PDA

View Full Version : God damnit. Half life 2's ending sucked. Discuss.

punkonjunk1024
08-11-2007, 07:20 AM
OK, bazillions of questions unanswered.
What the hell are the combine?
What the hell is going on in the backround?
Who are the benefactors? Is this some implied other-dimensional stupidass shit? Or Xenfags?

Alright. So I didn't play ep1-3 or lost coast, but I might. Should I? Would it provide any additional story info?
Is a sequel planned?

And dear god... was this game anti-climactic. That whole gravity gun thing just kinda ruined it. I thought it was a just-for-fun thing, not the final heading in the game. I thought I'd go through the portal or something...
Half life and half life 2 are the absolute best FPS's I've ever played. They truly define the genre, and I do not understand why some faggot would want to play shitty FPS's like halo and the tons of other drab, exactly the same FPS games.

But man, did this game lack some ending material. And answers.

So you know, plot analysis, ect. Any answers I missed.

Also, do any of the other ones (besides coast, which I started for a sec, and seems to star freeman) build on freeman's story, G-man, or the backround of the benefactors and breen?

ShadowTiger
08-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Here's my take on things. Note that they are not answers, but opinions. .. obviously.

What the hell are the combine?I think that they're some sort of hybrid between human and .. something. Possibly human and the aliens from the portal, though I'm tempted to doubt that yet try to confirm it at the same time. o.o' They're employed under Dr. Breen's control to keep City 17 in order.

What the hell is going on in the background?Take a look at what Dr. Breen is trying to do. His speech when you reach his tower gives quite a bit of information away to you. Although, define background, please...

Who are the benefactors? Is this some implied other-dimensional stupidass shit?I think Dr. Breen may have been pulling citizens from Xen out to be modified or something, and the Xenites have been fighting back, so they're helping "The Gordon Freeman" to stop him. A good cause, if you ask me. Those Xenites are pretty damn handy.

Or Xenfags?.. WTF?

Alright. So I didn't play ep1-3 or lost coast,I've played Episode 1, (Very nice. A bit scarier than the first game.) but I had no idea the second two episodes were out. I really don't think that they are though. :shrug: Are they? And what is Lost Coast?

gdorf
08-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Play episode one. It continues the story.

biggiy05
08-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Play episode one. It continues the story.

++

They aren't done with it yet. The story will continue it's just a matter of when they are going to release episode two. I haven't heard anything about it either.

rock_nog
08-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Okay - the Combine is a race of imperialistic aliens from another dimension (the benefactors are just another name for them). Breen is their lackey representative here on Earth. As it turns out, they had conquered Xen, too. The aliens from the original Half-Life weren't evil, they were slaves to the Combine. The portal experiments from the original Half-Life had attracted the Combine's attention, and it's heavily implied that Breen made a deal with them, and that the experiment at the beginning which opened the portals was deliberately tampered with by Breen in order to create the portals and allow the Combine to invade.

After Half-Life, the Combine created their own portals to Earth, and after a portal storm that led to places being overrun by headcrabs and the like, the Combine invaded and world powers fell within seven hours. Breen was then appointed to his current position as representative for the Combine.

One major theory about the G-Man is that he's working for a group of rebel aliens who want to overthrow the Combine (but no one can say for sure).

gdorf
08-11-2007, 05:04 PM
In the meantime, check out The half life saga story guide (http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/faq.htm). Its an interesting read that points out many details you probably missed.

Darth Marsden
08-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Half-Life 2 didn't have an ending. It just stopped. I don't like games that do that. I don't like them ever!*

You asked questions. Let's answer them as best as is humanly possible, and then let's insult everyone else for saying anything different. Y'know, like everyone always does on the interweb. Onward!

"What the hell are the Combine?" - For this, I shall summarize the blurb found upon Wikipedia's rather excellent page upon the subject. Sadly, it proves rock_nog slightly wrong, but I'm sure he doesn't mind. Not that I care.

The Combine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combine_%28Half-Life_2%29) is a vast empire spanning multiple parallel universes, which expands its empire by conquering and enslaving populated worlds. By genetically altering the most intelligent races, the Combine (Pronounced COM-bine, with the emphasis on the first part of the word) create advanced soldiers adapted for individual worlds, allowing for the easy destruction of rebellion factions.

Prior to conquering Earth, the Combine had previously tried to enslave the as-yet un-named race which human beings refer to as the Xen race. This race were defeated by the Combine on an entirely different world to Xen, but managed to flee to their final retreat - a dimensional transit bottleneck, or an area of continual contention. This area, which subsequently 'bled' into our dimension, was known as Xen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28Half-Life%29).

Following the death of the supreme being of this race, known as Nihilanth, at the hands of Gordon Freeman, the Combine were able to use the massive portal storm to invade Earth. This resulted in what has since come to be known as the Seven Hour War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Hour_War). Dr Wallace Breen, the former administrator of the Black Mesa Research Facility, was able to negotiate a surrender on Earth's behalf, and as a result was appointed administrator of the Combine's forces on Earth – also known as the Overwatch.

"What the hell is going on in the background?" - I'm not sure what you mean by this one. If you mean the background of the game, then essentially Gordon Freeman, having 'arrived' in City 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_17) and subsequently going on to destroy countless Combine forces, inspires many of the City's remaining inhabitants to rise up against their oppressors, while the Combine try to track Freeman down and kill him.

"Who are the benefactors? Is this some implied other-dimensional stupid ass shit? Or Xenfags?" - The benefactors are the Combine. That's just what Dr Breen calls them. Interestingly, he only properly refers to them as 'The Combine' once, near the end of the game. There are a couple of theories behind this - either that's what he really thinks of them and can't be bothered to hide his feelings anymore, or it's just a slip of the tongue caused by the heat of the moment.

"Alright. So I didn't play ep1-3 or lost coast, but I might. Should I? Would it provide any additional story info? Is a sequel planned?" - Yes, you should. Just remember what they are - short. Lost Coast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Lost_Coast) gives you nothing plot-wise, it's just a setting they cut out during development and then subsequently felt would be a good place to try out HDR lighting while giving fans a bit more HL2. Episodes I, II and III, once finished (only Episode I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Episode_One) is currently out. Episode II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Episode_Two)'s release date has slipped to around the end of the year. Don't even ask about Episode III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Episode_Three)), should reveal a whole lot more plot.

As for sequels, well. These HL2 Episodes as, essentially, Half-Life 3. Gabe Newell, uber-god regarding all things Half-Life, has admitted that a more correct title for these episodes should have been 'Half-Life 3: Episode One', etc, but whatever. A proper Half-Life 3 does seem likely, however nothing's been confirmed. There will be an Episode IV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_Life_2:_Episode_Four), but it'll be developed outside of Valve and will start a new story arc, so if there's going to be a proper sequel, chances are Valve will start work on it after Half-Life 2 Episode III - Not inspired by Star Wars.

"Not actually a question, but what the hell is up with that ending?" - It's not an ending. Half-Life 2 didn't have one. It just stopped. However, before it did that, a couple of things happened, which I shall now point out to you in a manner making me feel incredibly superior to you. Since there are spoilers, I'll use the appropriate tags.

-=SPOILER=-

*I've just finished re-reading the entire archive of 8-Bit Theater. My brain-meats will not recover for days. Days, I tell you! DAYS! And I was just on the way top slaughtering an entire planet full of Jedi. Alas, it shall have to wait until I've watched a couple of episodes of Frasier. Now that's using the old noodle, which is surprising, given that I can't for reasons I have already divulged in my previous utterance. Or something. Also, I notice that rock_nig is viewing this thread at the same time as me. If he posts before I do, I will end him. That is all.

punkonjunk1024
08-11-2007, 07:23 PM
OK, I'm not done reading everything, but to clarify, when I said backround, I meant G-man's existance, what he's doing, and gordons' "higher purpose"

EDIT
OK.
Somehow I got the idea there was an episode 1-3 already finished. I guess not.

I completely agree with the "no ending" thing on half life 2. I mean, there could have been some kind of big fight in the game... but it was pretty much dry of bosses, and didn't have much of a finale. Woo super gravity gun woooooo game over. I thought I got the bad ending by accident or something.

Thanks for all the info, that one site someone linked to is very helpful. Looks like I should play all those half life 1 things too. Opposing force and blue shift and stuff.

Man.. I wish all of this would come together faster. This is almost as bad as golden sun.

EDIT
Holy crap do I want Episode one now! Man, I wish there were cracks for steam games. Oh well. I'll have 10 bucks eventually.

Darth Marsden
08-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Ah. Well, then I can't really help you. No-one knows who the G-Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Man_%28Half-Life%29) is. That's probably not even his name. There are theories, but nothing's been confirmed. I like the one that he's a member of an incredibly ancient race, older then the Combine, who seek their destruction, and who realizes that Gordon is the one who can do that. One thing is for certain - he is NOT Gordon from the future. Totally.

Opposing Force and Blue Shift don't really add much to the general plot - they're more side-stories that happen to occur during the Black Mesa incident. You should still give them a go if you haven't, they're great fun, just don't expect any mind-blowing revelations.

PM me about a steam-less version of HL2. Y'know, if you're interested.
If you own the HL2 DVD like I do, then technically it's not illegal. Kinda.

AlexMax
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
It's quite simple, really. Half Life 2 is the matrix, and Gordon Freeman is the One.

Masamune
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
If I remember correctly, he has never actually been addressed as g-man. But gman is what's he's called in half life's deathmatch mode.

Darth Marsden
08-13-2007, 03:46 AM
It's also the filename of the model - gman.mdl - which is where the name came from. Some people thought it was short for 'Government Man', but the events of HL2 kinda disprove that. Truth is, we just don't know.

Grasshopper
08-13-2007, 08:23 AM
He's called Gman in the first game because he looks like a government official. And yes, it most likely is short for "Government Man". Of course thats not his name. He never had a name, but thats what Valve calls him, thats what his model name is called, so therefore everyone calls him that. I don't think there is any hidden meaning behind it. Much like the security guard being called Barney. He never had a name either, but his model was Barney, so people referred to him as that, even though every security guard looked the same. They're all Barney. Anyway, just because he doesn't work for the government, and isn't even human, that doesn't mean we can't call him G-Man. It doesn't have a meaning, and probably never meant to have one, but if Valve is content on calling him by that alias, I am to. So I don't see any reason to form theories about it when isn't anything to form it from.

Glenn the Great
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
There is only one time when a Half-Life character refers to the G-Man by that name. The instruction manual for Opposing Force contains a journal written by the player character for that game, Adrian Shephard. In it, he says that he's seen the Gman around the base, and muses that he might be a "G-Man", which is military slang for a Government Man.

Thus far, the only characters known to have come into contact with G-Man are Gordon, Adrian, and strangely, Odessa Cubbage. However, it appears that Alyx is going to come into contact with the G-Man in Episode Two.

A big point of interest that I want to see revealed is the fate of Dr. Breen. Episode One made a very bold and also somewhat subtle hint that -=SPOILER=-

punkonjunk1024
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the only Gman sighting I caught in HL2 was the one where he was talking to cubbage (and I was like WTF I thought he was invisables?)

Hey, is there any information on how long the half life series is going to be?

Glenn the Great
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey, is there any information on how long the half life series is going to be?

There is definitely going to be an Episode Three. That's been known since Episode One was announced, as the three episodes are supposed to be a trilogy of a story arc.

It has also been said that a 3rd party will be creating a 4th episode after that (in a similar manner to how Gearbox made Op4 and BlueShift,) and that it will begin a new story arc. Details are limited on this, however.

As far as what the main company of Valve does afterwards, they have stated many times that they want to wait until Episode Three has been shipped so that they can stand back and observe before deciding on a next move. The episodic trilogy is an experiment for them, and they want to finish the experiment first.

But they did mention that they would really like to do more titles that chronicle the experiences of other characters (like Op4 and BlueShift did), and they said they'd really like to go back and tell more of Adrian's story.

Darth Marsden
08-15-2007, 10:06 AM
So, basically what I said regarding sequels. Love the repetition in this thread.

Personally, I think the episodic thing doesn't work for FPS games, especially if you have to wait nearly a year for a few hours of gameplay. Adventure games, yeah - Sam & Max was a clear example of just how well the system could work if designed and managed properly. But for an action-adventure game, the format doesn't lend itself too well.

Grasshopper
08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, I don't really think Valve intended it to be that long a wait between each one. I haven't played the first episode, and I'm glad, because its taking way to long for the 2nd to come out, and I can get the whole package in the orange box. Episode 1 came out in June 2006, and here it is almost 15 months later and Episode 2 won't be out until October. Last year, they said Ep 3 was suppose be finished by the end of 2007.

I thought the whole point in episodic content was to make it easier on the developer to deliver a smaller package to players every few months, instead of spending years on a game that wouldn't last long enough to compensate for the effort put in them and in the end not cost as much to produce.

Darth Marsden
08-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Again, see the new Sam & Max games. They worked because the new content was limited and could be done within a month. It's difficult to essentially create a whole new FPS within a year, no matter how short that FPS is. You've got new maps, models, voices, coding... it takes a long time, and I think Valve were kidding themselves when they gave us those predictions. Ask any mod team and they will tell you it takes an age to get even one map up to professional standards.

As I say, if used properly, say in adventure games, then episodic gaming can work a treat. Just don't try to do it with an action game, or it won't work anywhere near as well. I'm still waiting for the second SiN Episodes... :p

Grasshopper
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM
It's difficult to essentially create a whole new FPS within a year, no matter how short that FPS is. You've got new maps, models, voices, coding... it takes a long time, So other types of games don't involve maps, models, voices? I've never played Sam & Max, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. But I would assume, regardless of it being a FPS or another genre, developers will still have to create new content for each new episode. Any type of game that is turned into episodic content will probably face the same issues, it doesn't necessarily have to be an FPS, unless they do what TV series do, by developing all episodes at once, then shipping them in intervals.

gdorf
08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
The reason Episode two is taking so long is that Valve intends it as a technological demo as well as a new leg of the story. I believe episode two will contain both the portal gun and threaded gaming for multi-core systems. It'll be worth the wait. :)

Glenn the Great
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Some more unmentioned things that are causing the delay:

-We aren't waiting for just Episode Two, but also two other games being released by Valve simultaneously in one package (Portal and Team Fortress 2)

-A big reason is that this game is seeing a simultaneous multi-platform release. I heard that Episode Two's PC version was done several months ago, and the delay is to wait on the damn XBox360 and PS3 versions.

biggiy05
08-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Some more unmentioned things that are causing the delay:

-We aren't waiting for just Episode Two, but also two other games being released by Valve simultaneously in one package (Portal and Team Fortress 2)

-A big reason is that this game is seeing a simultaneous multi-platform release. I heard that Episode Two's PC version was done several months ago, and the delay is to wait on the damn XBox360 and PS3 versions.

Fuck the console versions of HL I want episode two out now. Seriously why do we need to wait for them to port it to consoles? They haven't done that in the past so why start now?

Darth Marsden
08-16-2007, 03:45 AM
So other types of games don't involve maps, models, voices? I've never played Sam & Max, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. But I would assume, regardless of it being a FPS or another genre, developers will still have to create new content for each new episode. Any type of game that is turned into episodic content will probably face the same issues, it doesn't necessarily have to be an FPS, unless they do what TV series do, by developing all episodes at once, then shipping them in intervals.
I'm not saying that other types of games don't have new stuff, but with action games, there's a lot more of this stuff. Sam & Max (which you really should try, it's hilarious) worked because the amount of new stuff per episode could be managed within a month. Half-Life 2 doesn't work because there's so much they need to do.

I doubt we're waiting for them to port Ep2 to consoles. More likely is that they're still working on Portal and Team Fortress 2. Since I don't do multi-player games, I don't particularly like that trade-off.

Glenn the Great
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, I'm interested in Portal because it's a single player game that is set in the HL universe and it's events will tie into Episode Two.

Darth Marsden
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh yeah, they said it would, didn't they? Funny how I forgot about that. Wonder how they'll do it?

Glenn the Great
08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah, they said it would, didn't they? Funny how I forgot about that. Wonder how they'll do it?

I've heard speculation that you might find the Aperture Science labs (the setting of Portal) in the Arctic towards the end of the game. No one really knows though.

DarkDragoonX
08-17-2007, 12:02 AM
I've long theorized that at the end of the Half-Life series it will be revealed that the butler was behind it all along.

DarkDeath
08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
OK, bazillions of questions unanswered.
What the hell are the combine?
What the hell is going on in the backround?
Who are the benefactors? Is this some implied other-dimensional stupidass shit? Or Xenfags?

Alright. So I didn't play ep1-3 or lost coast, but I might. Should I? Would it provide any additional story info?
Is a sequel planned?

And dear god... was this game anti-climactic. That whole gravity gun thing just kinda ruined it. I thought it was a just-for-fun thing, not the final heading in the game. I thought I'd go through the portal or something...
Half life and half life 2 are the absolute best FPS's I've ever played. They truly define the genre, and I do not understand why some faggot would want to play shitty FPS's like halo and the tons of other drab, exactly the same FPS games.

But man, did this game lack some ending material. And answers.

So you know, plot analysis, ect. Any answers I missed.

Also, do any of the other ones (besides coast, which I started for a sec, and seems to star freeman) build on freeman's story, G-man, or the backround of the benefactors and breen?

You want to know the answer? Play the episodic games thats why they are being made for story connection to 3!

Darth Marsden
08-22-2007, 05:09 AM
1) The episodic games ARE Half-Life 3.
2) Even if he does play the Episodic games, there's no guarantee that they'll have all the answers.
3) The Episodic games are being made to make Valve money.
4) Don't bump topics like this unless you honestly have something new to add to the conversation. In fact, just don't bump old topics, period. n00b.
5) You sig is irritating. Loose the smilies.

biggiy05
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
1)POJ never understands things so that's why he always asks so many questions and then asks more after someone explains something.
2)It wasn't an old topic. It's not even a week old but the post didn't help much.
3)Yes for the love of the sandwich that I'm about to fix please lose the smilies. Not everyone is 12 and thinks it's cool.

Darth Marsden
08-23-2007, 04:10 AM
1) Asking questions isn't a bad thing - it's how we learn.
2) If no-one posts anything for a week, I ask why. In this case, it's because there wasn't anything to add to the 'conversation'. DarkDeath's post, while handy in reviving an old topic, is ultimately pointless and I called it out as such.
3) What was in your sandwich? Was it good? I had a cheese and marmite sammich yesterday, it was yummy.

gamer07
08-23-2007, 01:28 PM
I never new the deal in the first place tell I heard it from a old man.

punkonjunk1024
08-24-2007, 04:53 AM
1)POJ never understands things so that's why he always asks so many questions and then asks more after someone explains something.

I find that very offensive. This topic showed me a lot of information without spoiling too much, and gave me a place to start from.

Honestly, do you really feel that's mature, or welcome in any way? If you have negative feelings for me, please keep it to yourself, or like the rest of the boards, throw them at me in cute little negative rep form.

Darth Marsden
08-24-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic, like most of us are here. It's hard to tell sometimes though.

Honestly, you want to ignore stuff like that. Ask as many questions as you want - I, and others, will be happy to answer you. Unless you ask really stupid or obvious questions, then we'll just mock you. But that goes without saying, really.

punkonjunk1024
08-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Well, I "purchased" and played through half life 2 ep one.
I was sorely dissapointed, but it helped explain alot. I really wish they had added even a few more hours of gameplay so it didn't feel so much like a fraction of a game. I know they're all part of HL3, but seriously.... that was so, so short.

Darth Marsden
08-26-2007, 02:32 AM
I know. I got through it in an afternoon, and official or not, you never want a game to last that long, especially when you've had to wait so long for it. Here's hoping that Episode Two will be longer. Still, even if it isn't, it does come with Portal, which should keep us going for a while.

Glenn the Great
08-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Wow, I just watched a brand new preview video of Episode Two that was put on Gametrailers the other day.

Warning that it is very spoiler-ish, as it involves -=SPOILER=-

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23927.html

biggiy05
08-26-2007, 11:04 AM
I want it now.....

I think I'm gonna go play through HL2 again or Doom 3. I'm in the mood for a shooter but don't have any money to buy a new one right now.

Darth Marsden
08-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Doom 3 is straight-up run and gun, while Half-Life 2 is more think before you shoot. Both good games, but different types for different moods. If you just wanna kill stuff, as I suspect you may be, I'd recommend D3, provided your system can run the thing (mine can, albeit at a low resolution. Bleh).

Awesome video. Release the bugger already!

punkonjunk1024
08-26-2007, 02:32 PM
You know what pisses me off? No fucking true bosses since nihilanth. I mean, seriously, it's videogame standard to pretty much have one, not to mention that it's not horribly illogical that an advisor or something would have some rediculously costly and hard to produce weapon with only a few, maybe one per citadel that would try to take you on.

I am pretty distraught that the conclusion of HL2 was destroying that stupid portal (which wasn't hard when you have 200 fucking armor, you'd have to be a jackass for that to even be much of a challenge) and HL2EP1 was taking down a stupid strider in somewhat uncomfortable circumstances.

I dunno. I hope 2 and 3 are mountingly more grand. I guess that would make sense for it to be, anyhow.

Darth Marsden
08-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Y'know, if you cross out double negatives, you get 'not to mention that it's horribly logical that'...

But yeah, I know what you mean. However, if you play the original Max Payne, I think that's the perfect end-boss. Yes, there's a ruddy great chopper you have to take down. But do you kill it with continuous gunfire No, you swat it down with the aerial mast. Challenging, but logical. Me likey. But in Half-Life 2, you don't really get a boss. A part of me actually likes that. 'This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper', as is said. You just have to stop Breen, which you do. Right?

As for Ep1, I've never liked destroying Striders or Gunships, because they fall back into the old 'shoot them until they fall down' category. Controlling the rockets is always fun (except when they keep getting shot down, grr), but it just feels sort-of routine. But that's just me, I guess.

The next episodes should be on a more epic scale. Ep1 was dealing with the fallout, Ep2 is escaping to the countryside and Ep3... well, I've no idea, but it's bound to be interesting. We're moving away from City17, so at the very least we'll get different locations, which'll be good.