PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone here still play a quest on the original Tileset?

LostInHyru1e
08-02-2007, 07:56 PM
The reason I'm asking is because... well, I see that most of the quests published more recently are using newer, flashier, better-looking tilesets and sprites. However, trying to get them into a game and then also create custom tiles to match it is driving me up a wall, so I plan to create a quest with the original LoZ tileset, slightly modified.

The Quest's name will be Legend of Zelda: Eternal Winter, inspired by one of my FanFiction stories, and it will, if everything goes according to plan, have 1 full overworld and another half of an overworld, and at least 10 dungeons. If you were to assume the gameplay was good, would any of you still play a quest like that? I don't want to waste my time creating a quest nobody would play.

I really need your opinions,
~LostInHyru1e

Zelda_Warrior
08-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Well I had one ready for release but I lost it to due harddrive problems while waiting for a 'raft fix' of 2.11...

LostInHyru1e
08-02-2007, 08:18 PM
...That didn't really answer my question. ;)

Zelda_Warrior
08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
If it lets you know, it means that I'd play it.

Hopefully, most people that make a quest with a certain tileset would play one that uses that tileset.

It's not so much the classic tileset that people dislike, but the flashiness. You don't get a cool intro screen pre-built tiles or anything with the classic set. But i'm sure if you made your own sprites, inventory, etc. then people wouldn't mind the actual tiles (doors, walls, etc.)

Pineconn
08-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I would absolutely play a quest that has the original tileset. Graphics don't make the quest/game, in my opinion. One could easily make an excellent quest with the LoZ tileset and a crappy quest with Pure.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I agree, nothing wrong at all with oldschool tilesets. Just as long as the whole game isn't just a slightly modified version of the original or anything TOO close to it, it's fine.

LostInHyru1e
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
No, definately not the same as the original LoZ. This one has a COMPLETELY different overworld, a different plot, and... it's set in eternal winter. :)

As for creating my own sprites, I don't really know what you mean. I have trouble creating anything besides regular tiles, and only regular tiles that I would use to make it seem like snow is falling or that I would need for a custom boss, which I'm trying to put a few of in my quest.

Anyway, it's good to know that there are a lot of people who won't dismiss a quest simply for its graphics, as mine are bound to be less than metiocre.

Gleeok
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I would absolutely play a quest with classic tiles. I love the classic tiles. Make it!

LostInHyru1e
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Yes, I actually like those original tiles as well. It's very easy for you to make extra tiles to go in with it(such as "Snow" that appears to be falling) because with the small palletes, your tiles will never look inferior to the rest of the landscape.

Well, Eternal Winter starts is production today! Well... it's kind of been started for a few weeks, but it's being announced today. :)

Anarchy_Balsac
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
To be honest, I took the tiles that are of superior quality to original LOZ tiles(such as the hookshot graphic) and downgraded them to be on par instead. Mixing 8-bit and 12-bit graphics didn't sit well with me.

LostInHyru1e
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
...I haven't downloaded any graphics. :) I'm just using the originals, and creating a few tiles here and there. I'm connecting a LOT of strings, so I think this should have a decent plot, because everyone talks so much...

Mitsukara
08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Speaking as someone who only really lurks around ZC, I see no reason not to play a classic tileset quest.

If you're worried, one thing you can do that might help make it stick out a little bit would be to take advantage of all the unused color palllete slots that the classic tileset has; just add some extra colors to things and jazz up the NES sprites slightly. Like Phantom Menace's old "Demo Quest". Stick in yellow, green, black, white, etc. It's pretty easy to do and you don't have to override any of the original sprites/colors you don't want to mess with.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-02-2007, 11:05 PM
...I haven't downloaded any graphics. :) I'm just using the originals, and creating a few tiles here and there. I'm connecting a LOT of strings, so I think this should have a decent plot, because everyone talks so much...
Try not to have TOO much talking, and put the strings in rooms that the player is likely to only ever visit once. Plots are nice, but people wanna play the game too.

LostInHyru1e
08-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Try not to have TOO much talking, and put the strings in rooms that the player is likely to only ever visit once. Plots are nice, but people wanna play the game too.

The beginning is clogged with quite a lot of talking, but it should become less and less as the game goes on.

And Jennifer, I don't really know how I could edit the sprites... I'll fiddle with them, but I don't want to screw anything up beyond repair. :scared:

Gleeok
08-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Go to palletes-main and you'll see a butt-load of unused colors on the right of the normal ones. If you wan't to mess with colors I suggest going to palletes-levels and seriously messing up cset2 and view the results in a dungeon. don't worry, this is completely reversibla. :)

Anarchy_Balsac
08-02-2007, 11:51 PM
The beginning is clogged with quite a lot of talking, but it should become less and less as the game goes on.

It's fine to do that at the beggining when you're introducing the player to your game, or at certain other important points. Just cautioning against doing it all throughout.

Rakshiba
08-03-2007, 01:30 AM
The classic tileset is my favorite. I actualy prefer quest using it.

Zelda_Warrior
08-03-2007, 01:30 AM
What I like to do is take existing palettes, and take the colors but change them. (Like if it has 2 shades of green, one brighter n one darkner, I'll make whatever is green, black. Or something. And they'd shade in the same order.)

Easiest way to make palettes that don't look like crap

LostInHyru1e
08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm still confused about the palletes. Editing them sounds more confusing. :)

And I just found out about the "next" feature a couple of days ago, so now when I want to, I can layer moving "snow" over my screens, to give it a more wintery-feel. It's stuff like that that I can't believe they didn't take advantage of in the original Legend of Zelda.

X-Theta
08-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Talking or message strings aren't bad as long as "Allow Fast Messaging" is enabled. I've played games that have this feature disabled and I feel like getting up to use the restroom or something. Fast Dungeon Scrolling is also a must. Just out of curiosity, does anyone like scrolling messages ? I would prefer it display immediately at the touch of a button.

I like the vintage sprites. The newer ones are more cartoon-like. Here's an idea, what if ZeldaClassic surpassed the graphics resolution of "Link to the Past", in the future...yet stays as a birds-eye-view game. In other words no 3D versions.

LostInHyru1e
08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
3-D versions would be WAY too hard to make. You can't use "tiles" anymore, you would need to design every room from scratch. With one or two people working on a quest... you'd need a couple of years to make a 3-dungeon quest, and by that time, the 3-D graphics you're using are probably going to be outdated!

And yes, I have "Allow Fast Messaging" enabled. I don't know what Fast Dungeon Scrolling is, however.

X-Theta
08-06-2007, 01:22 AM
It was just an idea. If I remember correctly, Fast Dungeon Scrolling prevents the delay between screen transitions. I would be interested to see someone try and improve on the classic tileset.

Gleeok
08-06-2007, 02:22 AM
It was just an idea. If I remember correctly, Fast Dungeon Scrolling prevents the delay between screen transitions. I would be interested to see someone try and improve on the classic tileset.

Well. I've been working on one, but it's nowhere near done. I have been wondering what people would like to see in a new set in the style of the classic. Would anyone care two donate 2 cents to the "save the classic foundation"? ;)

Joe123
08-06-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm still confused about the palletes. Editing them sounds more confusing. :)

And I just found out about the "next" feature a couple of days ago, so now when I want to, I can layer moving "snow" over my screens, to give it a more wintery-feel. It's stuff like that that I can't believe they didn't take advantage of in the original Legend of Zelda.

by the 'next' feature, are you referring to combo cycling? because combos don't cycle on layers.

And back to the original question, I usually tend to play game with more advanced graphics, but I was playing return to the darkworld by erm2003 recently, which uses the classic tileset. I think I find it more important that the designer hasn't cut any corners in making it look professional; if you need to layer one tile over another in the tile editor to make it look right, even if you only use that graphic once, I think it's worth the extra effort every time.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't know what you mean when you say combos don't cycle on layers, because they do... or, at least they do in ZQ2.10, which is what I'm using. I put the snow on layer 5 and it cycles perfectly in the tests I run for it on Zelda Classic. It looks like the snow is falling.

I see that Return to the Dark World uses the original Tileset, and yet I still think it looks like a solid quest, which I think a lot of people played.

Russ
08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Combos do not cycle on layers, but they animate. Combo animation is when one combo uses multiple tiles, like falling snow. Combo cycling is when one comb changes into another combo.

And for the original question, I absoluty love the classic tileset. I wouldn't decide not to play a quest just because it uses the classic tileset. In fact, my favorite quest uses classic graphics (Never mind the fact that I'm copying it screen by screen into a newer tileset). But anyways, most people won't care what tileset you use.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Oops, I guess I got Combo Animation and Combo Cycling confused. :) I guess I'm doing the animation.

And I'm really glad that nobody would dismiss a quest for being on a lousy tile-set.

I have a question... I see a lot of threads in the Quest Announcement/Discussion titled "Blah-blah-blah Demo." What would a Demo usually include? Would it just be an incomplete version of the quest, or would it be its own Qst file, with a compressed overworld or one dungeon? I don't understand.

AmazingAmpharos
08-06-2007, 07:15 PM
to Gleeok, what is the need? The new classic is quite the upgrade from the old classic, and IMO tweaking it is a better idea than replacing it.

I'd definitely play a classic quest, though I don't think looking at it as a "classic quest" is a good idea if all you are using are the graphics. Make the quest focused on your unique gameplay ideas, not the tileset!

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
It's definately going to take advantage of new features and items, if that's what you mean. :)

Gleeok
08-06-2007, 09:38 PM
to Gleeok, what is the need? The new classic is quite the upgrade from the old classic, and IMO tweaking it is a better idea than replacing it.

I'd definitely play a classic quest, though I don't think looking at it as a "classic quest" is a good idea if all you are using are the graphics. Make the quest focused on your unique gameplay ideas, not the tileset!

Yes, the new default has a bunch of new stuff which is much needed, but who said anything about replacing it? Every other tileset gets upgraded, and variants come out from those, yet for the most part the classic remains the same. Suppose your someone like me for a second, and want to make a quest with classic tiles but not a typical romp through Hyrule, 9 dungeons...Ganon, save the princess, yada yada. What invariably happens to me, i've realized, is that I run out of tiles really fast. You can only use the brick looking combo so many times before everything looks the same. Thus I give up on it because imagination becomes greater than the means to implement it. Try making future worlds, sewer levels, or sky fortresses with the current classic sets. It's pretty hard. Especially with three colors.

Plissken
08-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I really don't know if I would play a classic style quest now. I mean if multiple people recommended it to me I might check it out, but they just don't appeal to me anymore.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, Plissken, that was what I was afraid most people would say. I'm glad not everybody thinks like that. :) Though I understand where you're coming from.

And only now am I realizing how astoundingly repetitive my Overworld looks. I tried doing it all in the snowy-looking CSet, because... well, it's an Eternal Winter, but it's kind of repetitive.

There will, however, be a second Overworld(darkworld/sacred realm) that will take advantage of all of the CSets.

Plissken
08-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Well what I'm trying to say is that graphics aren't everything to me, but after playing and designing quite a lot of stuff for the Classic set I just don't see the draw as I did before. I used to think that it looked sweet but seeing more and more of the same stuff bores me. At least in the more drawn out tilesets there are more effects that can make similar areas look different. Like in classic I never saw big differences in graveyards because there isn't a lot of stuff you can do with it. But in stuff like Pure and DoR you can add different trees and clouds and lighting effects.

I'm not saying that I just flat out will never play a classic quest. But I am saying that they don't draw me in like they used to.

EDIT: Oops, read your post wrong. I thought you said "I don't understand where you are coming from." I guess that makes this whole post pointless. Well unless you want to look more into the reason.

LostInHyru1e
08-06-2007, 11:39 PM
I can definitely understand where you're coming from on that. :)

Gleeok
08-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Well what I'm trying to say is that graphics aren't everything to me, but after playing and designing quite a lot of stuff for the Classic set I just don't see the draw as I did before. I used to think that it looked sweet but seeing more and more of the same stuff bores me. At least in the more drawn out tilesets there are more effects that can make similar areas look different. Like in classic I never saw big differences in graveyards because there isn't a lot of stuff you can do with it. But in stuff like Pure and DoR you can add different trees and clouds and lighting effects.

Well that's why most people use pure I guess. Hah! How about an Extreme makeover: Classic set special.

...well it's still fun to play classic quests IMO, just too constricting for building large quests with, for me at least. Therefore I will release whatever the hell i'm working on, completed or no, whenever I complete it. If that makes sense. :googly:

And only now am I realizing how astoundingly repetitive my Overworld looks. I tried doing it all in the snowy-looking CSet, because... well, it's an Eternal Winter, but it's kind of repetitive.

I believe there's a couple of things over at PureZC that are "classic". Like more trees, rocks, that sort of stuff. Can't remember exactally though.

LostInHyru1e
08-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Hmm... well, my second overworld should make up for that. Partly.

I also plan to have a rather large ocean to the right of my map, five screens by 8 screens. The raft will be used a lot, and there will be a lot of islands with sidequests.

Plissken
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
That sounds pretty cool. I love quests with separate islands like that.

LostInHyru1e
08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, it instantly appealed to me too, as soon as I thought of it. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda Game by Nintendo, and I knew that I couldn't have the ENTIRE overworld be seperate islands, but a big Ocean that takes up 1/4 of the overworld full of islands and sidequests still sounds like fun to me. :) I don't know how other people will like it, though.

LostInHyru1e
08-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I want thoughts on my Title Screen for Eternal Winter. It will revolve around four title screens at 10-second intervals until the player presses down.

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/?action=view&current=zelda017.jpg

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/?action=view&current=zelda062.jpg

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/?action=view&current=zelda064.jpg

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/?action=view&current=zelda063.jpg

Gleeok
08-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Why not use all 4? You already drew the screens. Maybe timed warp for 3 sec. between each..? hmm.

LostInHyru1e
08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
...That's what I said. It will revolve - meaning swap between the four - at ten second intervals of timed warps. That uses up the side-warp, however, so I needed to duplicate the walk-through mountain tile and make the new one "Directed Warp" so that when the player presses down, s/he is warped by the tile warp.

Russ
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Okay, like you requested in the screenshots thread, I have made a small example quest on how to make basic custom bosses. You can download it here. http://www.freewebs.com/russad/custom%20boss%20example.qst

Unfortunatly, my computer does not run ZC 2.10, so I built it in alpha build 509. Download it here. (http://shardstorm.com)

LostInHyru1e
08-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I thank you very much for posting that, Russadwan, but I'm not allowed to download any other whole builds... would it run on 2.10?

Russ
08-10-2007, 02:01 AM
I just updated the link. I used the save as 2.10 feature, but I am not sur if it works. If it doesn't IDK's tutorial has a section on custom bosses. I'll post a link later, but I got to go.

Banon
09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm making a quest with the original tile set right now, and I have to say that it is a lot of fun. When you complete it, I'll make sure to try it out.

DarkLink867
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
I personally think the classic is one of the best. I've already made one in classic (which hopefuully will be released before Halo 3).

King Aquamentus
09-21-2007, 01:01 AM
That's not even a question! half the quests I play are in the original tileset. I don't know why, I mean I have nothing against the others...

Imprisoned
10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know why, but I don't feel like it. I'm kinda the more modern person, but not that graphics would be the most important factor in games, I just think that the classic tileset is, well, old. I do keep gameplay/controlling and storyline more important than the graphics, but hey, I think it has to get better too.

LinkMaster500
10-05-2007, 02:17 AM
Remember that just because a quest says it uses the Classic tileset does not mean that ONLY classic tiles are used. What I am doing with my quest is using the classic tiles to go along with other tiles (for things like towns).

Russ
10-05-2007, 08:57 PM
C'mon people, why is it everyone has such a grudge against the classic tileset? Yes, it's old. That's what makes it special. It's stood the test of time. And it can be so much easie to use than other tilesets. You can build a whole quest with one cliff combo with classic; using pure you need at least 20. And you can draw tiles that are absolute junk and they fit right in with the tileset. So what is so bad about it?

DarkDeath
10-06-2007, 01:49 PM
^ Exactly!

I'm gonna make a quest in classic its gonna have a different style then other quests too, having a different style of play can enhance quests. Its the quality and fun factor. Not all have to be traditional to zelda either.

LostInHyru1e
10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
"Eternal Winter Development Thread" is at the top of the page now, if anyone wants to see why I posted this thread to begin with.

DarkDeath
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I saw it but ok...

LostInHyru1e
10-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Yes, I know you did. It's just a heads-up for readers of the thread. ;)

ninjagaiden
11-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I love original tileset. The Enternal Winter demo was a solid quest. I really had trouble on the first sub dungeon. It was extremly tough with only three hearts. But if it was easy it wouldnt be a challenge and there for wouldnt be very fun. five stars from me. Cant wait to get back to it.

LostInHyru1e
11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow, I'm really glad you like it. I think I might make it a tiny bit easier in the real game, and there's a Custom Boss in Lv. 1 that I also need to make easier, because he's really hard right now.

I'm so glad you enjoy it! If you find any bugs or have any criticisms, please, tell me!