PDA

View Full Version : AtmaWeapon and the Deathly Windchimes: A Chilling Tale to Thrill Sentient Beings of a

AtmaWeapon
08-09-2007, 02:06 AM
ll Ages and Persuasions and Possibly Invoke Discussion of Similar Circumstances in the Life of the Reader

Two weekends ago I was visited by my fiancée and her family; a bright spot amongst dark times indeed. While I could spin a tale of romance surrounding these events this is not the purpose of the story. The lack of romantic dialog may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I tend to be a rather insensitive person when I have been alone for long stretches but I digress.

One of the relics of the visit is the acquisition of the entire Harry Potter series; I purchased the first six books as a gift for her and she had recently purchased the seventh. At once I attacked the books, moving through them at as speedy a pace I could. The work week approached, which slowed my progress rather significantly, particularly as I tried to drag my way through Goblet of Fire.

Despite a lack of talent in its production, music and sound has always been something I enjoy. There are quite a few games that I cannot play muted, because without their soundtracks the experience is reduced to the point that I feel my time could be better spent attempting to dig a hole to the other side of the planet. Sometimes it is so boring I almost feel like I'm playing Halo. Sound was one of the reasons I think Twilight Princess was one of the most fantastic installments in the Zelda series. The gameplay was so-so and the graphics were decent, but what kept me going was the mix between nods to retro Zelda themes and its contrast to the dark, ambient noise of the Twilight Realm. I played the game with headphones on so as not to miss details.

One of the sounds I did not enjoy was the otherworldly calls of those weird bird enemies in the Twilight Realm (I believe they were called "Twilit Kalgorok"). For some reason this noise struck fear into my heart and caused me to place high priority on exterminating these menaces. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that my lack of control over the camera made it particularly challenging to discover that one of them was about to bite a chunk out of my buttocks, but something about the birds and their noise unsettled me.

So it was that last Saturday I laid upon my futon, somewhere between Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Throughout the day, I couldn't mistake this soft chiming noise that reminded me slightly of the creature I despised. At random intervals it chimed, always coming from in front of me. I didn't notice it for several hours, but after a while I realized I felt uneasy and the noise of the chime was not helping. It was a rather windy day, so I dismissed it as a neighbor's wind chimes and decided I'd just have to live with it.

Anyone else possessed with a touch of obsession knows that, once introduced to a mystery, it begins to dominate your thoughts. As I slogged my way through the slow and dreary Order of the Phoenix I noticed every chime. It seemed to increase in frequency from something that would happen a few times an hour to a constant background noise happening several times per minute. I thought I'd have to retreat to some other location to read, though since the greater portion of my living space has windows facing where I had deduced the chime was located my chances of escape were dim. Then I remembered.

The books were not the only reminder of the one I hold dear that had been left behind; she had left two small sets of wind chimes: one I purchased in Chattanooga on a visit, another that I purchased in the awesome gift store that had a big shark head so it looked like you were going into the shark's mouth in Biloxi, probably 2 months before Katrina wiped the store off of the coast. One chime was destined for my cubicle at work, the other she hung from the TV stand I have fashioned out of those cheap metal bookshelves that many college students have. I quick touch of the chime revealed this turtle-shaped menace was the source of the noise.

Of course, since it was a relic of the visit which I did not wish to forget, I left it hanging. Discovering the source of the noise seemed to either cause it to chime less or perhaps I simply noticed it less. Strangely enough, since relating this tale to her tonight I have not heard it chime once. (Except I just heard it; apparently tonight it is chiming particularly soft.)

Long story short, I was bothered by a silly windchime. Sort story long? Anything by Dickens.

Beldaran
08-09-2007, 02:48 AM
I think that's a lot of writing for such a small issue. However, it was oddly readable. Maybe I'm just overcome with the desire to be unproductive this evening, and that is why I not only have time to read five paragraph essay on a wind chime, but also the time to waste in order to make a rather unproductive reply.

So in other words, my answer to your frivolous and verbose story is an equally frivolous and somewhat verbose reply.

Trevelyan_06
08-09-2007, 02:51 AM
I did not read Atma's post and instead will wait for the spoilers to come out and then post them in a separate thread.

AtmaWeapon
08-09-2007, 09:03 AM
I did not read Atma's post and instead will wait for the spoilers to come out and then post them in a separate thread.Try and make a somewhat large and entertaining post then put them right in the middle of the rising action, that really gets people just like when Snape kills Hagrid.

Aegix Drakan
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
...there is only one thing I can say to the above post...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/absoldragon/kakashiohno.jpg

But serisously, scared by windchimes? How the heck do wind chimes sound like those giant annoying TP birds?

Mitsukara
08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
It is an internet joke my friend, old as the cosmos.

There is a certain subset of forum posters that seeks to draw attention to themselves in any way possible (namely most of them). If they manage to get good grades in school due to their massive intellect, they tend to want approval from their fellow members of the internet world wide superhighway.

This tends to manifest itself in an out of place, lengthy post that completely dissects what either everyone or a specific individual is talking about, mocks it "subtlely", and tries to provoke them, in a way that to a casual reader makes no sense in the context of the post, since they have no idea what this person is really going on about. A textbook case (if there were a textbook for the internet) would be like so: Though it is not a requirement, the post is usually bland and uninteresting, leading the reader to infer that its sole purpose is to:
Express things that are surely beyond their capability to comprehend
Assert superiority over them by obviously being correctSeeing as internet forums are the playground for nerds who oftentimes have a lack of friends or companions, this is typically a poor effort to look cool by sounding like the "smart one", but is usually received poorly.

The appropriate response to any post like this is to quote the post, delete the text from the post, and replace it with something assinine that either makes people laugh and/or results in one's own banning, and might or might not provoke the original poster depending on how good they are at the game themselves.

Those who are "in" on the joke signify their intent to make nerds cry by taking care to support their claims with plausible deniability and smart-sounding terms such as "Godwin's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law)", but don't explain what their references mean as that would defeat the attempt to appear more clever than the average muggle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggle).

We actually had a good practical example with every post Atma has made in the past month.

AtmaWeapon
08-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I think that's a lot of writing for such a small issue. However, it was oddly readable. Maybe I'm just overcome with the desire to be unproductive this evening, and that is why I not only have time to read five paragraph essay on a wind chime, but also the time to waste in order to make a rather unproductive reply.

So in other words, my answer to your frivolous and verbose story is an equally frivolous and somewhat verbose reply.I didn't think you'd get it, it's not a science. I suppose you'd prefer if works such as Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure were simply cut down to "There was a man who struggled against a society that judged him by his birth and wealth rather than his merit. He lost.". That's the meat of the story, but the enjoyment comes from the other 600 or so pages that get you there.

...You are trying way too hard at this and probably need to step back.

*edit* On second thought maybe you misinterpreted why I did that post; Beldaran wasn't certain why Lilith capitalized something in her post (Beldaran, 2007) (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1135100&postcount=30) and I was explaining it to him. It's actually proper behavior to reply with "haha you don't get it n00b" but I felt that was tactless.

Now surely someone else has a story about being scared by something that turned out completely innocent?

Beldaran
08-09-2007, 08:03 PM
One time, when I was about 11 or 12, I was Jason for Halloween. After coming home, I haphazardly tossed my glow in the dark Jason mask on a pile of shit in my room and went to bed. I sort of half woke up in the middle of the night and turned over. Looking back at me is the hulking shadow with a glowing Jason mask for a head. I freaked out like a complete bitch before realizing what had happened.