PDA

View Full Version : This place needs restructuring.

phattonez
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Usually, the order is admin, super mod, and forum mod. Right now, we only have forum mods. Super mods pop in occasionally, but for the most part, there's nothing. We lack admins so we can't get any of the mods to the forum that we all want like a star system and arcade, etc. I think we're doing fine without super mods for now because we don't really have that much activity. I think we can all agree that we need admins here to keep things interesting, what does everyone else think?

ShadowTiger
08-20-2007, 06:44 PM
*Happily points to signature*
:D

You know he's right. It's a fairly modest request/suggestion as well. Hard to deny.

DarkDragon
08-20-2007, 06:53 PM
The thing is, admins by themselves are just smods with control over user privileges.

What you really want are forum hacks, which for the most part require programmer intervention by modifying the vB php source. Moreover whenever you upgrade vB (in response to vulnerabilities exploited by Turkish hackers, say) you erase all hacks, which must then be manually reinstalled.

Shadowblazer used to do our hacks, but he's been lost to the Real World for quite some time. I PMed War Lord recently asking that something be done about the hacks, and volunteering my services; we'll see if anything comes about.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Hacks=so easy to implement.

If Warlord would be willing to give a lowly moderator such as myself access to the FTP, I would love to install hacks...I have all the time in the world.

phattonez
08-20-2007, 09:10 PM
We also need admins to be the final word on ban decisions, that way we could have avoided the whole mess with Glenn and Lilith's banning.

Lilith
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Please make me a mod because I'm pretty cool.

The_Amaster
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Hacks=so easy to implement.

If Warlord would be willing to give a lowly moderator such as myself access to the FTP, I would love to install hacks...I have all the time in the world.

Same here. Well, except I'm not a mod...
Actually, I wouldn't mind being a ZC forums mod, seeing as I'm like, always on and those are the forums with the most trouble.(Double posts, useless threads, etc.)

Whatever happened to the arcade anyway?

(Any comments I make are not meant to be disrespectful or impertinent, but just a good community desire to improve life here at AGN)

phattonez
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
The arcade went away with an upgrade. Really, almost all of the nice features go away with upgrades.

AtmaWeapon
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
If Warlord makes me an administrator I promise to do my best to disappoint him as spectacularly as possible.

Remember guys if you vote for me you vote for the person who you know can actually deliver the results he promised!

erm2003
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I have volunteered to help a few times, especially getting the quest database back up. I am on here a lot so I would hope that I could at least be considered if there is any change happening.

Brasel
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
We also need admins to be the final word on ban decisions, that way we could have avoided the whole mess with Glenn and Lilith's banning.

I've never actually seen the staff forum, but I'm sure that banning of more established members aren't taken as lightly as say, a random spammer or advertiser, and are talked about to some degree in the staff forum. Though I could be wrong.

The_Amaster
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Really, almost all of the nice features go away with upgrades.
Kinda makes it not really an upgrade, doesn't it?

Seriously, having the arcade back would be awsome. I can think of at least one good member (Imprisoned) who I haven't seen around at all since it went away.

I would hope that some thought goes into banning the more "real" members.

Beldaran
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I wish the arcade still existed as well. That was a lot of fun.

If we had a PHP person doing some periodic hacks, that could lead to some really cool improvements. I really hope that happens.

I volunteer to not do anything because I don't have any free time. :)

phattonez
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Didn't we have 5 admins at a time before? Now we have none? How did this happen?

If only admins can get to the admin cp, then I'd want DarkDragon since it seems like he would know what he would be doing.

The_Amaster
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Wait...isn't Warlord some kind of admin?

Agreed. DD is awsome, responsible, and probably knows what he's doing.

phattonez
08-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I meant active admins. Sure, we have a few admins right now, but they're almost never here for a variety a reasons.

The_Amaster
08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
This leads to an interesting paradox. We need someone of authority, such as an Admin or Warlord to actually make this discussion worth anything, but they're almost never on, so it can't.

Should we make a list of people who should/volunteer to be mods/smods/admins, or is it too early?

phattonez
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
It's kind of worthless until Warlord get here, but I know that once goKi and Solaris Omega were hired, they did that kind of thing.

Just as an example, Rainman is a mod of this forum, but he hasn't been here since April!

SpykStorm
08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
So....What y'all are saying is that the not an admin to appoint a new admin to keep things interesting around here?

DarkDragon
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Admins already do have the final word on bannings; see the appeal section in the TOS ;)

Senior mods have always had ban power and I think that's the best way to handle the forums - there are many times when a member of the senior staff needs to act quickly to stop a massive spam attack or defuse a situation, and the admins are nowhere near active enough to handle such situations on their own.

phattonez
08-20-2007, 10:11 PM
The appeal section is there, but do you really think that Warlord is going to look at those when he doesn't even have the time to be active on the forums? It's not a criticism, but it wouldn't make any sense for him to do that.