PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in a quest?

Zelda_Warrior
08-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I don't see this topic in the first few pages, but it seems like something that would've been asked not long ago. But anyways, what makes you want to continue playing a quest? Do you load it up and say 'nice graphics!' and it makes you play more? Do you load it up and say 'the graphics are OK, lets see how the gameplay is i guess' and then you beat the first dungeon and then decide the quest is very good?

Or do you load it up and hear very good title music (if it has one) or starting DMAP music (whichever one that may be) and nice SFX (if it has any modified ones) and decide that it makes you want to play it further?

What makes you decide what quest is good? There's so many ways you can decide what's good, I just suggested the three main things. It dosen't have to be at the beginning, either.

The question's very simmilar to the one in this thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98554) but it's a bit different. This one mainly focuses on first impressions.

Petoe
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I look for originality and "professionalism". Ok, it's hard to make a ZC quest to be either one of those, but what I mean is that if the quest is about collecting triforce pieces, saving Zelda, and the first boss in the game is Aquamentus, I will not play any further. There has to be some unique ZC tricks, interesting story or even some funny dialogue to keep me entertained. I have to admit that C-Dawg's Sabotage Dragoon is the only quest I have truly enjoyed playing. Every time there was a cutscene or a conversation, I felt entertained and kept wanting for more. And all the custom bosses, great music... stuff like that makes me want to play further and finish a custom quest. ^_^

But yeah, I'm a very demanding gamer and it takes a lot from a quest or a game to entertain me so do not listen to me, lol.

Anarchy_Balsac
08-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I particularly look for a challenge more than anything. But I prefer that "challenging" doesn't mean "You git to kill a 4-headed gleeok 2 with teh woodin sword, LOELZ". No I want to collect items and stuff too, and there are ways of making the game just as challenging as that, even with the items.

I also prefer challenging doesn't mean, irritate me and make me punch the screen. Don't "strategically use red bubbles to disable sword use", that's one I see a lot of talk about. It's not fun wandering around, not knowing when I can use the sword again. Again, there are ways of making there are ways of making it just as hard as you want to without doing that. Don't do stuff like force me to gather 999 rupees either, not unless you're going to give me din's fire for doing so, and not use bubbles to disable it, EVER.

This is why I play very few of other people's quests, a select few are direct challenge oriented, but they tend to do one of the above.

But yeah, I'm a very demanding gamer and it takes a lot from a quest or a game to entertain me so do not listen to me, lol.

Actually I know what you're saying, my standard isn't so high, but on the other hand, I don't mind seeing the things you talked about either. It certainly doesn't make a quest any worse to follow that advice.

Zelda_Warrior
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Well I forgot to say what makes me keep on playing a quest!

For me it's in the way things are unique. Do your dungeons have perfect sqare or single-linear layouts? Do all of your rooms have a block in every corner and a triforce design in the middle, with X amonut of stalfoses and bubbles in it? Ok, maybe your quest is a bit better than that. Maybe some rooms have, ZOMG, 2 BLOCKS IN EVERY CORNER! Well, that dosen't really cut it. That's for dungeons.

I like unique overworlds too. Contrasting palletes, music, and enemies, and general terrain. That dosen't mean you need the usual icelands, volcanoes, and forests and swamps, though. Be creative.

If it meets all the above then its what makes me keep playing it. If its good enough it earns a 'play this again some other time' stamp from myself.

Rakshiba
08-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I manage to find something I love ,and somethimg I hate about every quest I've played. But The major two turnoffs are spending three hours to find the next dungeon, which you'll end up completing in one our max. And like how Anarchy Balsac said, Have to collect a mass amount of rupies to further your progress in a quest.

Things I do very much like though. When you walk into the first room of the first labyrinth, and your so pleasantly greeted by Gleeok or Aquementus. Authors who submit quest with creativity(Say a four headed gleok isn't enough... Stack two Gleeoks on top of each ohter :D). Someone thats not afraid to use Darknut Deathnights in the fourth Labyrinth. And finaly the most important thing of all, once again quoting Anarchy Balsac... Chalenging NOT impossible.

Zelda_Warrior
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Things I do very much like though. When you walk into the first room of the first labyrinth, and your so pleasantly greeted by Gleeok or Aquementus. Authors who submit quest with creativity(Say a four headed gleok isn't enough... Stack two Gleeoks on top of each ohter :D). Someone thats not afraid to use Darknut Deathnights in the fourth Labyrinth. And finaly the most important thing of all, once again quoting Anarchy Balsac... Chalenging NOT impossible.

I must be missing something, because im afraid Darknut Deathknights in the fourth dungeon are a major turnoff to me, and they must be to you. because that sounds impossible unless the quest gives you max hearts or something...

Anarchy_Balsac
08-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Actually if the strategy is to evade them and it's made possible to do so, it's at least a plausible idea. And I never said challenging but not impossible. I like impossibly hard quests, just not ones that do it in an annoying way.

Rakshiba
08-03-2007, 01:36 AM
In my quest the fourth boss is a lone deathnight, but the are quite a few step ladder tiles to aid you. But it's still hard saying he fires swords quite eraticly.