View Full Version : The Soulblazer/Gaia Trilogy

Patrick Spulock
07-28-2007, 06:28 PM
I remeber playing the ROMs for Soulblazer,Illusion Of Gaia,and Terranigma
But I never thought they were a loosely tied together trilogy,but
I think It was dissapoint that Terranigma was never released in the U.S.A

Warlock
07-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I think I tried Soulblazer once and couldn't get into it. But Illusion of Gaia is absolutely one of my favorite games. I'm really hoping to see that one show up on Virtual Console.

AtmaWeapon
07-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Never played Soulblazer but I've played through almost all of Illusion of Gaia and loved it. The first time it was a rental and I sucked at games and Game Genied my way as far as I could. The second time was on an emulator and for some reason after working really hard several hours after school (also sometimes skipping school) I quit after getting through a significant portion of the game.

I really wish I had bought it when I had the chance; I remember it was relatively cheap and came with a T-shirt and I'm sad that I passed on it.

I've played through a good chunk of Terranigma but for some reason it just didn't feel right. I think I ended up getting stuck in a lot of dungeons because the proper path of progression was obscure or something, kind of like that one in the sky in Illusion of Gaia but instead on EVERY level.

erm2003
07-29-2007, 01:10 AM
I loved Illusion of Gaia. I hope it comes on the VC too because my cartridge is broken and long gone. It was one of the best games I had for the SNES.

That being said, if you haven't tried it, make sure you do. It was one of the greatest Action/RPGs for the system.

MottZilla
07-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Cartridges rarely really break. What happened to it? Put peanut butter in the bottom of it?

Glenn the Great
07-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Cartridges rarely really break. What happened to it? Put peanut butter in the bottom of it?

Yeah, I can personally attest that this is the only way I've ever managed to break one of my cartridges.

But anyway, I enjoyed all 3 games in the trilogy, but Gaia was my least favorite. I found it rather simple and easy.

Modus Ponens
07-29-2007, 04:24 AM
This trilogy rocks my ass clean off. I hope that all three show up on the VC. I mean, Terranigma does already have an English translation (albeit for a PAL region...), so maybe they'll bring it over. It seems like every time my roommate and I discuss the VC, I end up mentioning how much I want them to release Terranigma.

Brasel
07-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Never played Soulblazer but I've played through almost all of Illusion of Gaia and loved it. The first time it was a rental and I sucked at games and Game Genied my way as far as I could. The second time was on an emulator and for some reason after working really hard several hours after school (also sometimes skipping school) I quit after getting through a significant portion of the game.

I really wish I had bought it when I had the chance; I remember it was relatively cheap and came with a T-shirt and I'm sad that I passed on it.

I've played through a good chunk of Terranigma but for some reason it just didn't feel right. I think I ended up getting stuck in a lot of dungeons because the proper path of progression was obscure or something, kind of like that one in the sky in Illusion of Gaia but instead on EVERY level.

I got the T-shirt. Illusion of Gaia was a really great game, but the ending was kind of disappointing in my opinion. I don't know what I was expecting. I played Soul Blazer on emulation when I was in Iraq, and I never finished it, but it was pretty good. I might have to go back and finish it one of these days.

erm2003
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM

I honestly don't remember exactly what happened to it. It was probably a combination of my parents moving and a younger brother getting to it. Either way I have no clue where the thing is now. If I do find it I may as well see if I can do anything about it. If it's released on VC though, I won't even care.

MrCow
07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Loved all three games. My lttp cart broke something inside broke I do believe.

DarkDragoonX
07-29-2007, 03:39 PM
The original Soulblazer is my favorite of the series. I actually didn't much care for Illusion of Gaia, but I found Terranigma to be excellent. Actually, there's a semi-sequel fourth game called The Granstream Saga. It's pretty damn good as well.

Modus Ponens
07-30-2007, 04:43 AM
I will shortly be acquiring this Granstream Saga. Thank you, DDX.

Cloral
07-30-2007, 12:33 PM

I once dunked a cartridge in water and hit it with a hammer and it still worked. The cartridge in question was Othello, which was pissing me the fuck off.

I think of the three, I liked Soul Blazer the best. It seemed like with each iteration the fighting mechanics improved somewhat, but the storyline got more wishy-washy. The nice thing about Soul Blazer is you had a clear-cut goal you were always working towards. And I liked how as you cleared the levels the cities would slowly get rebuilt.

MottZilla
07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Loved all three games. My lttp cart broke something inside broke I do believe.

It's extremely difficult to accidentally destroy a cartridge, especially the inside. All the cartridge contains is solid state memory (ROM) soldered to a circuit board. Ussually the fault is the contacts that go into the system get dirty or fucked up.

Glenn the Great
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Soulblazer is also my favorite.

It's a simple game that is easy to get into, and is extremely well-paced.

It is so satisfying to clear, and clear, and clear, constantly rebuilding the town, and then going and investigating what you've just rebuilt.

It's also full of many poignant philosophical messages. I just got so absorbed in the game, piecing together all this information about things that had just happened, and about the characters, in this world that used to be very lively that is now super-barren before you come along.

The game's pacing is wonderful. You never get stuck, and there are never any slow points in the game. The character progression is steady. When I got ahold of the game, I thought it was going to be crappy at first, but it quickly got good, and stayed good.

I played the game hard until I completed it 100%, and it was a satisfying experience.

ShadowTiger
07-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Considering that I played Terranigma first, then IoG, but had no idea the two were interrelated, I LOVED Terranigma like you wouldn't believe, and then found IoG to be near crap. Then I eventually played Soul Blazer, liked it quite a bit for its combat, and now, that tiny voice in the back of my head is telling me to try IoG again, though I doubt I have the time for it.

Patrick Spulock
08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
well guys.all I can tell you is that so far that Terranigmais my favorite and
maybe It because after you ressurect thr birds, and especially the first time
you see them it like you become emotionally attach to then{I can easily say the same thing about the animals}and It make you feel like you do not want to go onto the next chapter and I think that the music Is very Very Good.

Music From Terranigma 5/5 or Two Thumbs Up as Egbert and Roper would Put It.

Brasel
08-01-2007, 05:45 PM
The original Soulblazer is my favorite of the series. I actually didn't much care for Illusion of Gaia, but I found Terranigma to be excellent. Actually, there's a semi-sequel fourth game called The Granstream Saga. It's pretty damn good as well.

My buddy had Granstream Saga. I hadn't realized that it was part of the same line of games. I might have to hit him up and see if he still has it.

Patrick Spulock
10-06-2007, 07:12 PM
and I do have to confess that I am currenlty playing illusion of gaia as a rom
and so far I was doing great until the pyamid level

mrz84
10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
I've never played Soul Blazer. I've played Illusion a bit, but not too far. Then I found Terranigma. I give it 100 out of 10. :kitty: