each screen and not through a maze or anything complex like that (it could be done fairly simply with FFC changers) Alright gotta script gotta script gotta script...

Majora
08-22-2007, 09:55 PM
If you like, I can PM you a map (or a list of directions) of the Lost Woods. (there are several "Maze Path" screens, but the monkey can take a break on those, a coupla NPC's should do the trick.)

ShadowMancer
08-22-2007, 09:58 PM
You will be able to set the directions on each screen with arguments. I just finished writeing the script, now I need to do a quick test to make sure it does what I expect it to then I will post it for ya.

argh, minor technical dificulties, getting tired script more tommorow.. zzzzzz

gamer07
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Or do like bonegolem did and leave clu's with animal sprits.

ShadowMancer
08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Well its looking like this is a bit tricker than I had imagined. The main problem is the way maze paths work, even if i can get the FFC to carryover correctly the problem is detecting which side Link exits on. The idea I am working with will work fine if the player does not decide to take a wrong turn (yes I know the monkey will lead you the right way but I don't like to leave anything to chance that the player will do things the way you expect them to, that is a programmers worst mistake :) ) Basically, if the player takes a different direction, the maze path will reset, but I (curently) have no way of detecting this with code so the monkey will keep leading you down the path from the last point you left off even though the maze reset itself (that sentence made more sense in my head)
Example: maze path: Up,Left,Down,Right
First screen: Monkey goes up , Link goes up (good)
2nd screen: Monkey goes left, Link goes right (oops, stupid player)
<Maze resets>: Monkey goes down... (no one told the monkey the maze reset)
So you see my problem. I am calling it quits on this for now, if by some random chance a fairy slaps me in the head and I get a great idea to fix it then I will.. othwise I suggest either useing some other type of clues or 'Manually' building a lost woods (not useing a maze path) then it should be easy to script.

gamer07
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah but bonegolems maze took me awile to fig out and i've beatin almost every zelda game?

Majora
08-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I have a solution! I didn't need a script originally, I just rushed to request one >_<

What I COULD do, is have 1 FFC per screen, and just set it to wait a few seconds before going in the correct direction.

gamer07
08-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Chould work try.Then if it don't work we'll figure somehting else out i'm goin to try something right now brb.