PDA

View Full Version : Overworld Areas - Different Music

LostInHyru1e
08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Hello, me again, asking another n00b question. :)

Is it possible for me to have different sections of the overworld have different music? Such as... a Graveyard, a Lake, a Field... I already have the Midis I want picked out, I just need to know how I would give different parts of my overworld different music.

erm2003
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Yes, you just have to set up each area as it's own dmap and you can have different music for each area. They can all be drawn on the same map but just have a side warp from one screen to the next to carry it to a different dmap with the music you want.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 05:30 PM
But when I select "Overworld" as the DMap type, it automatically emcompasses he entirety of Map 1. Does that mean I would need to label my overworld as a Cave or Dungeon, or just put them on different maps?

Russ
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
NO. It doesn't matter if you have multiple dmaps on the sae map. You just make one dmap for every different section of the overworld that has it's own unique music or pallete and the use side warps to switch between the dmaps, even though there on the same map.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I know I can have multiple cave or dungeon-type DMaps on the same map, but whenever I pick "overworld" as the DMap type, it automatically encompasses the entire Map. Every space. Does that mean I should overlap DMaps?

erm2003
08-06-2007, 07:31 PM
But if on one screen you tell it to use a side warp from one screen to the next you can set it as another dmap. It doesn't matter if it shows the whole map. By using side warps and different dmaps you can break up your overworld map however you please.

C-Dawg
08-06-2007, 07:38 PM
You're missing something about how DMaps work.

Setting up a DMap does not "assign" map screens to that particular DMap. Nothing of the sort. Setting up a DMap simply lets you define which Map data to look at when Link is on the Dmap. Think of it this way: Link moves around from Dmap to Dmap. The Dmap checks the data you set up and decides what to display based on that.

So, in your overworld example, there's nothing stopping you from assigning 1, 2, 4, hell, all 255 Dmaps to the same Map. Just start Link on one Dmap, say, the forest, and make sure that when he walks out of the forest, he side-warps to another dmap, say, the field. They can both be assigned to the same Map, no problem.

In fact, you can visit the same screen on multiple Dmaps, if you want. It all depends on what warp took Link there. Remember, Dmaps and Maps are totally independent.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
The editor for build 500 has a screen data option to set a specific midi for the screen. Not sure if it's fully implemented yet, but I reccommend trying it first. It's a whole lot less of a headache than juggling DMAPS.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Okay, thank you for explaining that to me, C-Dawg, I didn't understand.

And A-B, I have ZC2.10, and I don't really plan on trying a new version. :)

Anarchy_Balsac
08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, you don't have to, but you're missing out on a LOT. The item and enemy editors alone give you a lot of freedom.

C-Dawg
08-06-2007, 09:13 PM
The editor for build 500 has a screen data option to set a specific midi for the screen. Not sure if it's fully implemented yet, but I reccommend trying it first. It's a whole lot less of a headache than juggling DMAPS.

Screen-specific MIDIs are not really a substitute for different DMaps because they don't let you modify the palette or other DMap attributes. They're best used for things like boss rooms.

erm2003
08-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Screen-specific MIDIs are not really a substitute for different DMaps because they don't let you modify the palette or other DMap attributes. They're best used for things like boss rooms.

Since this has been brought up here is a question about the feature since I haven't tried it out yet. If you use a screen specific midi and you select the same one for two consecutive screens, does it continue or restart the midi when you move between those two screens?

Anarchy_Balsac
08-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Nope, it doesn't, just tested it.

And yeah, I know what you're saying c-dawg, but the guy was just asking about custom screen midis, not custom screen palettes. So if you're only modifying music, using screen specific midis is definitely better. But yeah, DMAPS are better for modifying palettes and other stuff.

erm2003
08-06-2007, 10:40 PM
To each his own.

I still say dmaps are easier because you don't have to set the midi for each screen. Besides, maybe you want the player to continue at the entrance of this new overworld area if he or she dies. You need a new dmap for that anyway. I guess it's just always been done that way so it breaks up the overworld a bit more.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Yes, the only reason that I didn't download the new version for the screen-specific Midi was because I wanted my players to be able to continue on the part of the Overworld they died at. I always hated in the original LoZ that no-matter where you died in the Overworld, you'd almost always be transported very far from wherever that was.

Russ
08-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I say screen specific midis are way easier to use than multiple dmaps. They let you use your dmaps for other things for one. They make boss rooms really easy to set up. And you can have a bunch of different overworld areas each with a different midi and only use one dmap.

Joe123
08-07-2007, 01:28 PM
if you want a different palette or dmap name you have to use another dmap anyway. And if you want to use a version which isn't a beta you have to do it like that for the music aswell anyway >_>

Russ
08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Yah, but 2.10 doesn't even work on my computer, so I don't have much of a choice. But if you're using the same pallete, screen specific midis are so much easier to use. If you make a boss room have music in 2.10, you have to make the enrance to the room a one way shutter since you can't have two side warps.

Joe123
08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
ahhhh, but you can use the tile warp! Just because you have only one side warp doesn't mean you can warp from only one side!

LostInHyru1e
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Still, the sticking point for me in using the Dmaps instead is the multiple continue points.