PDA

View Full Version : 10 Albums?

Dechipher
08-10-2007, 01:46 AM
I was asked the question of which 10 albums I would take to a deserted island.

Ghost Reveries - Opeth
Scenes From a Memory - Dream Theater
An Answer Must Be Found - CKY
Decemberunderground - A.F.I.
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Yes, Virginia - The Dresden Dolls
Give Up - The Postal Service
Everything Goes Numb - Streetlight Manifesto
Isis - ISIS
Reroute to Remain - In Flames

What do you think?

Masamune
08-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Reroute to Remain is definitely on my list.

Tool - Lateralus
Tool - Aenima
Deftones - White Pony
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Rage Against the Machine - Self Titled
Radiohead - Kid A
Deftones - Around the Fur

Beldaran
08-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Van Halen I - Van Halen
Van Halen II - Van Halen
Women and Childrend First - Van Halen
Fair Warning - Van Halen
1984 - Van Halen
OU812 - Van Halen
F.U.C.K. - Van Halen
Balance - Van Halen
The Extremist - Joe Satriani

And for my last album, I'd just put together a compilation of my favorite random techno songs and stuff that I have floating around in my "favorites" folder that comes from obscure and/or disparate sources.

phattonez
08-10-2007, 03:07 AM
^^I take it you like Van Halen?

Fresh Mode - Ugly Duckling
Journey to Anywhere - Ugly Duckling
Taste the Secret - Ugly Duckling
Bang for the Buck - Ugly Duckling
The Doors - The Doors

I guess 5 is enough for me, I can't think of much more.

Gleeok
08-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Van Halen I - Van Halen
Van Halen II - Van Halen
Women and Childrend First - Van Halen
Fair Warning - Van Halen
1984 - Van Halen
OU812 - Van Halen
F.U.C.K. - Van Halen
Balance - Van Halen
The Extremist - Joe Satriani

And for my last album, I'd just put together a compilation of my favorite random techno songs and stuff that I have floating around in my "favorites" folder that comes from obscure and/or disparate sources.

I actually cannot tell if this is a serious post or not. Heh. Sure no one's saying that Van Halen is not completely awesome, but isn't that a bit much. And I have to point out, that is the first time that I know of anyone picking the Extremist over Surfing with the Alien. Feel compelled to know why...and ah, what's that one Extremist..oh yeah, War. Heh, I am in fact listening to that right now. ;)

So on to the list then:

Perpetual Burn - Jason Becker
Symphony X - The Odessy
Godowsky - Complete studies on Chopin Etudes
Dream Theater - Images and words (although M2 is probably the better album)
Vitalij Kuprij - Extreme Measures
Vinnie Moore - The maze
Rachmoninov - Piano Concertos
The Planet X album with Allen Holdsworth...fuck what's it called....Alright +20 cool points if anyone can name that album.
Divine wings of Tradgedy - Symphony X
And uhh what the heck i'll take the Extremist too. ;P -EDIT: Wait, I just listened to the whole thing and think i'll take Friday night SF instead..so sue me.

*Note that this list would change on a bi-weekly basis.

And in case this is a trick question I would bring the coplete box vinal set of Beatles Anthology, as that would be my best bet to build some sort of make-shift raft.

Beldaran
08-10-2007, 04:38 AM
I enjoy the sound of Van Halen a lot. It's not a joke list. I just love the songwriting and guitar tone. It's not the greatest music in history, but if I was trapped on a desert island, it would make me happy.

Dechipher
08-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I enjoy the sound of Van Halen a lot. It's not a joke list. I just love the songwriting and guitar tone. It's not the greatest music in history, but if I was trapped on a desert island, it would make me happy.

Just checking do you have a mullet

AtmaWeapon
08-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Does the Blue Man Group have 10 albums I bet that's the right answer!

Anyway I guess I have to answer since everyone else is answering

Dick Dale and His Deltones - Better Shred than Dead
The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Cake - Comfort Eagle
Cake - Pressure Chief
Anything Beethoven with Moonlight Sonata movement 2 on it (preferably Presto Agitato but I think there are some faster ones)
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
Eagles of Death Metal - Peace Love Death Metal

Dechipher
08-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Cake annoys me. Everything they do is so blase. Their singles are good, but after I heard their cover of WarPigs, I just can't listen to them.

Vivaldi...ugh. Anything pre-romantic (save Bach) is just obnoxious to me. It's gotta have a little more than deceptive and authentic cadences for me to listen for more than one sentence.

If you want Moonlight Sonata, you should at least want the first movement. What's wrong with you man?

Images and Words is okay. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a little too (hye guys we're progressive and getting old) but in the 1980s way. Better than Train of Thought, in any case.

Beldaran
08-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Paganini > Vivaldi

AtmaWeapon
08-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Cake annoys the hell out of me. Everything they do is so blase. Their singles are good, but after I heard their cover of WarPigs, I just can't listen to them.Eh I like them and that's that. I was going to say I had a blasé outlook on life but since it can have two meanings that I find rather different I'm just going to say I like them because I agree with a lot of their points.

Paganini > VivaldiReally? Looks like I need to find some Paganini then.

Beldaran
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't know if you'll agree with me about Paganini. It's a completely personal preference, of course. But either way, he has some wicked stuff. You should check it out.

AtmaWeapon
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Do you have suggestions about particular pieces, or better, CDs? Hunting classical music CDs is always a nasty effort to me because I end up with about a million duplicates when all I really wanted was a particular piece.

Odds are that even if I disagree that Raganini is better than Vivaldi I will enjoy his work.

Modus Ponens
08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Dechipher, have you ever seen Arrested Development?

DarkDragon
08-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Scrolling through iTunes:

Ben Folds Five - Whatever & Ever Amen
Counting Crows - Hard Candy
Dave Matthews - Some Devil
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Guster - Keep it Together
Matchbox Twenty - More Than You Think You Are
Nickel Creek - Why Should the Fire Die?
Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
Third Eye Blind - Blue
Vienna Teng - Waking Hour

Gleeok
08-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Paganini > Vivaldi

Chopin > Paganini

Also did you know that paganini played and wrote guitar compositions, along with duets for violin and guitar. What we need to do is get a dna sample and clone two of him. Imagine, a recording of the 24 caprices played by paganini himself.