PDA

View Full Version : my wisdom teeth

Lilith
08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Making this topic mostly because Glenn is going to post in it because he loves wisdom teeth.

Welp, I got all 4 of mine out and it sucked. I found a place that makes pancakes to go, so the night before I got pancakes and planned to have a huge last meal. Not really. One of my impacted teeth swelled up and since I couldn't take pain meds before the surgery I fell asleep bawling. I had to THROW AWAY my pancakes. :( Then the actual surgery was pretty cool, but right afterwards I was still out of it and they decided to feed me pills. I woke up completely at this point and I spewed water and pills everywhere and then dry-heaved for 5 mins.

Then the next day it turns out I'm allergic to codeine, and I slowly descend into these miserable hallucinations where my stomach is a small empty pump, and I'm in a field surrounded by poles. Some of the poles had eyeballs on them, not the friendly eyeballs either. Anyway, these poles were spinning around all over the place and making me feel terrible. Every time they spun around too fast my stomach would pump and I would puke. This happened about a dozen times and I was only puking up acid, which burned and made me not able to breathe, so there was more puking. Then lots of convulsing and being held down. I lost 5 lbs!

So then I got to detox off all the meds and I have been basically med-free since Sunday other than advils (lol). It hurts pretty fucking bad. I am posting this though because Glenn used to a post a million times about how much he LOVED the pain after getting his wisdom teeth out. Well, I am having that, and let me tell you the feeling in your jaw is just like giving a blowjob for like 3 hours, but times a thousand. So basically Glenn likes sucking dick.

Tell me your wisdom teeth stories.

Cronic
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Lol all I saw was...

So basically Glenn likes sucking dick.

I'm glad things have relaxed here!

In all seriousness though hope youre well, and I recomend a good opiate for the pai... well for the just about anything actually =)

Daarkseid
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Man.. this just reminds me of why I've been avoiding follow up visits to the dentist; They said my wisdom teeth need to be looked at and probably removed.

They are going to have to come out eventually though, they sit there too far back and are impossible to clean.

Glenn the Great
08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Well I enjoyed the experience of having them taken out, but then again, I also loved having my braces.

I like certain kinds of pain I guess. It's the more internal, visceral pains that get to me.

ShadowTiger
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm the same way, I suppose. Not really looking forward to getting them even looked at again. >.< I think only one of them is pointed at an awkward angle, (Yep. ._. )

It's the more internal, visceral pains that get to me.Let me guess: Some kinds of pain let you know you're alive, and let you realize that you can develop a tolerance to them, therefore making you that much more immune to them? That, versus having something like a headache, which isn't really something that you can get used to because there's no immediate and obvious direct cause to ameliorate by means of your own external actions without having to resort to a pill or something.

Headaches suck. >.<

erm2003
08-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I was fortunate enough to only have one tooth impacted but I still had all 4 removed anyway just to avoid any possible problems in the future. I went under sedation for the surgery. It was weird because I could tell what they were doing and where they were pulling, but I couldn't feel anything. I was in pain for probably about a week and then I was ok after that.

The worst thing was on the second day my mother thought it would be a great idea to bring a sub home for dinner. I was able to very slowly chew with my front teeth in very small bites to eat it. It took me about an hour to eat half a sub before I just gave up.

Aegix Drakan
08-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow Lilith...That really sucks. First you have to throw out your pancakes, THEN you can't take meds to ease the pain, AND THEN, you're allergic to some medication, and have freaky hallucinations which make you puke burning acid... Sounds like you had a really bad time of it. Here's hoping you recover asap.

I had two of my wisdom teeth taken out. Lukily, the guy who took mine out was apparently an expert in that area. Plus, I only had two removed. But man... After the surgery, I felt like I had two HUGE rubber balls sticking out of the back of my mouth. I could not talk for two whole days, and was reduced to eating chiken soup 3 meals a day for a week. Even chicken soup starts to get old if that's all you eat. :(

not to mention that I had two painful slices in my lower jaw that kept pulsating all the time. I took a lot of advil that week, I tell you.

Modus Ponens
08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm supposed to get mine taken out. I can tell you that I am not looking forward to it. I'd love to hear testimony from someone that has completely normal wisdom teeth that grew in just fine and now just has extra teeth compared to everyone else.

What the hell's the point of the damn things, anyway?

Glenn the Great
08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
What the hell's the point of the damn things, anyway?

I was told by my dentist that they are vestigial organs from the caveman days when they used to function as molars.

Lilith
08-07-2007, 10:49 PM
They are probably extras that will push over the rest of your teeth so that you can lose one or two adult teeth. My mouth was already too small for regular teeth, though.

AtmaWeapon
08-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I didn't get codeine I got some other pain medicine that was little red pills.

All I know is those things were so completely effective at blocking pain that I did not go to the restroom for 2 days, and only went when my hazy mind realized I had not been. I had no idea I had to go.

Also thankfully my mind was clear enough to fight against my mom who, despite the fact that Aleve's selling point is that it is a 12-hour medication, believed I needed 2 Aleve every 4 hours. I had to read the label to her at 3 in the morning.

Also it was a cause of one of the worst father-son moments I ever had. Dad had just got this big bonus for some reason and couldn't figure out what to spend it on. I'm sitting in half asleep after attempts to focus on TV failed, when he comes in and we have this conversation:

Dad: Hey I was thinking I could use this money and get you a nice set of golf clubs and we could sometimes on the weekends play golf with each other.

Me: Huh

Dad *repeats*

Me: *thinks for a long time, then sits up in bed to look him in the eye* Nah dad I'm really not interested in golf right now.

Dad: *face falls* Oh... ok

Me: wait... *figures out what just happened* I didn't mean it come on I'm on painkillers here why not ask me when I'm coherent?

Oh man I still feel really awful he was so sad :(

Yoshiman
08-07-2007, 11:35 PM
I would've been more ticked at the fact that I had to throw away perfectly good pancakes than get my wisdom teeth taken out. :p

When I got mine taken out, it really wasn't all that bad for me. They gave me two tranquilizer pills; one for the night before, and the other to take an hour before hand. When I took the pill before I went in, I was told I was acting quite loopy. I have almost no recollection of what happened in that hour.

The actual process was no problem for me. They just hooked me up and I was out in 2 seconds. And after a ride home with not being able to think clearly, I just slept for the rest of the day.

Even afterwards, I didn't have too much pain related to me missing four of my teeth. Swelling was very minimal, and I didn't even need the Vicodin I was given. I was more pissed off at the fact that I had to live off of yogurt, Jello, and Tylenol for a week.

Beldaran
08-08-2007, 01:28 AM
I'm just blatantly putting it off because I currently have no dental insurance. Perhaps at some point my jaw will just explode with bone, blood, and slime. I'll take pictures and post.

I hope you feel better Lilith.

MrCow
08-08-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm supposed to end up having my jaw broken and have the bone shaved down, then wired shut for a few days after that surgery to heal. I'm still avoiding that one. I have no idea what my wisdom teeth are up to yet, but I know I will be looking at surgery for my teeth/jaw at one point or another.
MOUTH PAIN IS THE WORST.
my cousin is lucky, shes actually more evolved then most people because she was born without wisdom teeth.

Mitsukara
08-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Hmm. I don't think my wisdom teeth are in yet...

That sucks big time, especially the backlash from the codeine. I've never experienced any hallucinations that I recall, but that one sounds scary as hell in particular.

Hope you feel better soon :( *hugs*

Cloral
08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
For some odd reason they originally decided to only remove 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth. They gave me a general anesthetic for the surgery, and I don't remember the pain so much as having milkshakes for dinner for the next 2 days.
Eventually they decided to remove my fourth wisdom tooth as well. When the dentist was telling me this, I made a yanking motion to mimic them pulling the tooth out. To this the dentist replied that it was much more sophisticated than that. I went back to the same oral surgeon who had removed the first 3 teeth, and after shooting my mouth up with novacane he grabbed a giant pair of pliers and yanked the tooth out. It didn't hurt, but I could feel it pulling on my face, and could hear the roots snapping. That was not very pleasant.

firebug
08-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Getting teeth pulled is fun! I needed no 'surgery', so I was just given novocaine, not knocked out. Weirdest.. Sensation.. Ever! It felt almost like he was sticking that little vacuum dealie right inside my jaw.

Sucks ass you're allergic to codeine. Did they just assume you were allergic to other opiates as well? My GF is also allergic to codeine, but she can take vidocin/percocet/dilaudid just fine. You should have demanded another scrip. Dealing with that kind of pain on advils alone is ridiculous.

DarkDragoonX
08-08-2007, 02:30 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I spent the next several days wishing I was dead. I've also had two root canals performed when I was nine (caused by a bicycle accident), a THIRD root canal performed a couple years back when a tooth died from complications from the first root canal, and one full-on oral surgery to remove a cyst that formed as a complication of the third root canal.

Unsurprisingly, I really fucking hate going to the dentist.

Prrkitty
08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I had 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth taken out at one time. They ALL turned into a "dry socket". Thankfully the vicodin and another pain med given (I can't remember the 2nd one used) helped me sleep thru most of the pain... because "dry sockets" are horribly painful.

I'm sorry your experience was so bad hon. I hope you feel better soon :)

MottZilla
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm just blatantly putting it off because I currently have no dental insurance. Perhaps at some point my jaw will just explode with bone, blood, and slime. I'll take pictures and post.

I hope you feel better Lilith.

That's pretty much me too. I don't have coverage, I hope everything holds together till I do. Either way though I won't want to go. From what I can see my wisdom teeth do seem to fit. I had braces and other stuff done that was supposed to widen my jaw to help all my teeth fit. Maybe I got lucky and the wisdom teeth will fit. I sure hope so cause I hate the dentist. On the other hand it wouldn't be so bad if you go loopy on drugs and don't have to deal with it.

Brasel
08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Army took my wisdom teeth even though the dentist said I didn't need to lose them. Mine were all in and completely fine, but the dentist still said he wanted to take them out, "just in case". I was kind of mad about that. The worst part was when they were shooting me up with Novocain. The needles hurt way more than them yanking teeth out of my head.

When I was all loopy on the pain medication and still had a numb mouth, I was eating vanilla ice cream and looked in the mirror to find that I had ice cream and blood running down the front of my face and shirt. It looked just like strawberry shortcake, without the cake.

Archibaldo
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I guess I'm a lucky one. The last time my dentist looked at y wisdom teether she said that they were coming in straing and may not need to be removed.

MrCow
08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Novocain doesn't work for me, it numbs my face and crap but the second they start drilling and get near a nerve, I feel it. Just gotta take the pain and grin and bear it.

mrz84
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I had 2 wisdom teeth removed when I needed braces in junior high (about a decade ago now me thinks) and that same day I visited my aunt's for the night and couldn't eat hard foods for 24+ hours. I had to drown anything I wanted to eat in one sauce or another and then put it in the microwave until the sauce(s) made the food in question a pancake.

Lilith
08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
When I was all loopy on the pain medication and still had a numb mouth, I was eating vanilla ice cream and looked in the mirror to find that I had ice cream and blood running down the front of my face and shirt. It looked just like strawberry shortcake, without the cake.

haha, afterwards I was eating chicken broth and I didn't notice it was dripping until the cats started trying to eat me.

also dry sockets :( so glad I didn't get one because I was ~* at risk *~ or something.

Dechipher
08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I got my wisdom teeth taken out, and it actually went pretty normal. It sucked, but it was fairly normal. The thing that sucked was a few weeks later I had to have my front tooth (which is fake) replaced. Basically, the dumbass 6th grade version of myself ran into a wall and knocked out half my front left tooth, so they put a crown on it and sent me home. Fastfoward to to summers ago, they say it needs to be replaced. So they ripped out the crown, so all I had was this jaggedy ass tooth in the front. Then they took a mold of it (which sucked soooo bad) and put a new cap on it. Then they call me a week later and tell me oh by the way that one is just temporary come back tomorrow so we can get you the real one. So I pop back in, they rip off the new one I'd gotten, and put on a new cap, which is thankfully still there.
It sucked.

Glenn the Great
08-08-2007, 09:56 PM
All four of mine became dry sockets after I forgot not to use a straw.

It wasn't a big deal. I was given a few Loratabs, but I never needed them. After a few days, I decided I didn't want any to go to waste, so I ate them to see what the effects would be.

Sometimes a drop of saliva would sink to the bottom of the socket and would cause a sharp sting for a few minutes. I'd just close my eyes and focus on it, and it was enjoyable.

It just doesn't really bother me to have pain right in that particular location of the jaw. Maybe because I know there aren't any vital organs right there. Just a big mass of bone.

What really felt neat was when the bone grows back into place a few months after you have them removed. It tends to grow back in pointy shards that pierce the gum, making it feel somewhat like having the separators in your molars before getting braces (another of my favorite experiences.) Everytime I'd get my braces tightened, I'd spend the next few days habitually biting down on my molars again and again, especially in class.

Aegix Drakan
08-08-2007, 10:37 PM
*reads Glenn's post*

...wow, and I thought I was crazy because I enjoy Burning hot showers...

Glenn, you are one weird person, you know that?

Lilith
08-08-2007, 11:46 PM
lol I love burning hot showers. I tried to shower with MY BOYFRIEND awhile ago but he thought I was playing a prank on him and left. :(

Beldaran
08-09-2007, 12:41 AM
lol I love burning hot showers. I tried to shower with MY BOYFRIEND awhile ago but he thought I was playing a prank on him and left. :(

I'm curious why you emphasized that in caps?

AtmaWeapon
08-09-2007, 02:19 AM
It is an internet joke my friend, old as the cosmos.

There is a certain subset of forums posters that seeks to draw attention to themselves in any way possible. If they manage to charm a member of the opposite sex to spend time in their company via chloroform or threat of deadly force, they tend to want approval from their fellow members of the internet world wide superhighway.

This tends to manifest itself in an otherwise normal post that contains a reference to their hostage that makes no sense in the context of the post. A textbook case (if there were a textbook for the internet) would be like so:
Yeah I think Final Fantasy VII is clearly the best game ever. They spent a lot of time on the graphics and it really shows. I showed the game to my girlfriend once after I let her take her blindfold off. The best part of the game is when Will Smith punches that alien in the face.Though it is not a requirement, the post is usually bland and uninteresting, leading the reader to infer that its sole purpose is to: Assert that the poster has a girlfriend Assert superiority to those who do notSeeing as internet forums are the playground for nerds that don't tend to have any form of companion it is a cheap shot and is understandably met with much disdain.

The appropriate response to any post like this is to quote the post, delete the text from the quote, and replace it with MY GIRLFRIEND or whatever the phrase was in capital letters.

Variants of the theme include MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER, MY LIFE PARTNER, MY FERRARI, MY PLAYSTATION 3, RICHARD DAWKINS, MY BREASTS and the closely related HAY GUYS I AM A GIRL.

Those who are "in" on the joke signify their intent to avoid making nerds cry by taking care to remove spurious references to success with attractive people or, when circumstances require a reference, ensuring that you capitalize the reference in your own post so you cannot be the butt of the joke, kind of like how Godwin's Law is only in effect until someone invokes it.

We actually had a good practical example with goKi's MY LIFE post a few weeks back.

*edit* burning hot is the only way a shower should be and any man that balks at the chance of a steamy hot shower with a lady should immediately be under suspicion of having contracted the gay

Beldaran
08-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the informative post.

I'm going to add that I also love really devilishly hot showers. I like each beam of water to be so hot as to feel like a little laser that burns and massages at the same time. I feel like it melts and blasts away whatever oily gunk I obsessive compulsively imagine is caking my body in the morning.

There really is nothing like a good, long shower. It's my favorite place to think and reevaluate my goals.

ShadowTiger
08-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I can't stand the extreme temperature of such a shower. I like showers slightly less hot, and more warm and cozy. Perhaps something you might potentially even be able to fall asleep standing up in with the most content of expressions on your face. ^--^

I can't really do that when someone is shooting laser beams at me. >.< No not tonight I fathom.

biggiy05
08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I haven't had my wisdom teeth pulled but I'm sure they will have to come out sooner or later. The needle the shove into your gum is a whole different type of pain. Even after they numb the area it still hurts when they stab your gums.

Hot showers are the best. I don't drink coffee so that's how I wake up in the morning is a long hot shower. It's the best place to think about whatever is on your mind and it feels good.

Glitch
08-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't have top wisdom teeth, only bottom. They actually needed to be removed but lack of dental insurance is preventing it. They only bother my for a day or two every 3 months or so.

Glenn, you need to trip and fall into a bucket of aids.

Beldaran
08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I admit I do not understand this random all-caps joke. Can anyone explain it to me?

Modus Ponens
08-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Can anyone explain it to me?

I just got it! It's rad. Basically, when the person--in this case, Lilith--thinks that someone's post is drawing unnecessary attention to some point of pride, they capitalize that point of pride. Of course, in this most recent example, I think either Lilith was just playing around, or was unjustified in her criticism, since everyone has goals.

Got it?

Grasshopper
08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
When I had my teeth taken out, it only took about an hour. I slept the first half of the day. Had no problem chewing food the rest of the day. And I don't remember having to take pain pills the following days. Didn't have to worry about ice, or excessive bleeding or any of that either. I must have had either a really good dentist, or a high tolerance for pain. :shrug: My experience wasn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

Sneezing after having surgery on your chest...now that hurts!

Modus Ponens
08-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Grasshopper, perhaps your wisdom tooth situation wasn't as bad as other people's. If one's wisdom teeth are growing in at an odd angle, things can be more difficult and/or painful. Also, the longer you wait to have them removed, the harder your jaw becomes, and the more painful the operation can be.

Mitsukara
08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Come to think of it, I had a molar pulled a few years ago. It had a pretty bad cavity and a sinus infection above it. It hurt pretty bad and bled a lot. Not fun.

Amazingly, I remembered to avoid straws. However, I DID try to eat potato chips a little too soon. Ow.

On the plus side, I'm wondering if I'll actually have room for my wisdom tooth in the top left now...

Grasshopper
08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Grasshopper, perhaps your wisdom tooth situation wasn't as bad as other people's. If one's wisdom teeth are growing in at an odd angle, things can be more difficult and/or painful. Also, the longer you wait to have them removed, the harder your jaw becomes, and the more painful the operation can be.

Mine were at an odd angle. They grew in crooked. Thats why I had to have then taken out. The dentist thought that cavities could develop on the bottom side of the tooth that I wouldn't be able to get to with floss or a toothbrush. And I had them taken out when I was about 21. I know thats not old, but I don't think many people on this forum are over their 30s.

I figure a lot of people are scared to have their wisdom teeth taken out because of that. So when I talk to people that need them taken out, I definitely suggest the dentist that done mine. Because the time it took and the pain were all minimal.

AtmaWeapon
08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I admit I do not understand this random all-caps joke. Can anyone explain it to me?Wait what I just explained it and you acknowledged the post are you OK Beldaran?

Beldaran
08-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I guess I didn't understand it completely. I thought by your description that all caps was used when you wanted to make a reply that highlighted your own positives in order to sort of make fun of yourself and others at the same time.

For instance,

"Yeah well one time I was talking to MY GIRLFRIEND and bla bla"

I didn't realize you could just quote other people's use of things like "goals" and just write them in all caps and have that be funny.

I'm officially old I guess. I can't keep up with all the stupid social trends on the internet anymore.

AtmaWeapon
08-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Actually you got it right the first time and the second description is off.

MotleyCrueFan
08-10-2007, 05:20 AM
I got my wisdom teeth pulled out in late winter of 2007 and it was God Blessed.

First I went to the dentist he numbed me and then put needles in my gums about 2-4 I am not sure but although I didn't feel a sting, I Loooved the feeling of the needles.

Yes I am a Safe Maniac of Needles a little tiny bit scared of them though:D.

After I got my X-Rays and stuff done and I waited about say 7-33 days then I went to the OrthoDontist and he used a Needle to put me to sleep for about say a half hour.

When my OrthoDontist put the needle it it may have stung just a touch but I loved it so much I called it God Blessed.

After my teeth was out I didn't get sick and only slept twice.

Once for about say 10 minutes the other only for about 7.87 Minutes.

God Bless you all-

Jason.

Beldaran
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
You scare me.

MottZilla
08-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Atleast he didn't say he didn't want to pay the dentist bill and too them out himself with a razor and plyers. We're still waiting for that guy to post.

DarkDragoonX
08-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure the denistry and the scaryness are totally unrelated in this case.