PDA

View Full Version : Wii Recommendations

Darth Marsden
08-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm thinking about finally getting a Wii, thanks to the number of games that are starting to interest me and some online searching that will remove the need for Nintendo to start doing different colour consoles. Like so. (http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/wii-icbk)

And I was wondering what games you guys would recommend. Straight off the bat - I don't do hardcore sports games. The Wii Sports thing that comes with the console would be about the limit. That's about the only limit though, I'm pretty flexible to other genres. So with that in mind, what looks good out there?

rock_nog
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Zelda
Resident Evil 4
Metroid's coming out soon
Warioware (if you're into that kind of thing)
Super Paper Mario

Also I hear Excitetruck isn't half-bad if you're not sick to death of arcade-style racing games. That's about the extent to which I can help.

Modus Ponens
08-05-2007, 04:18 PM
rock_nog's got it. I was going to add to his list, but those are the ones to get.

Oh, and supposedly Super Mario Galaxy will come out on November 12, and it's looking mighty fine.

erm2003
08-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Don't forget about Smash Bros. Brawl if you want to talk about upcoming games. It will be available in December and it looks like it will be a great game.

I just ordered Resident Evil 4 and The Godfather: Blackhand Edition. Once I get a chance to play them a bit I will have to let you know if they are worth it. I have heard a lot of great things about RE4 so we will see.

Mario Party 8 isn't too bad either. I have had fun playing it with my friends even if it does feel a little gimmicky at times. You just got it back in stores there so it may be worth checking out.

Orion
08-06-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm rather enjoying Mario Strikers. It works well, and it has online play. It's definitely not a "hardcore sports game." And it plays more like a hockey/lacrosse game than it does soccer. Plus powerups and random things wreaking havoc on the field.

Grasshopper
08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Also I hear Excitetruck isn't half-bad if you're not sick to death of arcade-style racing games. That's about the extent to which I can help.Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. It was one of the only games I played a lot of.

Darth Marsden
08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! My response:

- I've got Zelda TP on Gamecube, and don't particularly want to buy it again.
- Resident Evil 4 is gonna have to wait until I can be arsed to finish the first 3. I'm picky like that.
- MP Corruption goes without saying.
- Is Wario Ware really that much fun on your own? Which is what I'd be.
- Super Paper Mario! Funny how I'd forgotten that one. Good call.
- Excite Truck. Would you say it's good, bad or so-so?
- Super Mario Galaxy. I dunno. I'd have to try it first. Not sure about the controls.
- Smash Bros Brawl. Again, it'd be by myself, so it's not a priority.
- Godfather just doesn't do anything for me.I couldn't really get into the films. See here (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1117796&postcount=21).
- Mario Party 8. Once again, I'd be playing solo. Don't think it'd be all that great alone.
- Super Mario Strikers, despite being non-serious, still doesn't really interest me.

I've been looking around, and has anyone tried any of the following? They all look kinda interesting and I'd love to hear your thoughts on them:

Call of Duty III, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Kororinpa, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Red Steel, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Spider-Man III, Super Monkey Ball

rock_nog
08-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Rayman's not half bad, CoD III is so-so, but it makes very good use of the Wii controls, and for the love of God, avoid Spider-man 3 like the plague.

Plissken
08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Monkey Ball. So much fun with the Wii controller.

Masamune
08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I was playing that wario game at my friend's house today. And I must say, it kept me entertained for quite a while.

Vagla
08-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Am I really the only one who hates Super Monkey Ball for Wii? I absolutely love the first one for Gamecube and was excited about the Wii controls, but in my opinion, they just don't work very well. Control feels inferior to the original's joystick control, and I feel the game itself is simply inferior compared to the original. I was very disappointed when I found out that my appreciation for this game did not mirror that of reviewers or even my own appreciation of the first game. Ah well.

Rayman is so-so, in my opinion. I had quite a bit of fun playing it with a few friends, but I can't imagine it being too enjoyable alone.

I'm currently considering purchasing Mario Strikers, Excite Truck, and Wario Ware. All seem interesting, but to be honest, I'm mostly holding out for Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Super Mario Galaxy, all of which look to be absolutely fantastic. Games that are currently out that I enjoy are Elebits, Resident Evil 4 (the controls are fantastic in this game; the improvement over the Gamecube controls is astounding), Super Paper Mario, and Zelda. If you want a game that will really make you appreciate the unique features of the Wii, I recommend Elebits. However, it might only be worth a rent, as the game doesn't have all that much variety. It throws some new aspects in as you go along, but overall it's the same sort of thing all the way through. The controls work great for it, though, as you have to point, push, pull, twist, and various other things; it definitely showcases the abilities of the remote. As much as I love my Wii, there's not all that much out at the moment that really interests me. Luckily, that's not the case with the upcoming lineup. You might want to check out Trauma Center for Wii, as it looks interesting. There will also be a brand new Trauma Center sometime in the not too distant future (later this year, I think?). If you've not already played through the DS version, the Wii version may be for you.

Darth Marsden
08-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Again, thanks for your thoughts. Responses:

- Call of Duty III I'm mostly interested in 'cause it doesn't look like it's coming to the PC.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Has anyone tried that? Looks fun.
- I'm keeping an eye on Rayman Raving Rabbids because, like most games, I enjoyed it's prequels.
- Red Steel? Anybody try this one either?
- I will get Sonic and the Secret Rings, but can anyone tell me how good it is?
- I already knew about Spider-Man III, just wanted your opinion on it.
- Wasn't a huge fan of the original Super Monkey Balls, just wondered how it'd translated to the Wii. Hmm.
- Elebits doesn't really appeal to me, and nor do other, similar games, like Trauma Center. Not sure why.

Gerudo
08-07-2007, 08:52 AM
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? Has anyone tried that? Looks fun.
- I'm keeping an eye on Rayman Raving Rabbids because, like most games, I enjoyed it's prequels.
- Red Steel? Anybody try this one either?
- Wasn't a huge fan of the original Super Monkey Balls, just wondered how it'd translated to the Wii. Hmm.
- Elebits doesn't really appeal to me, and nor do other, similar games, like Trauma Center. Not sure why.

Harry Potter seemed more or less a chore yo do things.
Raving Rabbids is a collection of minigames, and only uses the Rayman character.
Red Steel was ubersuck, imo.
Monkey Ball was alright. A few of the 'massive' minigames are annoying, and at times the control for the main game is downright irritating.
I hated Elebits. The Trauma Center demo wasn't bad.

Tygore
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Wii Play definitely deserves a mention, since it comes with the spare remote- you're basically paying $10 for a decent minigame collection.

Orion
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Sonic is ok. I rented it, and I was glad I didn't pay full price for it, because while it's step in the right direction, and it has some fun elements, there's still a lot more they could have done *right*, and they didn't.

Darth Marsden
08-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys. Upon reflection, I think I'll hang on a while longer - 2 or 3 games does not a console purchase warrant.

vegeta1215
08-07-2007, 06:25 PM
I've had a Wii since March, and the only Wii game I have (besides Wii Sports) is Super Paper Mario, which is fun but not nearly as good as the previous Paper Mario titles. Other than that I've been playing a few VC games.

Like you I am waiting for Metroid, Mario, and Smash Bros. There are other games I'd like to try, some of which you mentioned, but nothing else I really want to play right now.

Grasshopper
08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys. Upon reflection, I think I'll hang on a while longer - 2 or 3 games does not a console purchase warrant.

I find that more and more common with the later generation of systems, as it takes longer and longer to put out a game. Even the 360, which has been out far longer than the other two suffers from that same problem, at least for me. I can't think of but a few titles for any of the console systems that stand out for me to buy.

In my opinion, if you see a few games you want to buy, and want to own the system, you might as well buy it and get it over with. I really don't think it would drop in price anytime soon. So if you buy today, a few months from now, or even next year...chances are you'll still be buying it for the same price. Look at the Xbox 360, which is still $400.

If you want it, then why wait for more games, especially if you already know a lot of games that are coming out that you do want to buy? If you had decided to get one before you even found out that there wasn't enough games for it, then that doesn't sound like it was the main reason behind why you wanted it to begin with. :)

I'm all for you saving your money if you actually have something else to spend it on now. But if the money your putting aside is clearly for a Wii, and a Wii only, then buying it now shouldn't matter much opposed to buying it later.

But its all up to you. I would buy a PC.:tongue:

Glenn the Great
08-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I would buy a PC.:tongue:

I agree with this. More and more it seems consoles are becoming old hat, and it wouldn't surprise me if this were the final generation of consoles.

Darth Marsden
08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I find that more and more common with the later generation of systems, as it takes longer and longer to put out a game. Even the 360, which has been out far longer than the other two suffers from that same problem, at least for me. I can't think of but a few titles for any of the console systems that stand out for me to buy.

In my opinion, if you see a few games you want to buy, and want to own the system, you might as well buy it and get it over with. I really don't think it would drop in price anytime soon. So if you buy today, a few months from now, or even next year...chances are you'll still be buying it for the same price. Look at the Xbox 360, which is still $400.

If you want it, then why wait for more games, especially if you already know a lot of games that are coming out that you do want to buy? If you had decided to get one before you even found out that there wasn't enough games for it, then that doesn't sound like it was the main reason behind why you wanted it to begin with. :)

I'm all for you saving your money if you actually have something else to spend it on now. But if the money your putting aside is clearly for a Wii, and a Wii only, then buying it now shouldn't matter much opposed to buying it later.

But its all up to you. I would buy a PC.:tongue:
I was thinking about getting a Wii, and wondered if now was a good time to do so. I like variety in my games - if I get bored of one I can switch to another, that sort of thing. As I say, there's a few games I'd be interested in, but I think hanging on for a while longer to be a better idea. I'd have more money by then and could afford more games, that sort of thing.

And I already have a PC. :D

Cloral
08-08-2007, 12:39 PM

They announced a price cut for the 360 this past week. If you're thinking of getting one, I'd wait for the price drop which I believe is going to happen sometime this month.

Grasshopper
08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm not thinking of getting anything, I was just using that as an example.

Edit: 360 price dropped Wednesday.

erm2003
08-09-2007, 06:30 AM
You know, another thing to also consider is what games are also available on the VC too. Don't forget to check those out because obviously the price point is a lot less on those and there are some really great games you can get there too on top of some of the Wii titles out there.

Darth Marsden
08-10-2007, 03:49 AM
1) I wouldn't be online, so VC would be useless.
2) I can't really rent VC games to make sure they're worth buying.
3) It's kinda pointless if I can just download the ROMs...