PDA

View Full Version : Slash or Stab?

Gleeok
07-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Alright i've been thinking that there's mainly two types of ZC players. Those who like a challenge or a faster paced game, and those that prefer lots of puzzles. With some odd sub-category of those who need eye candy, those that prefer a deep story line, and players who care only about gameplay (such as myself) where graphics and epicness take a backseat to other graces. And with that i'd like to add slash or stab!

I've been waiting for Origin to come out because of the Extreme 3rd mode said to be challenging. But you start with the slash. It seems all the recent challenge quests make you start with the sword slash from the get go. Aaarg! I suspect that all (or most) of you challenge type players out there prefer the stab over slash. (all five of you) ;p Just a hunch. To me it feels akward using the slash and I think it's vastly inferior to the stab. What do you prefer?

Also if DFW reads this how about a version of Origin with the stab. Huh, huh. Whadya think. (Because whining equals reward....right.) ;)

Anarchy_Balsac
07-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I prefer stab. Dunno about the other 4 ;).

But seriously, slashing with the master sword is just too much power to try and make a challenge out of. I'm sure it can be done but still it's kind of excessive. Then again, so is din's fire. To each author their own.

The_Amaster
07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
It's gotta be progressive with me. You start out with stab, and later on get to upgrade to slash. Starting with slash just seems a bit wrong to me.

And I like a puzzle focus.

AmazingAmpharos
07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Stab is something I like due to familiarity. I'm well acquainted with Zelda 1's stabbing and all the ways to abuse it, but slashing as done in ZC is fairly new to me and feels a bit "sloppier" even if it is actually more combat efficient. I also tend to want to see the sword de-emphasized compared to Link's other weapons so increasing the combat efficiency of the sword isn't something that I like.

I like a good puzzle a lot, but in the end, solid gameplay is the most important thing to me. I certainly am quite unmoved by eye candy, but I really like anything that's "substance" be it puzzle solving, exploration, or fighting.

Pineconn
07-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Say you have a sword (or yardstick or twig) in real life. Do you swing it or stab with it?

Slash. Plus puzzles. Different/interesting puzzles will lure a gamer more so than a higher difficulty level will.

DarkDragon
07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Slash with puzzles. I'm the kind of player who thinks that enemies are best used to stop the player from getting bored as he travels between puzzles.

bigjoe
07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Stab it baby, stab it. And stab it good. ;) Slash makes things a bit too easy.

Joe123
08-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Slash. always. I find it akward to play with stab. I can do it, but it takes a while for me to get used to it, and I always find it quite a lot harder.

Petoe
08-05-2007, 05:24 AM
Slash it baby, slash it! And focus on puzzles too! ;)

Dlbrooks33
08-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Starting with Slash is the best, it was like that with all zelda games after 2.

Mega Link
08-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I like slash. Stabing is harder.

SpykStorm
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I like slash too.

ShadowMancer
08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Slash n' Puzzles, although I don't mind stab becomes slash latter in game, helps with the sense of progress. I also think that a good storyline makes a good game great, as I am a big RPG fan. Of course now with the new beta features I think it is much eaiser to make a more 'RPGish' Zelda quest while still haveing that great action/adventure feel.

Gleeok
08-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Interesting to point out the conflict between the idea that slash is more powerfull and the results of the poll thus far. Imagine playing something like demo quest with slash enabled. Would it even be beatable? An example scenario:

o o
o o
o X o
o o
x= Link

-Fighting a patra(big circle) using an "inside" tactic.

The eyes rotate CC, so utilizing double stab right to left would yeild multiple hits quickly disposing of the boss.

But with slash the same aproach would be down and left which is a bit trickier also because you generally don't want to have to move diagonally more than necesarry. Well, maybe it's just because I suck with the slash? I don't know. It's just weird having to press "right" because you want to attack upward.

LostInHyru1e
08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I prefer it to progress: start with stab and upgrade to slash, with more emphasis on puzzles than action. I don't like dying a million times to get through, but being stuck on a puzzle doesn't bother me as much.