PDA

View Full Version : Question about laptops...

moocow
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Is Toshiba good?

biggiy05
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Yes,

I think they can be over priced sometimes but they are very reliable and I've never had a problem with one. Even the old one that we tried to blow up with rockets.

Now give me a cookie because Fiyerstorm is being a dirty whore and won't give me one!

erm2003
07-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a Toshiba laptop and I love it. I was able to find a model with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1 GB RAM, and around a 150 or so GB hard drive for under $1000. It was actually about $800 after the mail-in rebate. I have always heard a lot of good news about Toshiba laptops so I really was looking at their models extensively and I am quite pleased with what I have.

Brasel
07-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I honestly haven't heard much about Toshiba's, as I'm an HP fanboy myself. Where are you going to be purchasing this laptop?

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm an HP fanboy like Anthony, but I like to think that computer brands, in most cases, are like gas stations. They're all accomplish mostly the same thing without much problem.

Sure, sometimes you'll hear horror stories about brand X, and glory stories about brand Y, but that's just the risk you have with mass marketed, bundled technology. Parts fail, issues crop up, and frustration is inevitable. I've always been very satisfied with my laptop, but I've heard some people say that HP is evil. I've had issues working on Compaqs before, but again, other people have spoken fondly of them.

I say, buy one that looks nice, has the features you want, and comes with a good service plan. You'll still be talking to someone who probably speaks english as a second or even third language, but as long as they replace the parts for free for a year or two, it doesn't matter.

And lastly, as a rule of thumb, you usually get what you pay for. If you're going to buy a laptop, don't expect to get a solid machine that will last you years if you only pay $400 for it new.

Prrkitty
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Paul and I have the Toshiba P15 - S470... and love it. It's kinda heavy for me to carry around but Paul has no problems with it. We had the hard drive fail (we think from overheating)... sent it in to be fixed and now it's all good.

If we buy another laptop I would only consider a Toshiba.

AtmaWeapon
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
The only complaint I have about Toshiba is they tend to have a myriad of applications that run in the tray and practically disable the laptop if you uninstall them. Other than that they are pretty good. Still HP makes dead sexy displays.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
The only complaint I have about Toshiba is they tend to have a myriad of applications that run in the tray and practically disable the laptop if you uninstall them.

Most laptops and even desktops will do this. In fact, according to completely factual Apple Computer Co. commercials, all PC's are bloated with crap that does nothing useful except make them inferior to Mac's, which are blessed by the blood of Christ, and will someday redeem all of mankind and usher in a golden age.

</rant>

Anyway, I got some decent software with my laptop, like the Corel Wordperfect 10 Suite, which sold me on that specific model. I don't like MS Office, and I've been using WP version 7 for years anyway. The other stuff doesn't slow it down, but because I'm a nerd and I can, I went through and disabled most of it simply because I don't use the features that require it. At most, I save a few MB of ram here and there. Anyone who knows the basics of manipulating Windows program extensions and whatnot can remove plenty of the unecessary factory crap without causing system instability.

Msconfig + services.msc + trial and error = smooth operating

This is, of course, only my experience with an HP laptop, but screwing with your computer and randomly uninstalling things will just about always lead to trouble, unless you know what you're doing. Still, Atma is exaggerating far more than he needs to to make his point.

Glitch
07-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Just get a Dell.

biggiy05
07-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Just get a Dell.

Oh jeez fuck dell. The desktops are complete shit. The laptops have gotten better over the years but still not worth buying.

MrCow
07-18-2007, 01:09 PM
thinkpads are ranked numero uno I believe.

moocow
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Just get a Dell.

They're being cunts about financing.

Brasel
07-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I tried to get one too recently, and they wanted like 30&#37; APR or some shit like that. So I got another HP from Circuit City...last time I'll ever buy a complete computer though, laptop or otherwise.

War Lord
07-18-2007, 07:00 PM
3 of the computers in my household are now dells. One of which is a laptop.
All 3 monitors being used in my house are Dell LCD's. All are fantastic.

You can't beat the prices and bundles they put together anymore. I'd rather not even build myself. I can snag a dell for cheap as hell, 99&#37; of the time with an LCD, slap in some ram and a video card and I'm great.

Fiyerstorm
07-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I hate to be the trendwhore but Macbooks are nice. :O

BUT if we're gonna stick with windows OS, Tobishas are indeed good...but I prefer Sony VAIOs, they're pretty hot and most of the time pricey :(

Whatever you do, DON'T GET A DELL. <3

If you're gonna have to be kinda economic about it, get an Asus, they've gotten so much better with quality while still keeping reasonable prices. There's even one that has the Windows Sideshow on the top of the laptop which is kinda hot. :O~

ps. biggiy plz. you get NOTHING.

Glitch
07-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh jeez fuck dell. The desktops are complete shit. The laptops have gotten better over the years but still not worth buying.

Their laptops completely kick ass. Excellent prices and quality.

mrz84
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
DO's pc is a dell and it works great. :kitty:

phattonez
07-19-2007, 11:21 AM

I have a Dell laptop and it works great. I don't know what everyone has against Dell, but it looks nice works right. For all that it has in it, it wasn't a bad price either.

Dechipher
07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I too agree with the MacBook. It all depends on what you want to do, but for 95&#37; of the population, MacBooks work great. I intend on getting a Dell Laptop sometime, just to balance everything out.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-19-2007, 01:48 PM
See, this is the sort of thing I was talking about. Person A says Dell blows chunks. Person B says Dell is awesome. Person C says Dell is okay, but so is Toshiba, and also HP is for queers.

Like I said, you should get the one with the right features, looks cool, and has the best warranty and financing. Expect to have an issue or two on average, and don't be surprised if you have worse for some reason, because that's why you got the one with the awesome warranty.