PDA

View Full Version : This is why you love American news.

phattonez
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm sure most of you heard about the crack in the space shuttle Endeavor, but how many people heard that it landed safely?

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-shuttle22aug22,0,3578167.story?coll=la-home-center

I didn't figure it out until I was looking for something interesting to read.

erm2003
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
That's good to hear that they landed safely. I am surprised that wasn't more prominent in the news but it did just happen this morning. I am sure it will be more widely known by later tonight.

Prrkitty
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
As you'd expect, since I post so many news articles, that I've heard and read about both. :) Thanks hon for helping keep us up to date on news... <hug>

phattonez
08-21-2007, 02:43 PM
erm, I bet you anything that it won't even be shown before the second commercial break.

erm2003
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
erm, I bet you anything that it won't even be shown before the second commercial break.

Oh no doubt. It could be the last news story aired for most stations. You have to get all the murders out of the way first.

phattonez
08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Actually, I wish it was murders instead of most of the stupid stories that we usually get like an update on the Phil Spector trial or a new study that contradicts the one that they showed last night.

Prrkitty
08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Murders, Vick, government spending... etc. The fact that they came home safe despite the crack... is VERY newsworthy and should be most important. Especially since that last one blew up on entry, such a tragedy.

Beldaran
08-21-2007, 05:28 PM
TV only reports bad news. I never saw a mention of it on television yet, although I'm sure it will eventually be mentioned in a 2 second sound bite, and then back to three hours of murder, divorce, catastrophe, and scandal.

However, I knew all about it on my own because I follow the space program obsessively.

AtmaWeapon
08-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I am glad they didn't explode but I really like reading the big investigation reports after large disasters like that because I derive some kind of nasty pleasure when it turns out the problem was failure to heed the warnings of engineers.

Beldaran
08-21-2007, 07:58 PM
some kind of nasty pleasure when it turns out the problem was failure to heed the warnings of engineers.

lol I can totally relate to this. :googly:

DarkDragoonX
08-22-2007, 09:53 AM
You'd be amazed at how many problems are caused by people ignoring the warnings of engineers, scientists, and the like. I mean, you're only ignoring an expert in their specialized field who is in all likelihood much smarter than you are! What could possibly go wrong?

ZTC
08-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm not surprised that I heard nothing on this. =/
Glad to hear they made it back though.