View Full Version : Yahoo! Slurp Spiders

Sam Atoms
07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I've been wondering if anyone else has noticed that there are 50-100 of these things on this site at any given moment. In fact, it seems like there are 3 times as many Yahoo search bots as there are people. It feels just a little creepy, like in the Matrix when all those spider-like robots are crawling around using their lasers to cut up the Nebuchadnazzar. It's one of the major reasons I've been very reluctant to divulge any amount of personal information here, since one has to think, "who knows where it's going to end up".

Anyone else know, or even wonder, what all these Yahoo search bots are doing here?

Gerudo
07-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Personal information online is always a valid concern.. The slurp spiders have been doing that for a while now. Must be Yahoo stepping up their search game by sending out exponential amounts of data mining bots...

vB has an option to assign spiders to a certain usergroup. on my site, bots are treated as banned members, therefore dont see much of the site.

phattonez
07-26-2007, 02:12 AM
How can you tell that all of the guests are Yahoo spiders?

Glenn the Great
07-26-2007, 02:46 AM
The spiders come to your site, and then they start tearing up your data in the places you probably won't notice. It's called "Data Mining" for this reason. Then they take that data, and use it to construct more of their kind, which then leave to feed off other sites, multiply, on and on.

If these spiders are not stopped, they will multiply out of control. They are already starting to develop a seed AI, and before you know it, they'll be hive-minded and consume the Net, then start to leak out into the physical world via factory uplinks.

I've warned you.

The_Amaster
07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
If these spiders are not stopped, they will multiply out of control. They are already starting to develop a seed AI, and before you know it, they'll be hive-minded and consume the Net, then start to leak out into the physical world via factory uplinks.

The sad part is, I can actually see that heppening, given enough time.

I'm torn between caring and saying screw it. It is creepy though.

Pineconn
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
How can you tell that all of the guests are Yahoo spiders?

Go to the main forum page, then scroll all the way down. Under the What's Going On? box, click on Currently Active Users.

I personally don't care about these data miner/tracking cookies that download into my compy. I just use Ad-Aware SE and it deletes 'em for me.