PDA

View Full Version : Something I never understood about palettes.

Plissken
07-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I always wondered why the overworld type of DMap will still only allow you to use one screen palette. In a lot of the more frequently used tilesets a lot of different areas use different palettes and as far as I can tell you can only have one per DMap while playing in ZC, which would be the one you set in the DMap options. So is this something that was just never brought up since people weren't just using the classic set or is there someway to make it so that in ZC you can have two screen palettes working at once but on different screens, on the same map/DMap?

If you aren't really sure want I mean then imagine this. On map one (which will be the first DMap) you have under the DMap settings the overworld palette selected. But if you want a swamp on that map to use the swamp screen palette then you can make it look like that in ZQ to help you build it but when you go to ZC it doesn't use the specific screen palette you selected for it but rather always uses the DMap palette.

Freedom
07-14-2007, 11:54 AM
You can use as many dmaps as you wish on 1 map.
Everytime you warp, you warp from one dmap to another.
SO...
when you build your swamp area on map 1 you simply warp to it to change the dmap properties, like color, music, etc.
if on map 1 you want 40 different areas to have 40 different looks, you simply set up 40 dmaps, and then warp to those areas, through scrolling side warp, insta warp, stepping into a cave, or whatever.

Plissken
07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
So for every screen connecting to a forest or a swamp I'd just (usually) side warp there? Sounds fairly easy. I never thought about using two DMaps, I always just assumed you had to have one DMap for every map you want to use, thanks Freedom!

C-Dawg
07-18-2007, 05:28 PM
The Map is the raw data (combos, enemies, items, etc.) The DMap is what the editor does with that data.

Be mindful of something: if you change palettes across two Dmaps and warp between them using a Scrolling Warp, you will get some funky color effects as the screen changes. Best to use other kinds of warps for a cleaner transisition.

Plissken
07-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks, I was just planning on using a blackout warp.