PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden is dead... ?

Prrkitty
07-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Supposedly Bin Laden is dead... by the following report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41576,00.html

So far I've not found this article on CNN or any other news feed. So I'm not sure whether to believe this or not.

Time will tell...

Cloral
07-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Hasn't he supposedly released tapes since then?

This guy might be simply trying to throw us off the search for him. This would be great news, but I won't believe it until we get confirmation in some way.

EatinCake
07-20-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is the actual date of the article being written, but it says at the top Wednesday, December 26, 2001. In that case I think we can assume it was either a ploy or fox news just having bad reporters :shurg:.

Brasel
07-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Whether or not he's actually dead, I'm quite surprised by the tone of the article. It almost seems like its making him seem like he's not such a bad guy. I understand that the source is from someone within his ranks, but it doesn't make sense that an American news source would write it this way. Maybe I should pay more attention and read it again, but whatever.

Edit* oh wow, I didn't notice the date on top of the page, nice catch EatinCake.

phattonez
07-20-2007, 08:32 PM
It seems to me that he's already dead, but just killing him doesn't really accomplish much. You know there's already a plan in place for when he dies. We may just be seeing that plan in action right now.

Prrkitty
07-20-2007, 08:42 PM
OH MY! I didn't notice the date of the article. The link for the post was in a group of links of current new on Foxnews home page. I am very sorry I didn't pay attention to all details. I will be sure to check dates concerning further news I read and post about.

Sorry y'all...

Starkist
07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, he certainly was not dead when that story was published.

Yes, he is a horrible person. Perhaps not Hiter-level but definitely in the same ballpark.

Gleeok
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, he certainly was not dead when that story was published.

Yes, he is a horrible person. Perhaps not Hiter-level but definitely in the same ballpark.

That kind of "hitler ballpark" mentality as you put it, seems to be a dime-a-dozen in that part of the world. Not a very good vacation hotspot if you ask me.

The article, been awhile but if I remember correctly, was a hoax.

King Aquamentus
07-20-2007, 10:38 PM
This might piss someone off, and I apologize for that. As a heads up, if he were dead, I could appreciate that. Greatly. A major threat gone, hey. :)

But...

I just wanna say...

that's it?!

For everyone fighting overseas, I hope that Bin Laden does bite it. Either way it happens, naturally or otherwise, it happens.

...but if this is true, why couldn't it have been something cool? like getting chopped up in a helicopter, or blown up? :<

phattonez
07-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Bin Laden himself is not the threat, it would be great if we could capture him and get information from him, but let's be serious. The only way to control the threat of terrorism is to add more security here and to make sure that the world does all that it can to stop terrorists.

deathbyhokie
07-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Bin Laden himself is not the threat, it would be great if we could capture him and get information from him, but let's be serious. The only way to control the threat of terrorism is to add more security here and to make sure that the world does all that it can to stop terrorists.

Yes, because Terrorism has been so easy to stamp out in the past (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents#11th-18th_century).

phattonez
07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
^^Can you please tell me where I said that it was easy?

MottZilla
07-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Bin Laden could never hope to reach the importance of Hitler. Bin Laden is a thug that will be forgotten. Hitler on the other hand actually did something notable.

phattonez
07-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Well actually, it seems that Bin Laden will be important (not on the scale of Hitler though) since he was the reason that the US became aggressive toward Afghanistan and why we really became concerned with Iraq.

Sam Atoms
07-21-2007, 01:42 AM
We could do a fine job stamping out terrorism if it were really of utmost importance to us and if it were all we cared about.

The question is, how many of your civil freedoms are you willing to give up?

Have you ever visited Israel?

phattonez
07-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Have you noticed that no one in the US sees terrorism as a threat anymore?

Prrkitty
07-21-2007, 02:01 AM
I know that *I* am afraid of terrorism and terrorists. The war in Iraq isn't what caused/created them... BUT... I don't see an end to them coming any time soon.

It's scary no matter how ya look at it.

deathbyhokie
07-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Have you noticed that no one in the US sees terrorism as a threat anymore?

Sees it as a threat, or have realized that cpnflict, in all it's forms, is a basic part of human existance, and not something we can do a whole hell of alot to stop?

phattonez
07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
^^Are you trying to say that we should do nothing to protect ourselves from death and destruction because it is a normal part of human existence? Should we have blown off when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor because it is a normal part of human existence? "Oh Japan, those humans. A pox on you."

Just because something is hard doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. Imagine if we took that approach with secession from England or the Civil War.

deathbyhokie
07-21-2007, 11:38 AM
^^Are you trying to say that we should do nothing to protect ourselves from death and destruction because it is a normal part of human existence? Should we have blown off when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor because it is a normal part of human existence? "Oh Japan, those humans. A pox on you."

Just because something is hard doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. Imagine if we took that approach with secession from England or the Civil War.

What I’m attempting to say is that conflict is a normal part of humanity. Look at the recent forum threads. There's conflict all over the place. People arguing, people trolling, and people trying to lighten the mood and getting attacked for it. Now when you pick up the scale of that, and give the folks involved weapons, you end up with terrorism. It's not the sort of thing we can stamp out. It's really not the sort of thing we can wage a war on. Can we take steps to protect at home? Sure. But many of those steps result in limiting or removing the civil liberties of American citizens. And that's something that we should avoid.

Allow me to point out the difference between a Nation attacking another Nation's military infrastructure, and an Organization attacking a Nation's civilian population. One of those is a declaration of war. The other is a terrorist attack.

There's also a difference between "hard" and "impossible to achieve through strength of arms"

phattonez
07-21-2007, 11:44 AM
So you are saying that we should not try to go and stamp out terrorists because it is impossible, as you say. That message would have been great after September 11th.

deathbyhokie
07-21-2007, 01:06 PM
So you are saying that we should not try to go and stamp out terrorists because it is impossible, as you say. That message would have been great after September 11th.

So you are saying that we shoud try to go and stamp out terrorists, whever they are found, using our limitless military resources, and keen understanding of what a terrorist is?

Chechnya, here we come!

phattonez
07-21-2007, 03:05 PM
It's a lot better than doing nothing.