PDA

View Full Version : Best Desktop PC Brand?

Yoshiman
08-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Since my laptop is slowly dying (monitor is the main problem), I'm looking for a new computer. I'm actually looking into getting a good desktop. Reason being, desktops are usually cheaper and easier to install hardware onto. And I really never took my laptop out of my room, so portability isn't an issue.

So, I ask you guys: What brands of desktop PCs are the best? Here's a short list of some things I'm looking for (with most important things in blue):

Price- Something within the $800 to $1800 range. Doesn't have to be bargin bin cheap, but I don't need a supercomputer.
Gaming- I want something that can run a game or two. It doesn't have to be high-end, but I'd like to be able to run games like Half-Life and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Location- I'd like to be able to find a good PC at a place such as Best Buy or Circuit City. I'm not extremely fond of online retailers.
Quality- I've heard bad things about Gateways, and we've never had any luck with HP. The Toshiba (which I'm replacing) has had a good 4 year run without any problems.

phattonez
08-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Mine is custom built, and I like that so much better.

AlexMax
08-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Custom built if you can put up with the aggrivation of putting it together.

Otherwise, I'd get a cheap HP with at least a gig of memory and throw a decent $150 graphics card in it. I've heard confilicting opinions about Dell, but all I know is that I saw a somewhat-recent dell that had the AGP slot literally ripped out and soldered over, which I think is supremely shitty.

The_Amaster
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, custom is the way to go. I'd buy some cheap old thing to use as a framework, then methodicaly replace every part with a better one. That's what I did.

I heard recently that Dell was in a lot of trouble actually. Some corporate scandal or something.

biggiy05
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, custom is the way to go. I'd buy some cheap old thing to use as a framework, then methodicaly replace every part with a better one. That's what I did.

I heard recently that Dell was in a lot of trouble actually. Some corporate scandal or something.

Why buy an older system and upgrade when you can save your money and buy a new system and put it together?

Also Yoshiman check your PM.