PDA

View Full Version : James quest 1. -Succesfull speed run. and the resulting spam it spewed forth.

Gleeok
07-24-2007, 01:26 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/65eb542b016bd88e9513ffa31890940b4g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=6wh9snay9t0&thumb=4
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/f2613b9033b3c73d5913ca20ba1ee3834g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=fx1mtgmry2y&thumb=4
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/d95622809c1c9760ffad40f505f6a5084g.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=duzyymftv5j&thumb=4

No tricks, nothing up my sleeve, no prestige. Link to J1, Check and mate.

-The result of a month of on and off testing on this quest, and a desire to gaze into the sun. This was actually supposed to be a test runthrough, but I was able to complete it with somewhat minimal errors. ( I did forget to get the book after I got the wand, and had to go back for it after lv8. Yeah, that was extremely stupid.) The original plan was to do it in 2:00:00 or less, and i'm pretty sure I could knock ten minutes off easy just by playing it in 2.10 due to the long bomb glitch, and at least ten more off just by not making dumb mistakes, but I am fairly certain this time will hold up as is. So therefore, I am retiring it.

...Oh, almost forgot. ...Read it and weep. :D

-Now commence worship!

jerome
07-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Way to go man!
Kind of funny how "speed runs" take so long to play out huh? There's more planning involved than just crash course the quest.

Gleeok
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Way to go man!
Kind of funny how "speed runs" take so long to play out huh? There's more planning involved than just crash course the quest.

Wow, a reply. I didn't think anyone cared...and one day there will be more than two of us. hehe, then every new quest submitted will be harder than the next. It will then get way out of control, and no one will play ZC again. Mwahahahahaha!!!
....umm...er..ahem.

So yeah, tell me about it. I actually have chicken scratch in a notebook that's basically a JQ1 speed run changelog. Crudely drawn maps, time manifesto, etc. I basically broke it into two parts: Level 1 through the whistle, and level 5 to Zenethia, with a sign reading "Gannon or bust". The tricky part was that after lv 5 the run changes depending on how many rupees you have any any given time. I was also lucky in this run to get 16 hearts due to many rupee drops, but squandered it with poor mistakes on my part. I still think a time of 2:15:00 is feasable enough though, but anything less would be pushing it.

This is completely out of nowhere but I was watching some speed runs of NES games on youtube, and wondering if there's a way to record ZC. Maybe someway to hook up to a tv and vcr or dvd? That might be a good plug for Zelda Classic. Just a thought.

jerome
07-26-2007, 11:20 AM
This is completely out of nowhere but I was watching some speed runs of NES games on youtube, and wondering if there's a way to record ZC. Maybe someway to hook up to a tv and vcr or dvd? That might be a good plug for Zelda Classic. Just a thought.

There is, but from what I hear you have to pay for the ones that will actually work well enough for you to do anything with them. If you look through the tons of Armageddon Forever threads on purezc you will probably find one. Or try to PM OUCH! and he may tell you. He used to to show everyone what rooms everyone was having trouble with, so he recorded himself and did it that way.

Toxic1210
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
i could easily record em right on a vcr, but thats becuase my computers video card (ATI Radeon 9550) hooks right up to my TV via a s-video cable.im guesin yours doesnt have that or youdve figured it out by now.im sure theres a program out there thatll let ya record it right off the comp.my snes emulator even does that.ill keep an eye here if ya find something lemme know, if not ill try to have somethin for ya in the next day or so. (too busy playin lost isle and origin at this time heh )i should be able to come up with something though.take care, congrats on the speed run.

patrickab7
07-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Where are the bow and white sword(or its equivalent) in this quest?

EDIT: Found the bow and I think I know where the next sword is...thanks anyway.

Gleeok
07-28-2007, 09:00 AM
i could easily record em right on a vcr, but thats becuase my computers video card (ATI Radeon 9550) hooks right up to my TV via a s-video cable.im guesin yours doesnt have that or youdve figured it out by now.im sure theres a program out there thatll let ya record it right off the comp.my snes emulator even does that.ill keep an eye here if ya find something lemme know, if not ill try to have somethin for ya in the next day or so. (too busy playin lost isle and origin at this time heh )i should be able to come up with something though.take care, congrats on the speed run.

Yeah, I don't have a video card. That sucks. Problem with the other is that i've got a Pentium III so if I had a CPU gobbling program running while playing ZC, I'd get some serious slowdown. It wouldent even be playable. I'll figure something out eventually. It's a good idea though. (I think)

Where are the bow and white sword(or its equivalent) in this quest?

EDIT: Found the bow and I think I know where the next sword is...thanks anyway.

Use the superbomb in the town to get the sword. Burn a tree to get the whistle.....after lv5 use the map to look where you haven't been if you get stuck. Good luck.

patrickab7
07-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Got them, thanks anyway...I've gotten pretty far, but if you hear a blood-curdling scream from around the Midwest, that's me hitting another snag. Good Lord, this quest is insane. Hopefully I get the third "sword" soon. I've completed the first four levels and have found the bracelet in Level 5, but then I got slaughtered trying to explore the overworld further...

Toxic1210
07-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I don't have a video card. That sucks. Problem with the other is that i've got a Pentium III so if I had a CPU gobbling program running while playing ZC, I'd get some serious slowdown. It wouldent even be playable. I'll figure something out eventually. It's a good idea though. (I think)

dont underestimate your p3.i too have a p3 and i had no problem recording myself finishing the last level of gradius 3.im sure thats prolly a lil more on screen stuff then zc and it came out fine with no slowdown at all.im still looking for a smaller recording program, ill keep ya posted.

patrickab7
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Nothing quite like scoring the final hit on a gazillion-headed Gleeok, only to get killed by the last fireball the thing launches.

Screw it, I'm trying Easy Quest. :)

Nightmare
08-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I think you finally beat Zeo's record. 'Grats Gleeok.

-James

patrickab7
08-26-2007, 01:27 AM
I did finally complete this quest, but I have one question...is there any way to get into the tower thingie in northeastern Endor(or whatever the second overworld is called)?

-PB

Gleeok
08-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Good question. I don't believe i've gotten in there either.
Nightmare, is there some kind of trick to it?

Nightmare
08-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah, basically you got to think a bit Dragon Warrior 4 Zelda styled a little bit.

Use the Red Candle to burn some bushes on some screens by it, then walk down the well. Hop on the transporter and wa-la, you're in.

-James

patrickab7
08-27-2007, 02:31 AM
OK, got that heart piece...now I just seem to be missing one more piece. Will check places that I thought I'd checked before, but if you could drop me a PM or something to clue me in, I'd be grateful...

Gleeok
08-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Oh that's right...I have gotten that on my first playthrough. It's the tree east by the dead-end right? I was thinking it was an uber-secret lv10 or something. I do have a question though, I played the wizardDC lv5 version a while back and remember something about an updated one playable till Necrosoro. Lv9, or Necro 1-4...I think, but I can't remember for the life of me where the link was. Is it still around?

patrickab7
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm on 21 hearts and 3 pieces, so I guess that means I'm missing one heart piece...I can list where I found the pieces I did. I've done pretty much everything except find that last heart piece and beat Ganon.

Nightmare
08-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm kinda at an artwork issue with Wizard DC and I'm not too fond of ZC 2.10.

I might do something with it somewhere else. Consider it cancelled at the moment.

While I'm holding onto the rights to James Quest 1 and 2 remakes, it would be nice if someone one of these days did a graphics remake of New Quest.

-James

Gleeok
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
That's too bad. :( I was looking forward to that one.

I have almost the complete DW 1-3 and DW remake (improved graphics) tiles. I'd be happy to send it too you if you want. It is however missing many sprites...I am not a good spriter. The palletes are easy to work with at least.
Let me know.

While I'm holding onto the rights to James Quest 1 and 2 remakes, it would be nice if someone one of these days did a graphics remake of New Quest.

It's funny, I have a copy of new and started making a 3rd quest for it. But I only got as far as lv3. I have way too many projects going right now, so i've been concentrating on only one of them along with bug-testing. It would be nice to see some more of those though.

patrickab7
08-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Found the last heart piece...KNEW there was something in that particular area, just didn't search thoroughly enough...

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-07-2008, 08:38 PM
where is the bow, and where is the letter. So far I have beaten 3 levels and I know where level 4 is but level 4 is just too tough without the white sword. I assume I get the white sword in a mini dungeon somewhere. I need the bow asap

Gleeok
01-07-2008, 11:37 PM
The bow is in 4. The letter is after lv5. If you're having trouble with lv4 then there's no way you can simply get the thorn whip(lv2 sword) first, it IS do-able though. lv4 is not that hard. Just use more bombs.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
ok thanks for answering me. I guess I did not skip anything then. so far I have 3 pieces of heart. 1 near by the town. 1 near level 3. and I forgot where I found the other piece. Thanks for answering me.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Ok I finally got thru level 4 and I got the level 2 sword. Now how do I beat that 20 headed gleeok in the mini dungeon above the town of kariko. Also where is level 5 at?

EDITED TO ADD
I beat the 20 headed gleeok in the mini dungeon, then got the whistle, then went back to level 1 to get the armor needed. I figured killing that bad guy in level 1 with the whistle would help me out and it did. Then I remember the riddle to blow the whistle where fairy lived. I went thru that mini dungeon to get to a new part on the map and found level 5. I also found 2 pieces of heart and a bomb upgrade. Now on to level 5 as I just found it.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I got thru level 5 beat it and got the bracelet and used it to find level 6. My question is where in the heck is the letter. I can not do level 6 without the letter and I think I looked everywhere for it that I can think of. I even found a superbomb shop after going thru the big cave travel.

Gleeok
01-09-2008, 12:06 AM
NE of level5, use the raft then wlk through the wall. ;)

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
many thanks gleeok. The riddle was in one of the take any road you want paths and I did not figure it out :(

Ok I need to know where the heck the ladder is. I have been in every room in level 6 and 7. Also so far I just have the regular boomer rang from level 6 and the level 3 sword in level 7. The ladder has to be somewhere in level 6 or 7.

EDITED TO ADD.

i COULD HAVE SWORN I BLEW A WHISTLE IN THAT 1 ROOM WITH THE SPIDERS. Geesh. Then a really weird glitch happened before I got the ladder. I used a supebomb in the room where the ladder is needed to cross then all of a sudden I can walk on water. I was able to complete the dungeon before I got the ladder. I think it was some whistle glitch actually.

wow 5 hours of wasted time geesh. I got the magical key in the mini dungeon now on to level 8.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok I am in level 8. I got the magical key in the optional dungeon. So far i found the bigger money bag and the compass. Right when I start the level I go up and see a shop but there is no item and no price. What the heck is going on? Someone at zelda classic told me that there is a dreaded shop bug. does this mean i am screwed?

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok I am stuck in this level 8 . z console did work I can buy the magical boomerrang for 750 rupees. So I am pretty sure i have whistled and bombed in every room in every direction in addition to trying to walk thru walls. I have gotten the money bag and compass but what do i do now? I have been in every direction and all roads seem to lead to dead ends. Any help will be much appreciated.

Gleeok
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
I really don't remember lv8 that well. It's pretty linear, you should be able to go straight through to the end. If you're still stuck your best bet is to post a screenshot of rooms you've visited from the subscreen. also whistle at all the dead ends.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-12-2008, 03:20 AM
I blew the whistle in the room where you get 5 rupees at the top left to open up the passageway. Earlier I blew the whistle in the top left square because it is different colored and it did nothing. So yeah that threw me off. I am thru level 8 with the magical boomerrang and the bigger money bag. was there anything else I missed in this level?

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Ok at level 9 I got to the room with dann denzestu. I think i did everything I could to him. Nothing happened. i got the helmet the wand the armor upgrade and the green arrow. What do i do to pass this room? Where the heck is gannon? some man told me gannon was getting away.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-12-2008, 07:00 AM
silly me he needed some meat. Wow is level 9 ever extensive.

LINK&ZELDA4EVER
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Ok I have a question I found an area after level 8 where there is water blocking the way to a castle. How do I get into that castle. The ladder will only take me so far. I havent found any flippers.