PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Local Emergency Management Agencies!

Trevelyan_06
07-23-2007, 04:55 AM
So I was laying in bed with the wife, reading the new Harry Potter book. Everything was quite peaceful, what with the nice cool breeze coming in from the window and the sounds of the night. That is, of course, until I noticed the sounds of a rumbling diesel engine and flashing lights right outside the bedroom window.

Upon further investigation I noticed that there was an SUV marked, "Collinsville Emergency Management Agency" and a man was busy taking road cones out of the back of it and placing them right behind my driveway to block off the road.

Needless to say I went out to ask what was up and was informed that there was a fire down the road and they were just blocking off the road as it was going to take the firefighters "quite a while to fight" and they needed to be able to move thier trucks around.

Let me be clear it saying that I'm not in the least bit upset with them blocking my driveway and road for the firefighters. I'm all for those guys getting all the help they can. However, it is a rather dis-quieting experience to look out your window at 3:30 in the morning and see a EMA truck outside your window setting up roadblocks in front of your house.

mrz84
07-23-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd find that dis-quieting too if it were me. OF course, I live out in the middle of the counrty. EMA vehicles only rarely come out here, but there was one time a few months after I moved out here that I woke up at midnight and looked out my window to see the next house down covered comletely in flames. And not the derogitory kind either. I was surprised by this, but I've never been able to find out how the fire started.

Glitch
07-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Should of walked out in full furry garb, they would of moved.

Archibaldo
07-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Lol, it's like in that episode of the simpsons when Homer gets his hands on some police tape and tapes it across Flanders' driveway. And when Ned gets home he thinks something bad has happened.

Brasel
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Lol, it's like in that episode of the simpsons when Homer gets his hands on some police tape and tapes it across Flanders' driveway. And when Ned gets home he thinks something bad has happened.

I hadn't seen that one. I think I might have to employ this tactic someday.

Trevelyan_06
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Turns out that the Christian High School behind our house caught on fire and had it's right wing burnt to the ground.

erm2003
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Oh wow, that's horrible. Have they found a cause yet? It would be awful if this is an arson.

Lilith
07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Man once on my birthday, literally 10 minutes before people would have started arriving for the party lightning struck a telephone pole outside my house and the entire area was immediately closed (pedestrian too) because of the live-wire. We had to cancel the pizza guy lol. It was crazy.

deathbyhokie
07-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Turns out that the Christian High School behind our house caught on fire and had it's right wing burnt to the ground.

For some reason I find this highly amusing

Aegix Drakan
07-23-2007, 10:49 PM
We had to cancel the pizza guy lol. It was crazy.

Good plan. You wouldn't want an overheated pizza, now would you? XD

Trevelyan_06
07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I didn't find anything on what the officals are saying, but the pastor of the church that owns the building thinks that it was vandals. Here's some linky (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/A90D534171336D9886257321003E0B79?OpenDocument) goodness for ya.

AtmaWeapon
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Today on my way home from work I was stuck in traffic and I saw this fire truck coming behind me and it was totally trying to get through and it ended up going around us to the right turn lane then he kind of hesitated and then he ran right over the curb and kept going. Then he went to the next light and made a left turn from the right lane.

I halfway expected to see a flaming car run by and the truck spray it with water to put it out and have to chase the flaming passengers!

erm2003
07-24-2007, 06:44 AM
I didn't find anything on what the officals are saying, but the pastor of the church that owns the building thinks that it was vandals. Here's some linky (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/A90D534171336D9886257321003E0B79?OpenDocument) goodness for ya.

I had a feeling that it could be related to vandals. That's just sad. It really sucks they invested $80,000 in the roof too. Now they lose a big portion of that money since they have to tear down the part that was damaged by the fire. Hopefully they will get some kind of lead and find out who is responsible.

Brasel
07-24-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't know why, but I always get kind of excited when the Illinois towns like Collinsville and Troy get mentioned on the St. Louis news.

The_Amaster
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I mean, honestly, a Christian High School? That's just bucking for a lightning bolt from heaven to strike you dead right there.

phattonez
07-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I keep having dreams of calling 911 for different things. It's weird, I've never even done it in real life, and I always give more description than there needs to be.

I just hope that the vandalism thing doesn't get classified as a hate crime, I hate when they make punishments worse than they need to be when they add that on.