PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Winter Demo(Subtle plea for betas-testers)

LostInHyru1e
08-19-2007, 07:43 PM
http://two.xthost.info/LostInHyrule/Eternal%20Winter%20Demo(2).qst (http://two.xthost.info/LostInHyrule/Eternal%20Winter%20Demo(2).qst)

Hello people of ZeldaClassic. Above is a link to the Demo Version of Legend of Zelda: Eternal Winter, to be played on ZeldaClassic2.10. It includes only 4 dungeons: Two sub-dungeons, the first level, and an optional dungeon. The overworld is secluded in the demo version, and you may see a few things that seem out of place - particularly around Lake Hylia - where I have closed passages throughout the overworld up, because the areas aren't finished.

The finished version of this game should have more overworld space than a 16x8, as there will be two overworlds; I intend to have 9 full levels, 3+ sub-dungeons, and 3+ optional dungeons. Eternal Winter uses the classic Legend of Zelda tileset.

The real reason I have posted this demo is because I really want feedback; I want hard-core gamers to play through the demo and rip it apart, criticizing every part, telling me every single thing that's wrong; be it from bugs to a difficulty levels being wrong.

I thank everybody who tries this game very much! But first, I have a question for players:

I don't know if the music for the game is functional, because I haven't been able to test it; I don't understand why, but my Computer only plays the SFX volumes, not the Midis: this doesn't only apply to my game, but the original Legend of Zelda and all the rest of the custom quests I get. I would like to know if the music really does play, and if it plays correctly; if so, I would also like to know peoples opinions on it.

The Dungeons don't have singular music yet, just the regular Dungeon music.

Thanks again!

---

Story: 50 years after the events of Legend of Zelda...

Link has now saved Hyrule twice, and rescued Princess Zelda twice, to live out the remainder his life in peace.
What he doesn't know is that Ganondorf's Minions are still loyal to him, and that they were waiting. When Link dies,
they take his blood and spill it upon Ganon's ashes, and Ganon rises once more.

However, the prophecy says that whenever a danger threatens Hyrule, the Hero would return to thwart Ganondorf. So
Ganondorf seeks an experienced Wizard to cast a spell on Hyrule, and shroud it in Dark Magic, so that the Hero and
his Magic of Light cannot return to the world.

Because of the Dark Magic, Hyrule is thrust into deep freeze: winter doesn't stop and springtime doesn't start, and
Hyrule's citizens cannot harvest their crops. They know something must be done about Ganondorf, if Hyrule is to
survive, but everybody is too afraid for their own safety to do anything.

But Ganon's interpertation of the prophecy was mistaken; although the Hero would not return from the dead, a new
Hero has risen, unknown decendent of Link, and he's out to stop Ganondorf. But before he can, he must recover the
forgotten Triforce of Courage, the third piece of the Triforce that Ganon knows nothing of; only with that, can
Link destroy Ganondorf and bring peace back to Hyrule!

Is Link up for the challenge? Find out... play "The Legend of Zelda: Eternal Winter."

Russ
08-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Yay, the demo's released. I can't wait to try it out. And you said your music is not working. I had this same problem. If you are using windows xp, go to the bottom right corner of the screen, and double click the speaker icon. Make sure the sw synth volume is all the way up.

Edit: Nooooooooo. My dang internet security blocked it. my email has been removed from this post due to privacy reasons.

LostInHyru1e
08-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Okay, I sent you the .qst file. I hope you enjoy!

Russ
08-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, I haven't gotten very far do to the fact that I can't find the ladder, but it looks very good. The overworld is nicely done. The islands in the eastern ocean are spaced pretty well. And the sub dungeon near Lake Hylia is pretty good (although the manhandla for a boss may be pushing the diffiulty meter a little too high). But so far I have found a couple of bugs. If you open the overworld map, you can see the title screen in the south. And in the third title screen segment, the like like on the island can eat you. But, it's pretty good. Well done.:thumbsup:

LostInHyru1e
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Okay...

When I actually release the quest, the map won't exist. I didn't even intend for it to be in the Demo, so I guess that's a bug. :) And the dungeon with the Manhandla and Leevers for the boss is meant to be completed much later on in the quest, I just threw it into the demo as an extra. I assume that most people wouldn't be able to beat it until they had about 6 or 7 hearts.

Anyway, if you want to find the ladder, its in Lake Hylia. The screen with the missing bridge, just defeat the enemies on the screen - yes, that includes the pesky peahat - and the bridge will appear, and lead you to the secret island in the middle of Lake Hylia.

The raft that the lady gives you also won't be in the real game; in the Western Mountains, there is a sub-dungeon, in which the prize is a raft; this dungeon is available to play in the Demo Version, yet essentially useless because I give you the raft for free so that you may explore the ocean earlier on in the game. I also believe that there is one empty island in the ocean somewhere.

I was unaware of the Like-Like being able to eat you... I'll get to fixing that soon. :)

Anyway, thank you!

Anarchy_Balsac
08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
You may want to make sure they can't get bombs before the 6th or 7th heart then, because with bombs manhandlas are easy.

LostInHyru1e
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
...Then maybe I should add a few Leevers to make it a bit harder, because you get the bombs right off the bat. :)

Russ
08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I think that the boss of level 1 is too easy. Two red darknuts just don't cut it. You should make them blue and remove the water from the room as you can easily kill darknuts by standing on water with the ladder and hacking away. And the level is supposed to be under a graveyard, so you should and some ghosts.

LostInHyru1e
08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
The water is there just to make it easier... but I'll upgrade them to blue. I think two blue dark nuts in a double-shuttered room with no advantage might be too hard for a newbie with three hearts and the wooden sword. :)

How many dungeons have you found/beaten?

EDIT: What is the name for a ghost? Is "Ghini" a ghost? How would I put ghosts there?

erm2003
08-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Ghini is the ghost you can kill with the sword. Ghini 2 is a ghost that you can see through and can be killed with super bombs only (I think).

Gibdos are mummies - they could be appropriate too.

LostInHyru1e
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes, they would; and Stalfos as well.

Okay, I didn't know what Ghini was... thank you for clarifying that.