PDA

View Full Version : Seeking beta testers soon, anyone up to the task?

Anarchy_Balsac
08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Although not immediate, I will very soon be looking for beta testers for my quest. Any active, challenge oriented members up for the task(I'm looking at you gleeok ;) )? Not giving away plot details or anything just yet, just wanna see if anyone is available for beta testing or not.

Note: If you couldn't get past the crab boss in blaster master, if you couldn't get through the bike level in battletoads, if you never beat life force, this may not be your quest. It's very tough, I suspect even gleeok will take time to master it.

Din
08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Sure, I'll try.

Gleeok
08-14-2007, 02:59 AM
Uh-oh...Sounds tough. I may have to put on my magical wizard hat for this one. :p
It's also good to see some new challenge quests coming out. I know there's at least three being made or finished sometime soon. There's a bunch of people able to test these y'know, it's been slow lately but hopfully once 2.5 comes out there will be a resurgence of them in bunches. ;)

Just what're we talking about here, Blaster master difficulty? That game was a ruthless evil gremlin that dismantled the hope of children across the world. Of course after I turned 11 and beat the damned thing, I gave it away the next day. Never will that game have the last laugh again. Muauauhaha.

PS- I pwned Lifeforce.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-15-2007, 05:12 AM
Well I can't say exactly(one reason why I need beta testers), but I can certainly tell you there are a lot of fights which take a while and require a lot of dodging, because there's plenty of enemy fire in the air.

Gleeok
08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Sure, i'll do it. But chances are if it's too hard for you then it's too hard for others as well, as you know the layouts of you own levels better than anyone else.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-16-2007, 03:46 AM
It's almost done at this point, but I sure hope they fix the amulet 2 thing, since my quest uses it.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Alright the beta's done now. It's only here for beta testers so the story isn't being posted yet. It will be with the finished product though. This is an extremely challenging quest, so don't be afraid to cheat beta testers ;)(You can open it with zquest to find the cheats, it's not passworded). Any reports should probably be done in this thread or to me via PM.

Things I want beta testers reporting to me:

- Legitimate, unintended bugs and anamolies.
- Challenge inconsistancies(was level 10 easier than level 5?).
- Bland, boring stuff that needs to be livened up.
- Feedback on good design, and bad design alike. Did the gameplay style make sufficient use of the superbombs or no? Or was the terrain all wrong? Did the overworld feel like an overworld or just a huge collection of screens, etc.

Things I do NOT want beta testers reporting to me:

- Every single bug no matter how minor. I think we can deal with it if walking left 10 times, then going up, down, up, down, up, down causes a slight visual anamoly. Use common sense when reporting bugs.
- Very minor challenge inconsistencies. I don't care if room 5 in level 11 was slightly easier than room 4(as it is, room to room challenge level flucuates a lot in dungeons), or if zora is easier to evade on some screens than others.
- Good/Bad. By this I don't mean good/bad design. I mean what's good or not good about the game. The reason is this is extremely subjective. Bland is too to an extent, but much less so.
- Known issues, specifically the following:

1. Zoras and shooters sometimes disappear, I do not know how to fix this. You are more than welcome to PM me with a solution, but don't just report it and expect a fix.
2. There are minus worlds, they were intended. If you encounter a bug in the minus world don't report it, just stay out of the minus world.
3. It is possible to get into level 13 from level 12. This is intended and is a reference to the "huge hidden world" above ridley's hideout in metroid. Which was actually the rooms of regular norfair.
4. There are some graphical anamolies intentionally left in the game, make sure they aren't a hint at a secret before reporting them.
5. Certain gohmas in level 5 don't make the sound effect they usually do, but rather are silent. I don't know how I would fix this, but it's not too serious a bug either.
6. You warp to an unwalkable tile in the boss room of level 6. This was to prevent worse problems. You can use your hookshot to get off of it.
7. Certain damage tiles in the boss room of level 8 disappear while the lens is active. Unfortunately due to the functionality of the lens it is not fixable. However, they were at least left in an easily memorized pattern.
8. Wealth medal 2 and 3 were not placed in the game due to an oversight, I fixed this.
9. Maps display wrong in some rooms, this is just a side effect of using DMAPS for strings.
10. Last minute slip up allowed a super bomb to be gotten before level 10. Replaced with red medicine.
11. Bug with lock blocks on middle-right room of level 11 center causes the tiles they change to partially not to act like water, despite classification as such.
12. The design of level 11 made it easier than intended. This was fixed by removing the exit at the start. In the final, you will have to beat the level to leave it. This is so that you can not get a red medicine, get the boss key, unlock boss lock blocks in center-right room, then leave to get another red potion before comming back. You are more than welcome to do so while beta testing though ;).
13. Monsters start bugging in level 11 after you warp to center platform out of the water. Dunno how to fix this but it's pretty minor considering that things revert to normal after you quickly warp to the boss area(there's a trick to easily evading the octorocks there anyway, so it barely, if at all effects the difficulty).
14. Impossible to avoid taking damage at times against the gohma 5 in level 13, fixed.
15. Possible to get to level 14 boss room from level 12 boss room. It isn't really a bug but rather a result of using instant death combos instead of walls on the perimeter of the room. In the final, it will no longer be possible to warp and kill the level 14 boss this way.

- Fixed bugs(Note that these were fixed after this was posted, and are fixed for the final version, they are not fixed in the beta version), check these before reporting:

1. Gohma in level 3 makes a gasp sound in addition to his normal one, this has been fixed.

2. Boss of level 3 always returned, fixed.

3. End room of level 3 was impossible to exit. This was actually an oversight as there was originally a triforce piece there, which would have taken you outside. This is now fixed. For now, just use the go to function of cheat level 4 to get back outside.

4. Dying in level 4 got you stuck in a wall, fixed.

5. Map in level 4 displayed first 2 rooms slightly wrong, fixed.

6. Not really a bug, but the heart container in the level 4 boss room was over the exit stairs, moved to upper right corner instead.

7. Player exits level 4 key room out level 5 entrance, fixed.

8. Player could not get the magic sword after level 4 due to the whistle being triforce peice dependant instead of dungeon boss dependant. I fixed this by using Whistle->dry lake in screen 3E. For some reason there are no visual effects, or sound effects to confirm you can walk through the water this way, but at least you can cross the lake this way. If anyone knows how to make this a little better please post it. For now, just use the no walls cheat to get there.

9. You get stuck in the upper left corner of the key room of level 5 after killing the boss, this is now fixed.

10. You can't escape level 7 after the boss is dead, this is now fixed, the room after the boss has an exit.

11. Compass location on level 8 was left 00, fixed.

12. Going to screen 75 in level 9 forces the player to get hit by a patra, now fixed by a side warp.

13. Heart container after level 9 boss did not appear, moved it to screen before the boss room.

14. Dying in level 9 boss room got you stuck in a wall, fixed.

15. Dying on level 10 boss got you stuck in a wall, fixed.

16. Can not exit the secret level from entrance, fixed.

17. Heart container on screen 3B was not gettable, it's fixed now. While beta testing just give yourself another heart container after beating and exiting level 10.

18. Various misaligns in the overworld, fixed.(-thanks to gleeok)

19. Super bomb shop in the graveyard did not appear, fixed.

20. Room 45 of level 13 has a damage combo that does not disappear when the enemies die, and blocks the room's exit. This is fixed.

21. Possible to go back to level 5 after getting the flippers and swim off the map. This is now fixed.

22. Dying in the level 13 boss room got you stuck in a wall, fixed.

23. Oversight on room 52 of level 15, all damage combos were supposed to disappear upon the death of the gohma 6, they did not, they do now.

Also, if you have any reasonable suggestions, don't be afraid to send them to me. I won't neccesarily follow it, but if it's good I'll at least follow it's direction.

You can download it now here:

http://www.zeldaclassicforum.com/showthread.php?p=52745#post52745

Note: You can send PMs or post replies on either forum.

ms_zelda_lady
08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
You might want to reconsider where you've hosted your quest file. Downloading some kind of technology file in order to download a zip file is crazy.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I was half-thinking about just tearing down the link altogether and just doing the via e-mail thing for now until the final version anyway. So for now, just pm me to e-mail it to you. You have to type out your e-mail address as the forum feature just sends a direct message(it seems) and doesn't allow attachments.

The new link should work just fine though ;).

Gleeok
08-23-2007, 02:37 AM
I demand to know your total death count and if you've beaten this or not without cheats.

I also demand to know locations of blue ring, raft, and extra heart containers for use in lv 4.

I also demand one million dollars in unmarked bills or the princess gets it.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Blue ring is in that lake you cross on the top left of the map. There's also heart containers there(2 of them). Oh and you go to can also go to the bottom left of the map to get the step ladder, which allows you to get the heart container to the right on the scren you started on. But yeah, it's extremely hard. I knew you'd like it ;). The raft should have been at the end of level 3. Let me check and see something.

Okay I checked it. There is in fact supposed to be some stairs in the top right corner of the boss room in level 3 after it dies/they die. You take those stairs and you get the raft. Go back and make sure the stair appear, they did for me. Also I fixed the last room with the key in it. Sorry there was originally a triforce peice there. But it seems the level 9 entrance didn't work properly in level 15 so I replaced it with a key, but forgot that there wouldn't be a way out. Just use cheat level 4 and go to DMAP 0 screen 06 for now.

gamer07
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
If i'm not banned then yes i'll play it for you i'm pro at finding bugs and junk.

Gleeok
08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
How the hell is anybody supposed to beat lv6? Also wondering if anyone has made it that far yet. And where the heck can I get a potion shop. There's no way anyone can proceed farther than where i'm at without access to red potions. Seriously.

Also it seems that there are "extra" levels that aren't done yet so there's some continue bugs there, but I won't really post them.

I do have one question. Well two:
Have you played armageddon quest?
Was it your goal to make the hardest ZC quest ever made? Because if it continues to get harder up to lv 15, then you may have succeeded. Did I mention this is the most whacked out quest i've ever played.

PS-There are no "boss" type enemies...isn't that a bit much?!?

Anarchy_Balsac
08-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Which continue bugs where? If you mean that you can continue in the boss rooms it's not a bug. I did that on purpose. You deserve to be rewarded for at least getting to the boss. The "extra" levels were just 1-2 room DMAPS that are part of the level, not really extra levels(used either for 1 time strings, or to do something unique from "passageway" warps, the red ring room noticably works as a custom item room). But there is a secret level, albiet, it's way harder than level 15, but you get din's fire, the boots, and the slash after the boss.

Potion shop? It's one screen to the right of level 3 silly. It's not even secret. You don't need the letter.

For the record, this is meant to take even hardcore challenge oriented players such as myself and you a long time to master. It's supposed to be something we can actually feel good about beating, and not just be like, "well that was fun, now what do I do?". You're doing pretty good if you're already in level 6. But, you did go get the magic sword right? Cus if you didn't, you should. You were supposed to get to it via a whistle warp but it seems I had to put a fix in since in the posted version you can't get to it. Just use cheat level 4 and wall walk accross the water to get to the passage on screen 3F of the overworld.

Armageddon no? Hardest quest goal? Well no, but I won't complain if I win it. And yeah. there's no enemies labeled "boss" in the enemy editor, because I wanted gohmas, gleeoks and the like to respawn.

Oh and BTW, do NOT miss the tile warp in the boss room of level 6, unless you don't really want the red ring that is.

Gleeok
08-27-2007, 04:17 AM
Well let me rephrase that;
How the hell is anyone supposed to beat lv.6 with the white sword and no potion?! ...the answer; you can't, it's friggin impossibe.
I'll PM you the bugs after a bit, but a suggestion: I completely forgot where the heck stuff is (potoin shop) as the overworld is like a mass of screens where you have access to pretty much most of it early in the game...maybe enable veiw map for the overworld?

I'm still wondering if anyone is past lv6 or not.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Well let me rephrase that;
How the hell is anyone supposed to beat lv.6 with the white sword and no potion?! ...the answer; you can't, it's friggin impossibe.
I'll PM you the bugs after a bit, but a suggestion: I completely forgot where the heck stuff is (potoin shop) as the overworld is like a mass of screens where you have access to pretty much most of it early in the game...maybe enable veiw map for the overworld?

I'm still wondering if anyone is past lv6 or not.

The funny thing, I had it. But in 509, it requires a subscreen edit(which I was not aware of at the time of releasing the beta, though I was aware the rule was gone). The rule I had checked for it was changed to unused. I can see making the change though. But judging from your post I'll probably add more to it, like potion icons outside the potion shop(screen 07 BTW, between level 3 and 6, behind the red gohma and its tektite buddies) and maybe even another map bitmap file, but one detailing non-level locations that you'll want to visit, such as the potion shop.

As for level 6, just use the go to function to get to screen 3F then wall walk to the cave. In the version you downloaded it's inaccessable so you have to cheat to get there and thus, get the magic sword. You aren't really supposed to attempt it with the white sword and no potions(the same was true of level 5, but I'm not surprized you beat it anyway).

Also, be absolutely sure to triple check the fixed bugs and known issues list before sending me the bugs.

Gleeok
08-28-2007, 01:49 AM
*Attention K-mart shoppers*

Clean-up on cracktorocks in isle three,
also we're having a special on damage combos, buy 1 get 278 free. [Just don't walk down THAT isle] :p

So I have now beaten lv6 and 7. Is there anything I should get for 8 or 9?

-bugs lv6 warp after boss
-lv6 damage combos too close to edge of screen, ie freeform dungeons... and through no fault of the player, they have died. :shakeno:

Anarchy_Balsac
08-28-2007, 03:10 AM
So I have now beaten lv6 and 7. Is there anything I should get for 8 or 9?

There's some rocks you can pound near the shallow lakes. Though nothing big except wealth medal 1. But after level 8 you'll want to go diving to see what you can find.

-bugs lv6 warp after boss

The exit warp, the warp to the red ring room, or the warp back to the boss room from the red ring room? And how do these bug?

-lv6 damage combos too close to edge of screen, ie freeform dungeons... and through no fault of the player, they have died. :shakeno:

Of course it's their fault, they crossed the screen on the wrong spot ;). Most of that is fixable by not back tracking, but basically yeah, I wanted some nasty surprizes like that, but it doesn't happen too often(unless you backtrack where you know you shouldn't be). You'll want to learn how to enter the 4th room of level 12 though.

Gleeok
08-31-2007, 03:46 AM
OK, I just beat lv 8 and 9, and somehow made it through 10. (death count increasing :( )

Suggestions: Uhh...it's a little on the hard side...
Nobody's going to be able to beat this...including me, if it doesn't drop off at all in difficulty. Umm...at LEAST give people more money for potions...there going to need it.

So lv 11 and 12 don't get that much harder, ..right?!

Anarchy_Balsac
08-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Well there are plenty of places where diving gets you 20 rupees and such. But if you're having trouble with potion money, do this:

Buy potion
Enter level
Save
If you use a potion and die before the boss room, reset.

It's what I do. But yes, level 11 and 12 get harder. It has a learning curve, but that doesn't mean one should give up. You want it to be something you can feel good about beating, not something that you just beat and be like, "well now what do I do?".

If you have trouble finding level 11, note that it's in level 5 and requires the flippers.

Gleeok
09-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Alright question for you; since 2.5 isn't being released next week, would you prefer I use cheats and go through the rest of the game for bugtesting, or play it out normally. This might not be done by next week either, as it seems to be getting harder. I am currently at the lv 11 boss atm....very difficult. I can mostly evade his attacks, but the zora's and the spikes take their toll. Also very annoying that every fourth arrow or so results in getting hit anyway due to link being a slow dumbass...The knockback bug was fixed, so maybe i'll try it in 579.

Anarchy_Balsac
09-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Alright question for you; since 2.5 isn't being released next week, would you prefer I use cheats and go through the rest of the game for bugtesting, or play it out normally. This might not be done by next week either, as it seems to be getting harder. I am currently at the lv 11 boss atm....very difficult. I can mostly evade his attacks, but the zora's and the spikes take their toll. Also very annoying that every fourth arrow or so results in getting hit anyway due to link being a slow dumbass...The knockback bug was fixed, so maybe i'll try it in 579.

Whichever your preference, long as the job gets done(but you'll probably need cheats for the secret level, not sure anyone will ever beat that one without cheats). But here's a little help for beating that boss(who is indeed very hard, but the good news is only the secret level's boss is harder, so the later bosses will be easier), change your longitude and your latitude. A good example walk path is:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/Altsavatar/zelda004-2.jpg

But that's just an example to give you an idea. Don't follow it like clockwork because the randomness of the zoras won't permit it. Just basically keep moving your X and Y coordinates and get a shot in when his eye is open and he's firing an evadable pattern. You also have to just briefly press up and quickly move back to the side. It's still tough, but at least possible to hit him every time without being hit if you do it that way.

He requires 16 hits, but the good news is you get the black arrow(golden arrow). And believe me, killing him without cheats is quite exhilerating.

Gleeok
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Isn't the invisible prism boss the last boss? How do I get to the real final boss then?

Anarchy_Balsac
09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
That should be him, yes. The only way to get to him, is to go through all 40 rooms of level 15. Is there a part where you are blocked from progressing?

Gleeok
10-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Seriously dude, your crazy with the damn damage combos. I don't think anyone that does not know how to abuse overpowered weapons like the hookshot and boomerang will ever beat lv13. You almost have to get lucky with enemy spawns to even chance avoiding damage in some rooms. Anyway 3 weeks and 100 retry's later i'm in lv14......it's good that you can't give enemies more than 999 hit points, otherwise i'm sure you would.....

Anarchy_Balsac
10-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah I wanted to give overpowered weapons and make it hard at the same time. So I pretty much had to force the player to use their damage avoiding properties and such. Level 13 was meant to be easier than level 12, albiet only slightly(because you just got the gold ring). And it is in fact impossible to avoid damage at times in certain rooms there, which I did not intend, but that's all been fixed. Level 14 is fun. Did you notice the lip-o-suctions?

Gleeok
10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, that's it. I can't beat lv14. It's too much having to spend 5 min killing those wizzrobes in the first room every time you die. Maybe i'll go straight to 15, 'cause there's no way i'm playing 14 again.

Anarchy_Balsac
10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
15 is worse. Way, way worse. It doesn't have a wizzrobe slaughter room at the beginning, but it's worse. BTW, you need the L2 power bracelet from the end of level 14 to get inside.

You don't have to kill any wizzrobes in the secret level though, which is located 2 screens above level 1 and requires a superbomb.