PDA

View Full Version : sodium laurel sulfate in toothpaste

cbailey78
07-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Why would they put that stuff in toothpaste so it screws up your taste buds? I mean you know after brushing your teeth, it makes orange juice taste so SOUR that you think it's toxic!

AtmaWeapon
07-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Now this may just be the product of being a backwards individual but I'm usually not in a race to see how much sugar or otherwise sticky liquids I can apply to my teeth after I just expended the effort of brushing them.

Modus Ponens
07-24-2007, 01:57 AM
I don't think it's the SLS that makes OJ taste bad, I think it's the flavor of the toothpaste. OJ tastes the same way after eating a mint or chewing mint gum, too.

AlexMax
07-24-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm usually not in a race to see how much sugar or otherwise sticky liquids I can apply to my teeth after I just expended the effort of brushing them.

No, you're OK, you're just not a disgusting human being.

p.s. posting on the forums on a wii is a huge pain in the ass..,

Trevelyan_06
07-24-2007, 02:50 AM
They use the stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_laureth_sulfate) as an effective and cheap cleaner to those pearly whites of yours clean. As Atma pointed out, they generally assume that the consumer using the toothpaste will be doing so after they have eaten in an effort to remove food particles and various other things from thier teeth. I believe it's safe to say they don't think many people would want a nice big glass of orange juice right after they brush thier teeth.

Glenn the Great
07-24-2007, 03:50 AM
p.s. posting on the forums on a wii is a huge pain in the ass..,

That's why it's called a gimmick. Or as Nintendo likes to call it, an "experience".

phattonez
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Don't you feel stupid drinking or eating something right after you brush your teeth?

Cloral
07-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah. That's why I don't do it.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Why would they put that stuff in toothpaste so it screws up your taste buds? I mean you know after brushing your teeth, it makes orange juice taste so SOUR that you think it's toxic!
I'm pretty sure they don't put it in there specifically for this purpose.

There are lots of chemicals found in different foods that interact with each other and cause bizzare tastes. Cranberries (cranberry sauce, for instance) make water taste terrible. Grapefruit makes all sorts of things goofy tasting. It's no surprise to me that toothpaste, an obviously unnatural substance, makes things taste bad.

Here's an idea: try drinking the OJ first, and then brushing. Just don't complain because your toothpaste tastes bad.

phattonez
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Grapefruit just tastes weird on its own. If you want a good tasting toothpaste, you need to get it with baking soda.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Grapefruit usually isn't a favorite, but I find the Ruby Red Texas variety to be very enjoyable. I'll grant you that other varieties are never as good.

Also, I find that toothpaste tastes fine, as long as you expect it to taste like toothpaste. If you're looking for something that tastes good, brush your teeth with peanut butter.

Lilith
07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
SLS is in all your shampoo/soaps/cleaning products etc because it makes the product foam and clean better. It is an irritating substance though, and can fuck with your skin/hair sometimes because it's basically detergent. You can also buy products without SLS, but from what I've tried, it doesn't a huge difference other than you have to use more of the product since it doesn't foam.

AtmaWeapon
07-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Why do they put that stuff in shampoo? When I soak my hair in orange juice it makes it get all sticky!

Lilith
07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
So it foams, fag. Try sulfate-free, it doesn't foam at all :(

Mitsukara
07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I actually know exactly what you mean. It makes all food taste either really dull or like absolute shit. I wish I would remember to do it at regular intervals instead of randomly going "oh yeah I should go brush my teeth" during the day.

Isn't shampoo supposed to foam so as to actually get through the individual hairs better?

Aegix Drakan
07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Why do they put that stuff in shampoo? When I soak my hair in orange juice it makes it get all sticky!

ROFL

I mean, don't you know? Sticky hair is the new "in thing". XD