PDA

View Full Version : whos the best single quest maker and why

hello
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I think freedom is. He's cool,nice,good at makeing quest,and all out good friend look for his masterpieses I love them.note=you have to be somewhat skilled to play his quests but dont take it from me play them your self.;)

phattonez
07-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Have you ever played Petoe's quests?

Why are you posting this here anyway?

Glenn the Great
07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Why are you posting this here anyway?

Because the poor thing doesn't know and can't know any better.

TheNewLink
07-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Quiet, it'll get moved eventually.

DarkFlameWolf. Hidden Duality DC and Lost Isle are made of win.
Then Petoe, mainly because he worked on Lost Isle too and I guess Mega Man DWR is good. Overrated like FF7 though.
After that, I guess Freedom. Good quests, and I like his jihad for a stable release.

Gleeok
07-27-2007, 12:59 AM
It's no big deal guys, but hello next time post this topic in quest discussion. (not trying to rent-a-mod or anything)

I prefer the old school challenge quests, and don't generally like walking around in circles for hours without knowing where to begin looking for the next dungeon. (I don't believe the player should be punished with boredom for playing a video game)Therefore I personally cannot claim that DFW, Peteo, or similar designers are the best IMO based on my own preferences, even though the majority would surely disagree with me on this. They do make very solid awesome quests, don't get me wrong, I do like them.

I've also noticed a pattern emerging of constricting, massive, mega layered, maze-like overworlds (mostly pure) that have a dugeon feel to them. As if there are design commandments written on some stone monolith that is the archtype for what is a "well designed" quest.

I believe that imagination is all anyone needs to be a great designer, and I also believe Freedom fits most of the descriptions I have presented the closest. So I second the vote for Freedom. My three favorite quests to date however are the work of Nightmare with DemoEX, JQ1, and JQ2. He is too underated in my opinion, although to most people his work is a bit too hard, and to them I say "we'll other quests are too easy". ;)

Sam Atoms
07-30-2007, 04:06 AM
This question would have been up for debate as recently as three months ago, but as of now DarkFlameWolf tops the charts easily for Origin as well as her contributions to Lost Isle. Those two recent releases have gently reminded us "Who's Now".

Gleeok
07-30-2007, 04:28 AM
Yeah especially now with LI and Origin. I mean the list of completed quests by DFW is daunting. It's pretty ridiculious when you think about it. I still have trouble believing it, especially since i'm still trying to finish one myself.

On the flip side though, There are some pretty darn good single quests made by one-time quest makers. They'll definately get played less because no ones heard of them, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. I've come across a few of these gems.

Anarchy_Balsac
07-30-2007, 05:23 AM
I say nightmare. Just because someone made 100000 quests doesn't make them the best by default.

erm2003
07-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I say nightmare. Just because someone made 100000 quests doesn't make them the best by default.

I am not looking to discredit Nightmare, but judging that this post is referring to the comments above, have you ever played the quests by DFW, Petoe, or Freedom? It has nothing to do with how many quests they have completed. They are all quality because they have taken the time to see what ZC can really do. They are truly some of the best here and you should take the time to play their quests before making a comment like that.

Try the newest release by DFW and Petoe, Lost Isle. It will suck you in immediately.

Anarchy_Balsac
07-30-2007, 07:02 AM
No, but of the few quests I've played, demoex WAS my favorite. I tend to play little custom quests because it seems most are way too puzzle oriented and I am not a puzzle game type. As it is, I never finished demoex because I can't find the boss key in level 4, but I like the pulse pounding challenge aspect enough to at least still enjoy it a lot. I'll even admit that I cheated(found level 3 cheat code) through all the puzzles I could(using flippers before I even had the stepladder in level J for instance). I just don't like sitting around trying to figure out how to find stuff.

As for lost isle, I may be inclined to try it, but due to requiring a new ZC version, it'll have to wait till I'm done with the quest I am making.

Luigi
07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Personally, I think Prince MSC deserves a mention - the two Revenge quests were ground-breaking in terms of the creation of block puzzles without the push block flags seen in todays' quests, and Revenge 2 was, IIRC, the first quest to use dungeon doors in locations other than the 4 standard places.

Add to that they were both 1.90 (although R1 started out in 1.84) proved that advanced quests could be made in an old version of ZC.

I just wished he finished that quest he started years ago - what was it, again? Mystic..Land?

Freedom
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think Prince MSC deserves a mention - the two Revenge quests were ground-breaking in terms of the creation of block puzzles without the push block flags seen in todays' quests, and Revenge 2 was, IIRC, the first quest to use dungeon doors in locations other than the 4 standard places.

Add to that they were both 1.90 (although R1 started out in 1.84) proved that advanced quests could be made in an old version of ZC.

I just wished he finished that quest he started years ago - what was it, again? Mystic..Land?

I have to agree, Mysticland did more to inspire me then any quest out there.

ShadowTiger
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
There was this one quest by Aegis Runestone waaaaay back in "the day" that actually caused me to phone over some friends to come check it out because it had better graphics, better music, and a better feel than any other custom quest out there. Then they came over and told me that the music was the Hyrule Field theme from Ocarina of Time. :p The quest also had graphics that I believe DoY had later used.

And yes, Mystic Land was the bees' collective knees. Prince did quite a few things few had ever even thought of before. It was the Lost Isle of 2004.

Petoe
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
C-Dawg deserves a mention too. He may have only finished one custom quest, but his Sabotage Dragoon demo was awesome, and C really knows how to use ZC to its fullest extent. The only complaint I have about his work is that he doesn't seem to care about bugs that much, but other than that the guy is a genius when it comes to presentation, quest design and telling a good story. :)

SpacemanDan
07-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Shoelace yet. He may have only released one quest, but it certainly is something out there.
I also enjoy DFW's barrage of quests simply because they're solid and fun, Peteo's quests, even if I did give up on MMDWR because my saves got wiped, and Mr.Z, whoose work is solid and enjoyable.

DarkFlameWolf
07-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes, how could anyone forget Mr Z. He was purely awesome. He could be someone great...if only he released another quest and stopped being lazy. :P

hello
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes so I now figure out that theres no single best zc qst maker theres mutiple.freedom,mr.z,dfw,shoelace,peteo,lelen(my fav are in this order)But theres more i'm sure but I just havent been able to play qsts in the zc=questdatabace-it's still down when will they fix it.

DarkFlameWolf
07-30-2007, 05:41 PM
www.purezc.com has an awesome database for you to browse.

Russ
07-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I'd say the best quest maker is Pineconn. All his puzzles are at just the right difficulty level: there hard, but they don't make you want to rip out your hair in frustration. And then Shoelace comes second.

jman2050
07-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm personally a C-Dawg quest fanboy. I could elaborate all my reasons why, but I'll save everyone the trouble.

DFW is definitely a good quest maker, though some of her design decisions in quests can be a bit irritating (You REALLY overdid it with the fireball statues in Origin >_> ) but overall, the good far outweighs the bad.

Petoe is awesome as well. He reminds me of C-Dawg in some of his design philosophies, but possesses his own unique touches. MMDWR was great, of course, and I don't need to elaborate on the awesomeness of LI. DFW and Petoe did a good job on that quest.

Besides them, Freedom makes some simple but well designed quests, Mr. Z is a legend, Radien has much potential, Shoelace did awesome with Hero of Dreams... can't think of anyone else right now :P

hello
07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
www.purezc.com has an awesome database for you to browse.I've already been there how do you think i've played all the peoples qsts i've named as my favs includeing you DFW:)

elise
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
can't think of anyone else right now :P
After all the people already named you also have
Vargen who made a real surprising quest nemel and Hero of fire with hero of elements , mudvayne with his german quest
Just 3 questmakers that came out of the blue with a real good Quest ;)
There are a lot of very good questmakers with good stable quests with all their own players that think thats the best Quest they ever played ;)
Thats whats make ZC such a nice quest to play the many different questmakers
all with there own unique way of making quests , there is a quest for everybody that fit their skills and their preference in how a quest should be . ;)

Zelda_Warrior
08-02-2007, 02:39 AM
After all the people already named you also have
Vargen who made a real surprising quest nemel and Hero of fire with hero of elements , mudvayne with his german quest
Just 3 questmakers that came out of the blue with a real good Quest ;)
There are a lot of very good questmakers with good stable quests with all their own players that think thats the best Quest they ever played ;)
Thats whats make ZC such a nice quest to play the many different questmakers
all with there own unique way of making quests , there is a quest for everybody that fit there skills and there preference in how a quest should be . ;)

That's probably the best response so far.

You can't have 'a best anything'. when it comes to creating things. If you are an actor you aren't necesarrily doing it solely on your own, which is why you can have 'best' actors. But when you make something solely on your own then you cannot have 'best' authors. The only 'best' you can be is what appeals to people. It's a personal choice. The closest you can get to being best is by being considered the best by majority.

But Freedom always struck me as a good quest maker, when i started out too.