PDA

View Full Version : This is one way to fix the AC in your car...

Prrkitty
08-10-2007, 01:43 PM
And yes I said car... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292809,00.html

He rigged a common household window unit AC for his car instead of paying the $1,200 to fix the AC in his vehicle.

He's a civil engineering graduate who put his ingenuity to good work :)

Cronic
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
wow i just spent 900 for mine... i don't look like a tard though so it was worth it

MottZilla
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I have to agree, you save some money in the short term but get to look like an idiot for much longer. =)

Brasel
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Fuck it. I don't blame him. I drove all summer twice without air conditioning in Georgia because I didn't want to pay to get it fixed. Would have totaled the car honestly.

ShadowTiger
08-10-2007, 05:37 PM
... ... This, ... inspires me. *_* I'm really quite impressed that he managed to rig it up. I'd bet more people would go "Wow" over "Haha, look at that idiot" when they see it.

Majora
08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I hope it's solar powered because I doubt a car battery could support that very long :/

AtmaWeapon
08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
That's going to be so awesome when he gets in an accident and it flies off of the roof and completely destroys some innocent bystander.

*edit* also majoras_wrath what sorcery do you think normal car A/C units run off of?

Majora
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I can't really remember, I THINK (key word is THINK) that there is actual liquid (well, the liquid part I know for sure) that is "connected" (for lack of a better term) by a conductive... thingy :goofy: which is like the 2 liquids/chemicals/Kool-Aid's mixing, thus creating the electricity. It is controlled so that the electricity is made when the car starts.

Cloral
08-10-2007, 09:05 PM
..better known as a battery.

Your car's batter is constantly charged as you drive it, so as long as it only runs when you're driving, it isn't a problem at all.

{DSG}DarkRaven
08-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I drove all summer twice without air conditioning in Georgia because I didn't want to pay to get it fixed.

The AC in my Neon has been broken for the last three years. :uhoh:

AtmaWeapon
08-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I can't really remember, I THINK (key word is THINK) that there is actual liquid (well, the liquid part I know for sure) that is "connected" (for lack of a better term) by a conductive... thingy :goofy: which is like the 2 liquids/chemicals/Kool-Aid's mixing, thus creating the electricity. It is controlled so that the electricity is made when the car starts.SO close! As Cloral pointed out, your car battery is charged by your alternator. So long as you keep your engine RPMs above some magic number, you produce more electrical energy than you consume. Though I must admit I suspect a window AC unit could possibly draw more than the car's AC.

The AC in my Neon has been broken for the last three years. :uhoh:Your location seems to indicate you live in Michigan. I'm not sure what summers are like up there, but Georgia is geographically close to where I used to live and there were days when a high of 90 degrees was cause to celebrate the cool weather. Somehow I have more sympathy for the guy in Georgia.

Brasel
08-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm just glad that I didn't have it this year. Heat index this week got up to 120.

XMuppetSB
08-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Boy, it sure it expensive to have your car's AC fixed, but that household AC makes the car look so cool. :cool: