PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite things/parts on/about Amusement Rides?

MotleyCrueFan
08-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Meaning RollerCoasters, water rides, Shoot you up and/or down rides, spinning rides, twirling rides, slow rides, theater and/or show rides.

My favorite things about water rides is for me anyways I can build my confidence in God and his son and The Holy Spirit and when I go for the big drop I love to get wet!

I like RollerCoasters but I haven't been on an official RollerCoaster yet but what I do like about RollerCoasters is that some go upside down and those RollerCoasters that go upside down attract me nowadays.

My heart is leading me to go onto an upside down rollercoaster for the first time.

When I go I know I'll love and who knows I just may sing/attempt to sing a song while on the ride maybe or maybe not.

ShadowTiger
08-11-2007, 12:34 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7f/240px-Zipperride.jpg
The Zipper.

The Zipper is my favorite amusement park ride next to just about any rollercoaster. It gives you quite a bit of motion for what it consists of. There's a constant hope that you'll go upside down, and, when you do go upside down, there blossoms to life a new hope that you'll go upside down twice consecutively. Very fun.

I used to be incredibly afraid of these intense rides, but I decided to suck it up and try the Boomerang at Great Adventure in Upstate New York. (Actually I have no idea which park it was nor where it was. :p I just remember its name.) It was a bluish coaster which would start you off by pulling the cars all the way back up this long slanted track, then releasing you, which would shoot you up a loop, then an inverted corkscrew, to find yourself on an equivalent slant, only to do the entire ride again in reverse. It was pretty awesome. :) After that, I wanted to do all the most exciting rides. After all, these rides aren't meant to scare you. (So we hope. :p )

Masamune
08-11-2007, 03:07 PM
That part on the pirate ship where it makes my dick tickle.

XMuppetSB
08-11-2007, 04:10 PM
My favorite ride is any of those water rides. My favorite parts are times when I get wet or soaked.

Beldaran
08-11-2007, 04:53 PM

I burst out laughing and spilled pop-sickle on my pants.

phattonez
08-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I hate rides that have a constant back and forth motion, those get me so sick you wouldn't believe it. Same thing with too much spinning. Whenever I go to theme parks there's no way I can go on rides without Dramamine. The miracle medicine.

That said, when I have that medicine, I really enjoy the the half loops where you get spun around. Those leave you feeling a little drunk once you get off the ride.

EDIT: I didn't even know that Zelda Classic was banned?

ctrl-alt-delete
08-11-2007, 08:40 PM

I will give you credit. That was fucking hilarious.

As for me...it's any ride that does not tear off my feet or drop me 35 feet to my death...

mrz84
08-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I've riden two roller coasters in my life, both twice when I was about 5 or 6. I was at Worlds of Fun and rode the Timber Wolf and the Oriental Express (both twice each) and enjoyed the latter more than the former. I also like the Viking ride, bumper cars (it sounds kiddy of me to say this but it's so fun), water rides and the occasional game or two. :kitty:

DarkDragoonX
08-11-2007, 09:06 PM
The Zipper is my favorite amusement park ride next to just about any rollercoaster. It gives you quite a bit of motion for what it consists of. There's a constant hope that you'll go upside down, and, when you do go upside down, there blossoms to life a new hope that you'll go upside down twice consecutively. Very fun.

YES.

Lilith
08-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I used to really like hypercoasters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercoaster) and wooden coasters. Howev, I was at Great America the other week and on my first wooden coaster that fun flying feeling was suddenly "falling very very quickly oh god stop" vertigo. I tried going on the swings later and I almost got motion sick. Apparently I am a huge pussy now! Although it was really hot and I ate a lot of pancakes beforehand. :)

Glenn the Great
08-12-2007, 12:44 AM
My favorite thing about amusement park rides is when they don't break and slice your feet off like happened to the 13 year old girl in this story the other month.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-22-ride-accident_N.htm?csp=34

cyberkitten
08-12-2007, 02:10 AM
EDIT: I didn't even know that Zelda Classic was banned?

Zelda Classic, FireGirl, PitchFork Rhino, AirealAlbatros, GoodGirl, SystemOfADown, CuttieGirl, Mega Man, Princess Sara, Fira and Quick are all the same person, and were all banned after a mod discovered it on Tuesday.
Quick is perma-banned and the other accounts were created to get around his ban.

AtmaWeapon
08-12-2007, 02:31 AM
The real thrill of The Zipper for me comes from the fact that I know the machine is at least as old as I am and possibly older than my parents. Every ride carries the possibility that the car will disconnect and fling me across the fair, and my only hope is that when I come to rest I will burst enough balloons that I am able to get at least the medium prize sent to the hospital with me.

Really my favorite part of any ride is when it actually starts moving. To be honest I'm quite terrified of almost all manner of rides and each moment in line is an exercise of willpower. Once the ride starts moving I tend to have a great time but for some reason I never seem to remember that when I am in line.

Bumper cars are the best ride though, especially when they aren't so crowded with cars that there is the chance you can actually hit someone with speed. I've seen people's rear ends leave the ground when I hit them before and nothing can quite match the realization that my squeal of joy is equally matched by the squeals of the kid who doesn't know what just hit him.

Oh man nothing like head-on collisions at full speed on the bumper cars let me tell you.

mrz84
08-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Oh man nothing like head-on collisions at full speed on the bumper cars let me tell you.

Yes. That's why I love bumper cars so much. Driving with reckless abandon and having fun knowing that there's no drunken idiots driving the same road. :kitty:

AtmaWeapon
08-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I went to this one park one time where the bumper car ride was set up in a circular track and you were only allowed to drive one way, how lame is that?

The only potential for collisions was rear-ends when someone stopped or T-bones when someone was in the middle of a turn, it was really sad.

Pineconn
08-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Ha, I was about to note that ZC was probably about to get banned.

My favorite ride has to be the Millennium Force at Cedar Point. I mean, come on, it's awesome. My second would have to have been X-Flight at Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio, but they tore it down. Pieces of crap.

biggiy05
08-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Ha, I was about to note that ZC was probably about to get banned.

My favorite ride has to be the Millennium Force at Cedar Point. I mean, come on, it's awesome. My second would have to have been X-Flight at Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio, but they tore it down. Pieces of crap.

Millennium force was awesome. Cedar Point in general is an awesome theme park. I'm going up there next spring when I know can ride the roller coasters without worrying about my chest.

Where do you live Pineconn?

Pineconn
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I live in Cortland, Ohio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortland%2C_Ohio). Cortland is about an hour 5 minutes ESE of Cleveland, and about 20 minutes north of Youngstown. Smack dab in the center of Trumbull County. I see that Johnstown is just NE of Columbus.

Have you been able to ride the Maverick at Cedar Point? I've heard that it's even better than the Millennium. Of course, I wonder if that was just hype speaking. Regardless, I've yet to try the Maverick and even the Top Thrill Dragster. A few years ago I chickened out. ;)

biggiy05
08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I live in Cortland, Ohio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortland%2C_Ohio). Cortland is about an hour 5 minutes ESE of Cleveland, and about 20 minutes north of Youngstown. Smack dab in the center of Trumbull County. I see that Johnstown is just NE of Columbus.

Have you been able to ride the Maverick at Cedar Point? I've heard that it's even better than the Millennium. Of course, I wonder if that was just hype speaking. Regardless, I've yet to try the Maverick and even the Top Thrill Dragster. A few years ago I chickened out. ;)

Nope not yet. The top thrill dragster hasn't appealed to me very much. I may go on it next summer with the girlfriend and see if she freaks out or if I scream like a girl. The mantis has always been a favorite of mine.

Pineconn
08-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, the Mantis. I had no idea what to expect when I rode it, since it was the first coaster I rode that you stand up on. My legs were sore when I got off of it, mostly from all the g-forces and loops. All in all, it was an excellent experience, though I'm not sure the hour wait was worth it.

erm2003
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Roller coasters are awesome. I have been on some similar to the Mantis and also similar to the Boomerang as mentioned by ST. Canada's Wonderland in Ontario (in the Toronto area) has many roller coasters that are similar to the ones at Cedar Point from what I hear. Some of them also have exact replicas at Darien Lake. Just reading this thread makes me want to go back to a theme park. I haven't gone to one in years.

Darth Marsden
08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
The Hulk.
http://www.islandsofadventure.com/hulk.jpg

You start off, innocently enough, in Dr. Bruce Banner's laboratory. Unlike the traditional chainlift coasters, once you board your green and maroon train you will enter the scientist's slingshot gamma ray booster. We're talking no time for clickety. No time for Clack. No sooner are you there, replicating the green with envy doctor's good works that the lab security begins bellowing out "Warning! Warning!" Okay, don't say you weren't warned. In two seconds you will go from zero to 40 miles per hour in one of the most exhilarating moments in ride design history, catapulted into a fierce track that will feature seven unique inversions along the way.

The track's launch is unique in that it is not the traditional linear induction motor catapult. Halfway up the lift, 220 motors beneath the track kick in to power the wheels and send you soaring into an amazing weightless zero roll. The demands are so intense that the ride had to install its own power plant generators so it wouldn't suck the juice out of the rest of the park -- or Orlando for that matter -- every time a Hulk coaster went into orbit.

From submerged mist tunnels to a neat little brake run towards the latter half of the ride that leads to a surprisingly violent dip followed by seemingly impossible twists this coaster will steal your heart -- and pound on it.

And if you see a green-faced passenger once you return to the station, don't worry, it's not the Hulk -- maybe he or she is just feeling a little queasy at the moment. (You must be 54 inches tall to ride)
Some day I hope to return to Florida and re-ride this most ultimate of rides. Someday...

Pineconn
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
In two seconds you will go from zero to 40 miles per hour

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e2/TTD.jpg/458px-TTD.jpg

Ride accelerates from 0 to 124 mph in 3.8 seconds

:D

erm2003
08-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I honestly don't know if I can handle that one. I know a lot of people that love roller coasters but just can't stand that initial drop. I think they would be skipping this ride.

biggiy05
08-17-2007, 04:33 AM
I honestly don't know if I can handle that one. I know a lot of people that love roller coasters but just can't stand that initial drop. I think they would be skipping this ride.

There are a lot of people that get sick when riding it or they get off. There have also been a lot of problems with people complaining about their necks hurting from the sudden jolt of the coaster.

Meh...people want new roller coasters that go fast and do crazy things then complain when they get hurt.

Darth Marsden
08-17-2007, 06:08 AM
The problem with that is it's not really a roller coaster so much as a giant launch pad. It's the same as the Superman ride - it's a line of track that goes up and then down again. I don't call that a roller coaster, I call it a one-shot. The Hulk is a full-on roller coaster, which is why I love it so.

Pineconn
08-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Fine then. Millennium Force. Pwned.

http://badnitrus.coasterbuzz.com/Coasters/MillenniumForce/MillenniumForce_OverviewLo.jpg

Smoothest ride ever. Very exhilerating, very awesome. And thank you Keith McVeen or whatever.

AtmaWeapon
08-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I rode the Tower of Terror at MGM like 10 times in one day on a field trip one time that ride is pretty cool.

The best thing that can happen on rides with lap bars like that one is you sit on the same row with some massive ham golem that got separated from its master and is confused and thinks it is a real person. This happened to me and the lap bar was about 4 inches above my legs.

The only thing that stopped me from going straight out of the seat was I managed to get my kneecaps to hold on to the lap bar. Naturally instead of being terrified at the danger this produced I was thrilled.

biggiy05
08-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Fine then. Millennium Force. Pwned.

Smoothest ride ever. Very exhilerating, very awesome. And thank you Keith McVeen or whatever.

You know it doesn't seem as big when you're on it and going so fast. I always think "hey big roller coaster, this should last a few minutes" and it ends up feeling like 30 seconds.

erm2003
08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
You know it doesn't seem as big when you're on it and going so fast. I always think "hey big roller coaster, this should last a few minutes" and it ends up feeling like 30 seconds.

That is always the most depressing part of the ride. They are always too short.

BTW, I also liked the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster (or whatever it was called) at MGM. You go from 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds. While that may not sound impressive, there is no drop. It happens on a horizontal stretch so you just feel the g-force. Pretty fun.

Lilith
08-18-2007, 01:25 AM
The best thing that can happen on rides with lap bars like that one is you sit on the same row with some massive ham golem that got separated from its master and is confused and thinks it is a real person. This happened to me and the lap bar was about 4 inches above my legs.

sitting behind fat people on water rides is pretty useful, fyi.

Darth Marsden
08-18-2007, 03:17 AM
I thought the Aerosmith roller-coaster was at Disneyland. But yeah, that one's pretty awesome as well. I got a baseball cap from that ride - I was the only one in my family to get a sensible hat.

Millenium Force? Where's that one? Looks pretty cool.

Breaker
08-18-2007, 06:41 AM
I started skydiving earlier this year. I can't see myself ever enjoying roller coasters again. If you live within driving distance of a drop zone, I highly recommend trying it atleast once in your lives.. even if it's just a tandem dive. Nothing beats jumping out of a plane from 13,500ft in the air.

Brasel
08-18-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't know about skydiving...I'm a bit afraid of heights. Even so, I really enjoyed flying in a black hawk helicopter with the doors open over Baghdad every couple of months when I was over there. Talk about thrilling. Roller coasters have never been the same since that, which is okay because I tend to get sick on them anyway.

biggiy05
08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
That is always the most depressing part of the ride. They are always too short.

BTW, I also liked the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster (or whatever it was called) at MGM. You go from 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds. While that may not sound impressive, there is no drop. It happens on a horizontal stretch so you just feel the g-force. Pretty fun.

I rode that and I thought it was awesome but yeah like Darth said, wasn't that in Disney land?

Darth Marsden
08-18-2007, 02:22 PM
A quick Google search reveals that it's at both the Disney-MGM Studios (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRock_'n '_Roller_Coaster&ei=UDjHRp_cN5qawQGy6-B7&usg=AFQjCNGPBdz8Wra-K0XfFUHfzQ__poRkJQ&sig2=TA3FbLOZfzEr1GknCjxH1A) park in Florida and Walk Disney Studios in Paris. So I guess we're all right.

erm2003
08-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I knew it was in Florida, considering I have never been to California, haha.

Pineconn
08-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it's in Disney World. The only problem is that it is way too short. Shorter than the Millennium Force (which is at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio). The trick is to use the single rider lane, and you'll cut in front of the entire Rockin' Roller Coaster's line (which is typically an hour wait)!

The best Disney World coaster, though, is the brand-new Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.