PDA

View Full Version : Great PS1 games? My collection is lacking.

punkonjunk1024
07-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Top priority is survival horror. Other than that, I'm open to anything.

Here is where it's at right now, and I'm looking for more to play (PS1 on PSP is amazing)

Bushido blade
Bushido blade2
Castlevania SOTN
Castlevania Chronicles
Chocobo racing
Clock Tower
Clock Tower II
Diablo
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Dynasty warriors
FF7
FF8
FFtactics
G-Darius
Grandia
Intelligent Qube
Legend of Legaia
Lode Runner
Lunar 2
Lunar Silver Star Story
Megaman 8
Megaman x4-6
Megaman legends
Megaman legends 2
Metal gear solid
Monopoly
Parasite eve
Parasite eve 2
R type delta
Silent Hill
Star ocean 2
THPS2
Threads of fate
Thrill Kill
Warcraft 2
Xenogears

...is what I have so far. I want pretty much anythign worth playing on PS1 that I've missed. I know I must be missing some really neat stuff. Any good FPS for PS1?

mrz84
07-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't know about any good fps on the psp, but there are a wealth of rpgs I could recommend to you. As for survival horror, the only games you don't got listed are the Resident Evil games, but better, less pinicky versions of the first 3 games can be found on the gamecube. And by Pinicky I mean the control setup doesn't hate me and cause me to die.....a million times...

Darth Marsden
07-15-2007, 01:01 PM
The list of PS1 games I have (those in italics are ones I would recommend):

Alundra - Adventures in Alundra (It's kinda like Zelda 3)
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross
Crash Bandicoot I, II, III, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bash
Croc I, II
Dexter's Lab - ...Mandark's Lab?!
Die Hard Trilogy
Duke Nukem Land of the Babes, Time to Kill, Total Meltdown
Glover
Lethal Enforcers I, II
Medievil I, II
Megeman Legends I, II
Point Blank I, II, III
Tactics Ogre
Toy Story Racer
Vandal Hearts I, II
Virtua Cop Elite Edition
Xenogears

For FPS games, I also have the Time Crisis series (for the PS1 - Time Crisis, Time Crisis: Project Titan) which is uniformly excellent, and most of the Bond games, of which The World is Not Enough is probably the best.

MottZilla
07-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Final Fantasy Chronicles isn't bad, though Chrono Trigger suffers load times. Descent and Descent Maximum are good space shooters. And rememebr Doom and Final Doom are available on PSX I believe. You have most of the games in your list that I would have thought of.

Kamaria
07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
All the PS1 Resident Evils should go on your list.

Cloral
07-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Do you guys know of any good places other than the internet to get older games like psx games these days? It seems like all the game stores have stopped stocking anything older than PS2 around here.

MottZilla
07-15-2007, 03:03 PM
You just have to look around for local used game shops, but online is probably best for selection.

Darth Marsden
07-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Legally? Well shit, you've got me there.

:D

Try eBay. You'll find all sorts of useless crap there, including old PS1 games.

Warlock
07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is great. It's a spinoff of the Megaman Legends series. Basically it's a bunch of different "minigames" but most are not exactly minigames so much as small, fully developed games. Probably the best one in there is sort of a 3d Rampage type game where you control a huge mech and get to demolish buildings and enemies. Ton of fun. There's also a puzzle game, an RPG-like game (I forget exactly how this one was played, but it's more of a Might & Magic type RPG I think.. not like Final Fantasy), and some others I can't remember. Overall though it's a lot of fun.

Also, haven't played it but I heard a lot of bad things about MMX6. Mott probably knows.. I think I read that the series was supposed to end with MMX5 and then Capcom forced them to make more games that make no sense in the storyline and ended up sucking. Also I think this was the one with the Maverick that throws its poop at you.

I'd also add Final Fantasy 9 to the list.. I think people tend to sell it short because it's super-deformed style like EVERY Final Fantasy before 7 started with the realistic style. But it's a fun game. Though personally I hated Final Fantasy 8, so I dunno about that one (worst magic system ever.. also, hope you enjoy summon animations..... a lot)

Cloral
07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Though personally I hated Final Fantasy 8, so I dunno about that one (worst magic system ever.. also, hope you enjoy summon animations..... a lot)

Actually if you junctioned your magic properly you could do almost as much damage with your regular attacks, making the summons essentially pointless. But that underscores the basic problem with the game. It was all about gathering a bunch of the best magic and junctioning it to your stats. Nothing else really mattered.

There was something about FF9 that I didn't like. Can't really put my finger on it. It wasn't the graphics though. I think it was something about the way the game flowed or the way the storyline progressed or something like that. I didn't hate it, but I never did bother to finish it.

Darth Marsden
07-17-2007, 03:34 AM
I haven't really played much of FFIX, just enough to et to the first save point, but from what I tried, it seemed like a fun game. Should probably try to get into it again one of these days.

I did, however, get much further with FFVIII, which I enjoyed very much. I think the point of summoning in that game is not so much to cause uber damage to your opponents, which it does, but to strengthen its bond with the character it's assigned to. As Cloral says, with the proper junctions your normal attacks become much more powerful, so it's interesting experimenting with that.

Also: Triple Triad. Hell of a fun game. There's a couple of fan-made replicas, notably this one (http://ttg.qhimm.com/). Be warned, you will become addicted.

zeldapro
07-17-2007, 04:27 AM
The only game i have for ps1 is ff4 and it's a good game.

DarkDragoonX
07-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Alundra - Adventures in Alundra
Medievil I, II

Seconded. Alundra in particular is a brilliant game.

Also, punkojunk, the fact that you already own the Lunar remakes preemptively negates my ability to plug them yet again. Jerk.

As for survival horror, the only games you don't got listed are the Resident Evil games

Wrong-o! Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare is a great survival horror game worth the attention of any fan of the genre!

Also, although it's more "survival sci-fi" then survival horror, Galerians is another awesome game worth your time if you're a survival horror fan. In Galerians, you use psionic abilities instead of guns. To "reload," you must inject yourself with psi-enhancing chemicals, with several different chemicals that give you different psi effects (such as pyrokinesis). Use your psionic powers TOO much, and your mind will start to "short out" and create a massive psionic storm that does major damage to surrounding enemies, but also drains your own health quite rapidly. The only way to escape certain death from this is to inject a certain chemical to reduce your psionic stress. It's a very fun game with some unique gameplay mechanics that make it stand out in the crowd.

Other games I can heartily recommend off the top of my head include:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Wild Arms
Einhander
Vanguard Bandits
Arc the Lad Collection
Elemental Gearbolt
Silhouette Mirage
Thunder Force V
RayStorm
RayCrisis
Final Fantasy Origins (A *REAL* FF1 remake, as opposed to the easy mode GBA and PSP versions)
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny 2
Soul Blade

... and that's all I can think of at the moment. Later I might dig through my collection and see what else I can recommend. Note that basically anything that has a "Working Designs" label on it is great, and must be acquired immediately.

Warlock
07-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I haven't really played much of FFIX, just enough to et to the first save point, but from what I tried, it seemed like a fun game. Should probably try to get into it again one of these days.

I did, however, get much further with FFVIII, which I enjoyed very much. I think the point of summoning in that game is not so much to cause uber damage to your opponents, which it does, but to strengthen its bond with the character it's assigned to. As Cloral says, with the proper junctions your normal attacks become much more powerful, so it's interesting experimenting with that.

Also: Triple Triad. Hell of a fun game. There's a couple of fan-made replicas, notably this one (http://ttg.qhimm.com/). Be warned, you will become addicted.

Well it's not so much the summoning that bothered me. It's having to watch the 1 minute summon animation EVERY time. That got really tedious.

I also think the whole Draw system as a whole was stupid. The basic idea of it has you *not* killing monsters so you can sit there and endlessly draw all the magic you needed from them. That is tedious busywork. I want to kill crap, not play magical siphon all day. I was also not a fan of the leveling monsters. The game's easier at lvl 1 than lvl 99 - that's dumb. Granted, Oblivion used this same system... which I dislike... but at least it bothered to scale up the monsters so when you were fighting harder crap it wasn't a bunny rabbit hitting you for 5/6 of your life.

Also disliked Triple Triad as a general rule. On it's own, it's ok (though the rules are never really explained well enough - at least in any of the FF's I've seen that had it). But I think it takes away from the game too much. I'd rather they just stick to less in-depth minigames like the crap in FF7. I think it's all the card collecting that bothered me though. It's too intertwined with the regular game. I dunno, I can't exactly explain it but it just never sat easy with me.

Glenn the Great
07-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I have to put in a good word for FF9. I loved this game, and I really think I enjoyed it more thoroughly than FF7. The characters and music were awesome, and I thought that the battle system worked remarkably well. The game felt very well-balanced, and the system of learning active and passive abilities was very addicting, rewarding, and not complicated at all.

The only real criticism I have of the game is the fact that it featured several missable items (you couldn't go back and buy some items after you moved to another disk). This meant that it was possible to entirely miss out on certain abilities (since they are tied to pieces of equipment.) The worst aspect of this flaw was that the end-game synthesis recipies required many of these items which were no longer obtainable. This required you to know in advance what you'd need, so that you could save it up and have enough stuff to outfit the characters with best possible gear.

Warlock
07-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Sadly missables are half the reason I almost never finish Final Fantasy games. That and all the secret extra crap. I always want to do all of it before I beat the game. I think the only FFs I've *actually* beaten are FF6 (many, many times) and finally Final Fantasy IV on the GBA. Which is a little depressing :P I could have beaten FF7 though. Most of the others I got sidetracked somewhere in the middle and it's too hard to re-start in the middle of the damn game when you haven't played it for a year or more :P

Glenn the Great
07-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I know how that is. With FFX and FFX-2, I'd get sidetracked, do something else for awhile, and when I come back to the game, I've totally forgotten what has happened. That speaks a lot for the forgettableness of the FFX stories, for one thing. Those were a failure. Too many annoying characters and annoying situations in those games.

punkonjunk1024
07-19-2007, 04:28 AM
glenn can you please not derail my thread? We're discussing PS1 games. That's a PS2 game. kthx.

Also, haven't played it but I heard a lot of bad things about MMX6. Mott probably knows.. I think I read that the series was supposed to end with MMX5 and then Capcom forced them to make more games that make no sense in the storyline and ended up sucking. Also I think this was the one with the Maverick that throws its poop at you.Lulz, I know what your talking about. I realized a few months ago that I am an absolutely rediculous megaman fanatic. I haven't played all of the original megaman games because they bore me, but everything after that... The entire X series besides the PS2 games, The entire battle network series, the zero series, and a bunch of others... and they're pretty much my favorite games ever. I spent about 4 hours reading wikipedia info about the series and ties together and ect, and yeah, I read about the X6 thing, and I can totally see how 5 was supposed to be the end. I didn't mind x6 though. The thing I thought was the funniest is that zero was originally supposed to be the main character in the entire series, and it was changed because it they thought he wouldn't be well recieved, so they swapped X and Zero as support and lead.

But yeah. The PS1 X games were awesome, 5 being about the best. God damnit was that hard in the end.

Anyhow. Yeah, I don't like resident evil that much, I've only played the first and it didn't really do much justice to the survival horror genre. It's not scary, and the controls are unusually clunky, even for a survival horror.

As for FF games, 6 and 8 are my absolute favorites. I don't know why 8 gets such a bad rap... I wish square would have released it as it's own unique RPG. It's missing many final fantasy elements - which I find refreshing and exciting.

And I will bet you anything it would have been better recieved had it had a non-FF name.
9 I almost finished. Maybe I did finish it. I don't know. It wasn't much of a follow-up to 8, imho.
And 7 kinda blew, considering all the hype surrounding it. It's not super well translated. Some of the language is pretty capcom-esque. And besides that it's pretty bland as far as RPG's go. *shrug*

vegeta1215
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
The only real criticism I have of the game is the fact that it featured several missable items (you couldn't go back and buy some items after you moved to another disk). This meant that it was possible to entirely miss out on certain abilities (since they are tied to pieces of equipment.) The worst aspect of this flaw was that the end-game synthesis recipies required many of these items which were no longer obtainable. This required you to know in advance what you'd need, so that you could save it up and have enough stuff to outfit the characters with best possible gear.

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm a completionist many times when it comes to games, so I don't like to miss things. Last time I tried playing through FFVII I sat with a list in hand of "never again" items that I couldn't go back for later. It certainly detracts from the experience, but it is my fault for worrying about it.

That's one thing I like about Zelda games - you can pretty much get everything at any point in the game. The only exceptions I can recall are in OoT and The Minish Cap. In OoT, one of the deku stick capacity upgrades you get from showing a mask (skull mask?) to the Deku theatre in the Lost Woods is misable once you become adult link for the first time (I think it's a glitch). In TMC, if you don't save the sick old man surrounded by the ghost in the tower in the clouds, you can miss golden arrows. (I think that's what he gives you)

erm2003
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
That's one thing I like about Zelda games - you can pretty much get everything at any point in the game. The only exceptions I can recall are in OoT and The Minish Cap. In OoT, one of the deku stick capacity upgrades you get from showing a mask (skull mask?) to the Deku theatre in the Lost Woods is misable once you become adult link for the first time (I think it's a glitch). In TMC, if you don't save the sick old man surrounded by the ghost in the tower in the clouds, you can miss golden arrows. (I think that's what he gives you)

I think I was still able to get the deku upgrades later in the game. I just went back as a kid, borrowed the mask again, and the upgrade was available. That is definitely right about the golden arrows in TMC though.

mrz84
07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I like to complete a game as much as possible. With FF9 in particular, I had to start over twice on it. Once because I ofund out about an item I missed for a sweet weapon later and a second time because some punk stole my ps1 memory card.

DarkDragoonX
07-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I spent about 4 hours reading wikipedia info about the series and ties together and ect, and yeah, I read about the X6 thing, and I can totally see how 5 was supposed to be the end. I didn't mind x6 though.

Well, I found X5 to be distinctly less enjoyable than X4. X6, however, marks the point in my mind where the X series officially "jumped the shark" as it were. I mean really, ressurecting zero again? And X7 was just flat-out outright terrible. On the other hand, X8 is actually quite good... a worthy addition to the series.

The thing I thought was the funniest is that zero was originally supposed to be the main character in the entire series, and it was changed because it they thought he wouldn't be well recieved, so they swapped X and Zero as support and lead.

Which makes me happy. Zero isn't a bad character, but I prefer Megaman any day. The feact that they keep shifting the plot to characters that are NOT Megaman while still keeping "Megaman" in the game titles pisses me off beyond human comprehension.

As for FF games, 6 and 8 are my absolute favorites. I don't know why 8 gets such a bad rap...

That would be because it's a terrible, terrible game.

I wish square would have released it as it's own unique RPG. It's missing many final fantasy elements - which I find refreshing and exciting. And I will bet you anything it would have been better recieved had it had a non-FF name.

I think the Final Fantasy brand is the only thing that saves the game from being lost to history as "that one really crappy RPG." The junction system, while somewhat novel, is basically nothing more then a system in which your magic is fueled by endless card games, drain sessions (wherein you just "drain" a momnster of like a hour instead of just killing the fucking thing), anditem collection. The fact that your stats are based on how much of X magic you have junctioned to it essentially restricts you from using your junctioned spells, as doing so will lower your stats. Thee sheer amount of micromanagement involved in using your fucking spells is just a headache, and not my idea of fun at all.

Also, the limit break system is terrible. Just junction a bunch of HP on to yourself so that you have a good HP pool even at "low health," and limit break every boss in the game to death in seconds. That was easy!

The story started out pretty good... right up until... oh, right around the time a russian space witch starts throwing monsters of the moon at the planet. Christ, just thinking about it makes my head hurt.

Cloral
07-20-2007, 12:38 PM
X8 started good in my opinion. But the vehicle levels pissed me off beyond belief. And the flying one had a glitch that apparently made it impossible to complete.

The one thing I liked about FF8 I think was the fact that they for the first time gave the characters dialog that actually seemed natural.
As for kicking boss butt with limit breaks, you could really cheat that system. All you had to do was cast Aura on yourself which increased your chances of getting a limit break, and then hit cancel repeatedly when your turn came up until you got a limit break. You could be doing a limit break every turn even with nearly full health. That made defeating even Ultima Weapon a pretty trivial task.